Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Unlimited_Lifes t1_j2rljpc wrote

I guess this is the g2 price drop I’ve been waiting for.

Actually-Yo-Momma t1_j2sjukv wrote

G2 just doesn’t seem worth it unless you have excessive money to spend. C2 is very close performance and is way better value. This is coming from a guy who has 3 OLED TVs but could never justify getting the G2

UniqueNameIdentifier t1_j2swrb8 wrote

The warranty on the high-end OLED models is much better, covering all panel faults for 5 years (G2 and Z).

willyc3766 t1_j2us9i2 wrote

Best Buy C2 with 5yr geek squad is still cheaper. 65” C2 through Greentoe including 5yr warranty with burn-in coverage was even wayyyy cheaper than BB and way cheaper than buying a G2.

professorDissociate t1_j2wm6lh wrote

This is the kind of domain experience I needed. Thanks. Im gonna go bug my wife now.

beavertownneckoil t1_j2t7oku wrote

Is there a big difference between the A2 and C2?

Actually-Yo-Momma t1_j2teuh6 wrote

Not sure why you’re getting downvoted by yes there absolutely is. C2 is notably better than B2 as well side by side but to be honest, i can’t tell the different anymore once i put them in different rooms. The A2 different is large though

C2 is physically brighter than B2 though but that only matters if your room gets alot of natural light

beavertownneckoil t1_j2tg3nc wrote

Thanks very much. I purchased my first OLED tv during black Friday. The A2 for £550. I'm thoroughly impressed with it, was just curious how much better the others could be. Thanks again

Actually-Yo-Momma t1_j2thqab wrote

Going from a non OLED to an OLED TV is extremely noticeable regardless of which model. Enjoy!!

Deja-Vuz t1_j2t13tq wrote

Yeah, it's so dammed expensive. All the money goes on fucking rent smh

professorDissociate t1_j2wmaxd wrote

Rent, childcare, and food. I spend 18k/yr on just getting my toddlers care while I work.

Deja-Vuz t1_j2x9tz7 wrote

most American spend all their earnings on rent and can't enjoy a good lifestyle. It's sad. It's crazy... Daycare should be free or almost free. We live in the most developed nation yet we still live in this shitty greedy backward lifestyle...

cute_polarbear t1_j2zpxnb wrote

Yeah. I am top 1-2% in income and thinking 2x about upgrading my 4 year old TV or a new espresso machine (Jura). Granted I am in one of the most expensive cities in US with multiple kids (and thinking about their college). That's the other thing, top tier private university is insane amount of money in US (it's like 60-70k usd not including anything else per year now)... Retirement is still a while away, but also thinking about that...

Slitted t1_j30r124 wrote

You’ll love the Jura.

cute_polarbear t1_j31lx8p wrote

I've went back and forth among hand ground, drip, including pods, and etc., I think going to bite the bullet and reduce some expenses for a month or so to get the Jura.

Slitted t1_j31qztc wrote

That’s the spirit. I love a V60 or Chemex, and used to be happy with a quick and dirty aeropress daily in lieu of those, but a super auto makes those redundant very quickly.

Doesn’t need to be a Jura necessarily. I’ve got a budget Magnifica Evo from De Longhi which makes equally good espressos (and thus americanos) as my Jura ENA 8. The difference is in the ease of making milk drinks and some maintenance.

Believe me, the super auto pays for itself very quickly!

Deja-Vuz t1_j2zxto0 wrote

A lot of people can't be retired as early as they wish. It's sad. Work till the end I guess.

cute_polarbear t1_j30f0um wrote

Being 100% realistic, even with proper retirement (financial) planning, I am likely going to retire at somewhere where cost of living (at that time) is more reasonable.

professorDissociate t1_j2yk5tk wrote

Europe’s infrastructure would like a HUGE word with you… TL;DR, Europe is way more developed. I guess that’s what happens when the local government gives more than half a rats ass about its people.

Check out their public transport for example. It’s fucking amazing

Edit: lol. My TLDR was longer than my tidbit. How great.

cute_polarbear t1_j2zp0zd wrote

Yeah... Try multiple kids, and planning for their college... I made peace with my 4 year old TV....

deercreekgamer4 t1_j2u33gc wrote

I got a g2 open box cheaper than a brand new c2 at the same price and I still get my 5 year warranty from lg with the g series compared to the two year with the C series

erc_82 t1_j2rycmj wrote

We just got a G2 at Best Buy on sale and Open box, I cant see why you would want a 70% brighter TV unless there is a ton of natural light.

