Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

MrArkrath t1_j2y0dk5 wrote

This OP literally just found the same reports on different brand names and sent them to different Subreddits.

swaggercatr t1_j2wovvg wrote

That's great. I have a 17" ROG Zephyrus and I don't carry my laptop every day, but once or twice a month. Gaming and productivity will both benefit from the larger screen.

Avieshek OP t1_j315mew wrote

I am glad that we have an 18 incher when the rest are 14 and 16 instead of killing the 17 as the MacBooks or everyone introducing their own standards.

kento472b t1_j2xrlcf wrote

I’ve never understood the lack of a “Idgaf about weight or thickness, give me a 27in laptop that’s 3 inches thick and has discrete gpu and excellent cooling.” Market.

TooMuchPretzels t1_j2xzw1o wrote

Man I have a 17” MSI and that bastard stays on my desk at home with an HDMI cord permanently attached.

It’s hotter than the surface of the sun, sounds like a poorly-maintained 737 landing at a Moroccan airport, and it’ll get you about an hour and twenty minutes of battery life if you try to do anything but look at spreadsheets on it.

I like everything about it but I wish I had gotten the 15” version.

Pure_Mist_S t1_j2y274c wrote

It’s an aside, but why does landing at a Moroccan airport sound different?

charles62752 t1_j305dkj wrote

I would assume because most peoples visual knowlege of Morocco comes from the movies where it's depicted as desert, sandy, and hot. Basically a North African middle east. All that adds up to clugs and chugs in an engine.

TheUmgawa t1_j2z5f1p wrote

It's not even a laptop, at this point. We're back to the era of "portables," in that the battery life is pretty much just enough to make it from one power plug to another, or maybe get your game saved before the battery dies.

beatenmeat t1_j2yzve6 wrote

It’s still easier to transport if you have travel frequently. I could still fit that in my bag if I was flying all over the place often enough like I used to, and it’s still excellent for playing demanding games. Can’t exactly fit my desktop in a backpack though. Now that I don’t travel I don’t need a laptop so I just use a PC, but if I ever find myself having to make trips often enough I’m damn well getting another beast of a laptop.

UglyInThMorning t1_j31l74r wrote

Falcon Northwest does these. They’re like 4 grand but they do exist.

MetaDragon11 t1_j2xqjxk wrote

Im surprised they havent impemented a folding screen thing yet. Making it a bit bigger or making a double screen. 90% of laptops arent sitting on laps these days.

goblinhoe1 t1_j2zl15g wrote

The argument for “better productivity” for laptop displays this big is pointless unless these will have 16x10 aspect ratios and atleast 1440p resolution

Avieshek OP t1_j31eew9 wrote

They do have 16:10 and at least 1440p if not 4K

Reddit_newguy24 t1_j3057wd wrote

I think OP works for one of these publications to boost traffic and engagement. It’s all he/she/they ever do in this sub. Should be banned tbh.

NapaAirDome t1_j30hu1y wrote

I hope people buying laptops like these also put insurance on them

Sir-Greggor-III t1_j30ud79 wrote

I wish companies would begin making thicker and heavier laptops. Don't get me wrong the idea of paper thins ones like some are getting to are nice but I'd sacrifice it if it meant I could have a significantly larger battery or better specs. Definitely should be an option.

TurdFrgoson t1_j37803g wrote

You can buy small portable external monitors that run off of usbc/thunderbolt for a laptop.

MINIMAN10001 t1_j2w3cpv wrote

I have very little opinions on laptops.

18 inches moving to a slightly larger screen. Fine play, I tend to feel like laptops could be a little bigger. That would do the trick more or less.

But you wouldn't find me grabbing a laptop over 60 hz, I'm not down for spending more money for a feature which requires better hardware, particularly for something battery backed.

But on the other hand it's ROG so it is on brand.

I get a chuckle any time my brother brings up the fact he regrets moving to 120 hz because he used to not be able to notice anything wrong with 60 hz.

−18

Avieshek OP t1_j2w6fuu wrote

250Hz

Strangely on Windows even on desktop, one has to manually enable high-refresh-rate under settings and hence many go ears by without ever enabling it.

−2

Stonethecrow77 t1_j2wtv7j wrote

This is insane to want to continually increase the size. A laptop is meant to be portable. Anything my much larger loses its portability. They make docking stations for a reason. Buy a bigger monitor.

If you want to leave it stationary, you really want a desktop.

−19

Avieshek OP t1_j2wu1vn wrote

The bezels have gotten slimmer, the laptop overall is the same.

Stonethecrow77 t1_j2wul02 wrote

I am talking about people saying they want even larger... 21"... 27"...

18" to me is a pretty sweet spot.

−27

Avieshek OP t1_j2wupx2 wrote

Then you should participate in that thread otherwise it will only confuse new participants in your original messaging.