Weimark t1_j2s4f8s wrote

Well, because ... in some places there is a ton of natural light.

neodymiumex t1_j2s5iez wrote

If it allows them to get rid of all the brightness limiters then that will be a huge improvement. The screen dimming during a static shot is very distracting.

crono220 t1_j2to86q wrote

I'm looking forward to seeing how much it goes down. Currently, the 83-inch is nearly 5k

[deleted] t1_j2s3lb5 wrote

[deleted]

NanoGeek t1_j2sbkd1 wrote

If you already have the Apple TV, can't you just leave it disconnected from the internet? I'm able to use my LG as an entirely dumb TV that way.

cL0udBurn t1_j2sc9ac wrote

Just to piggyback on this discussion...I was given an Apple TV 4K for Christmas and it's a fuckin gamechanger!

No more shitty slow Samsung "Smart" UI.

chilifngrdfunk t1_j2smzys wrote

Can't wait to replace my Samsung "smart" tv for this very reason lol I mean $250 for a 55" 4k tv was pretty good and we bought it almost 4 years ago so we've definitely got our money's worth but holy hell does that UI lag like crazy lol

SwivelingToast t1_j2sm5zf wrote

We use Disney + constantly, and the smart tv apps are all unbearably slow, so I use the PS5. It's overkill for sure, but when I push a button the screen responds instead of waiting 10 seconds or so.

Really wish I could just buy a screen, I have so much crap plugged in that the "Smart" functions are a waste.

NanoGeek t1_j2soorc wrote

A dumb screen with the same specs would probably cost a good bit more since they'd be losing out on the option to datamine what you watch.

SwivelingToast t1_j2sp0e4 wrote

I just did a bit of looking, it seems the dumb screens are mostly for commercial applications and the prices are sky high. Guess we're stuck with Smart screens for now.

brotherenigma t1_j2vyg16 wrote

Which is why projectors and AVRs still exist. More expensive? Definitely. Worth the price? Also definitely.

pantslespaul t1_j2scf0w wrote

100%. I connect my TV to the internet maybe once a year to check for updates and then immediately off again.

NanoGeek t1_j2sosg2 wrote

I've never even done that. Are the updates worth getting?

pantslespaul t1_j2srscr wrote

I think some of the older models added major features like VRR and such after release, but in general probably not. I’d assume there’s some patched vulnerabilities but if it’s air gapped from the internet I’m not sure how much it matters.

uncoolcat t1_j2srwnb wrote

Updates can be worth installing if they solve problems that the TV has (which can be numerous and can vary substantially between models). The documentation associated with a given update should detail what changes it makes and/or problems it corrects.

If the TV is Internet connected then you definitely want to install updates regularly, as they might patch security vulnerabilities.

abusivecat t1_j2skqck wrote

That's what I did on my parents LG. The fucking update pop ups are the most annoying thing and webOS is a clustered mess even with the smart remote. Apple TV is king.

muskratboy t1_j2sq0ns wrote

Smart TVs collect data on everything you watch to be sold on to advertisers. This includes everything you steam, watch local off disks, everything… they actually collect data at the screen level.

TVs are the prices they are because they are subsidized by this entire other business they run, selling your data.

Of course the data randomized and not tied specifically to you, and if you don’t have the TV on the internet it can’t do this at all.

But smart TVs are 100% designed to collect and sell data to advertisers. The bright side is, it means they can be pretty dang cheap… because again, they are actively making money for the TV company, so they want everyone to have one.

lobsterbash t1_j2squ74 wrote

Feels like it's just a matter of time before these fucking modern parasitic TVs require internet connection to even work. As a television.

busta_wolf t1_j2s72ci wrote

How much more seamless can it be? My G1 is completely flush to the wall lol

xondk t1_j2tw8nm wrote

I'm sure there's a few atoms of clearance, that they can shave off and call it better.

We are hitting diminished returns on improvements on TV's in my book, 8k makes little sense because you can't really sit close enough to perceive the full effect and still see all the screen, and you can get 120hz 4k with a great image, we've reached the "it is 'better', 'faster' 'brighter'" plateau, which a lot of phones have been at, trying to justify you upgrading.

pissedoffcalifornian t1_j2ubv5k wrote

How’d you get it flush? Did you put power behind it? Or just use a cord hider?

busta_wolf t1_j2ug1yk wrote

Routed all cables through the wall.

pissedoffcalifornian t1_j2ugd7w wrote

What set up did you use back there? Because online it seems like a 50/50 on if you can actually get it flush with some set ups

busta_wolf t1_j2ugptx wrote

What do you mean like the amount of cables?

pissedoffcalifornian t1_j2uh09e wrote

Like for the power, did you run the power cable behind the wall too? Or did you install an outlet behind the TV? Because the main issue I’ve come across which has made me hesitant to put an outlet behind the TV, is even with that there, the cable may push the TV away from the wall, depending on how small or big that outlet is.

UzahNameAlreadyTaken t1_j2uuf2n wrote

The G1 was a pain. When I installed mine, I basically calculated and measured out where the hdmi would connect in relation to the tv’s borders and marked all studs. Cut my hole to ensure the plate was right behind where the a/v wires would connect and was lucky enough to not have a stud where I wanted my hole. For the power I used a power bridge with a recessed outlet and also made sure it would line up with some part of the recessed track on the rear panel. The plates for the power outlet and a/v wires would have pushed the tv away from the wall but thankfully I had put some shiplap here and so I cut out more of the wood around the plates so they were flush to the sheet rock instead of the wood. I ran the tv’s power cable up the wire track on the rear panel to line up with my outlet and secured it along with any extra slack. Before the tv went flush, I popped the hdmi cables in place , plugged the power in and pushed it completely flat. So the cables and power sort of come off the tv directly into their respective hole (one power and one av wall plate).

The right way to have really done it would have been to get a recessed box and just make one big cutout behind the back of the set. But what I did worked out well and it looks super clean on the wall, and sits flush.

spacemannspliff t1_j2uuhn9 wrote

You can get recessed outlet boxes or have a carpenter custom fab a recessed box with power and a big conduit.

busta_wolf t1_j2vfrvt wrote

Oh I ran it through the wall as well. It would be impossible to have the outlet right behind a g1

doxypoxy t1_j2rwueo wrote

Meanwhile the G1 (yes, one) continues to be close to USD 2000 for the 55 inch model in my country. Sigh

pirate135246 t1_j2uyrpe wrote

No reason to buy the g series it’s like the 3090 vs the 3090 ti, the performance difference doesn’t match the price difference

Ghozer t1_j2sazsl wrote

"LG calls its new One Wall Design approach “ultra-seamless” and says that it will leave no visible gap between the wall and the G3"

yet gap is clearly visible, on the included 'promo' image

[deleted] t1_j2riyfa wrote

Today I learnt that the outside brightness is well over 10,000 nits. Hdr has a long way to go

Upper_Decision_5959 t1_j2un3rh wrote

Are they going to use QD-OLED on the G3 or will they still stick with the WOLED's.

CachapaDobleQueso t1_j2t63tv wrote

That sounds pretty great, but the headline i want to read its something like "new OLED models will not suffer from burn-in". Or at least "will last longer before burn-in".

wiintah_was_broken t1_j2vbuqw wrote

Back when I had the C vs G dilemma, I ended up just getting the CX 65" and creating a finished inset/hole with a heavy duty mounting arm tucked in there. So the arm and any excess backing of the TV could be pressed right into the wall. It gets pretty close to flush - and I could probably get it even closer with some wiggling. I think I saved like $5k, if I'm remembering the GX price at the time.

Side

Facing

donotgogenlty t1_j2stbym wrote

#Why do these titles read like a contractor talking shop about something to me?!?

sixfourtykilo t1_j2t6hw6 wrote

TV bright.

Can mount close to wall.

Price tag big.

donotgogenlty t1_j2t8kjh wrote

Listen Startrek, take your crew and beam me up a cup of Joe houseaboat that?

johnjohn9312 t1_j2tswce wrote

When the tv is like flush to the wall with no gap, how do you plug stuff into the back?

rwster t1_j2tv59l wrote

Recess in the wall, or conduit leading to the other side of the wall

gunghogary t1_j2v1ce8 wrote

That’s cool, but please have matte screen. More anti reflective coatings please. Can’t even watch my bright ass tv during the day, it might as well be a projector.

Spell3ound t1_j2v3qjc wrote

So the 42 inch and 48inch not getting any brightness love?

ben1481 t1_j353omr wrote

perfect my new C2 was only slightly burning my eyes

Jamie00003 t1_j2t1vyd wrote

Does the latest Apple TV have hdmi 2.1a support, or can this be added on via software? I’m overdue an upgrade for my telly and really interested in that fast frame rate switching feature

mei740 t1_j2uhjw6 wrote

We’ll just great. I need to change everything AGAIN!!!

routerg0d t1_j2uhlsg wrote

When was the last time you saw someone say “I’d buy it if it was thinner”?

Thinner means expensive. They keep doing things nobody’s asking for to maintain price premiums.

von_sip t1_j2uoe9y wrote

I’m confused. Isn’t how close it is to the wall totally dependent on the mount you use?

JKJ420 t1_j2wahf6 wrote

They use a special mount and the back of the TV is designed to absorb the mouth height.

von_sip t1_j2wrxah wrote

Thanks. I’m in the market for a TV for the first time in like 10 years and a lot has changed

JKJ420 t1_j2x5qau wrote

No other manufacturer does this (AFAIK), so the rest should be familiar ground :-).