Moscato359 t1_j2xc8ih wrote

Well different people have different wants

Don't get mad when someone makes a product to cater to peope other than yourself

Stonethecrow77 t1_j2xeifk wrote

Different people have different wants. But, apparently I can't share my opinion on it, right?

It is ok for you to disagree with my statement, but I get told to not speak? Only goes one way right?

−1

Moscato359 t1_j2xp0eh wrote

I never told you to not speak

Just not to get mad about products existing outside of your desires

Stonethecrow77 t1_j2xpv0x wrote

No one is mad. And you can't tell how to feel or what to post.

You try to feed everyone their opinions to them?

I am very sure I could look at your comment history and find something where you commented an opinion on something you didn't like. We all do it.

Wacky_Water_Weasel t1_j2xdaz2 wrote

What if you want something mobile in your house? I move my gaming laptop between my office where I'll play alone and upstairs to the living room to play something while watching TV with my wife. A desktop is impractical for me. I personally love the big laptop trend.

MayorOfSmurftown t1_j2w7lqj wrote

Wish they'd go even bigger. After gaming on a 27" monitor, downsizing to a 17" or 18" laptop feels bad.

Dell used to have a 20" gaming laptop back in the day and it was great.

−26

Avieshek OP t1_j2w9wk6 wrote

A 27" laptop wouldn't be a laptop but a tabletop my friend.

MayorOfSmurftown t1_j2waequ wrote

Everyone who uses a gaming laptop uses it on a tabletop anyway. Nobody actually games with it in their lap.

27" might be excessive, but they could easily make a 20" gaming laptop and it wouldn't be too bulky. Dell had one a few years ago and it was fairly portable; it basically folded into a briefcase that was very easy to carry.

−15

Technoticatoo t1_j2wamv3 wrote

But at that point you might as well just connect a 30" monitor to your laptop and go with a smaller laptop.

MayorOfSmurftown t1_j2wavoy wrote

But then when you game on the go, you're stuck on your laptop's tiny screen. The whole point of a laptop with a big screen is to have access to that display wherever you go.

−10

Veranova t1_j2wbqwu wrote

r/sffpc awaits. Lots of people build powerhouses and strap on a big screen, then put it in a flight case for travel. At a certain point a laptop of 27” is not more convenient than the flight case solution, you could even just buy an all-in-one pc and a case for it.

Technoticatoo t1_j2wl6fa wrote

I guess tastes differ, I have been gaming on the go a lot, and from my experience usually there isn't any use for a big laptop "on the go", it's a pain to lug around, you mostly don't have a lot of space for it in hotels etc. and usually you aren't on the move to game but for other reasons (vacation, business, school trip etc.) and then you don't really mainly game but do other things most of the time, so you could do it as well on a smaller laptop.

And if you really just want to play games at a friends place or something you might as well bring a monitor then, if you are already considering a 20"+ laptop.

I guess maybe if you are in the military or similar and spend a lot of time abroad or something a big laptop would be nice. (But again, if its a long term but temporary position, why not bring a big monitor)

MayorOfSmurftown t1_j2xvvyk wrote

>And if you really just want to play games at a friends place or something you might as well bring a monitor then, if you are already considering a 20"+ laptop.

It's a pain to go back and forth from a friend's place and lug around a tower, monitor, and keyboard every single time. It's so much easier to be able to carry around a laptop. My friends and I used to throw LAN parties all the time and it was so much easier to just bring a laptop compared to lugging around a desktop setup.

Seriously, I'm a bit shocked there isn't more demand for mobile setups. Gaming is supposed to be a social experience, it's so much more fun to game in-person with friends. Having a high quality gaming laptop makes that experience so much easier.

Technoticatoo t1_j2xyi0u wrote

I guess, as I said tastes differ, everything has its place somewhere.

vanalla t1_j2wl3py wrote

Speaking as someone who once unsuccessfully tried to fit a 24" monitor in a carry on suitcase:

What on earth kind of bag are you carrying around with you that fits a 27"monitor?

FreeSkeptic t1_j2wjeko wrote

I game on my lap with a 14” laptop, but I don’t play games requiring a mouse.

g-nice4liief t1_j2wl0kz wrote

pathetic. You can get a 21 inch screen from ACER if you want something for serious gaming https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/22/15672294/acer-predator-21-x-review-gaming-laptop-9000-gtx-1080

/s

MayorOfSmurftown t1_j2xvddj wrote

You say /s. But actually, that was an awesome machine. If it weren't so expensive, there would have been a lot of demand for it.

g-nice4liief t1_j2xyzft wrote

That's true. Although it's pretty bulky, the specs where pretty awesome for a "portable" laptop.

nickkom t1_j2xed8n wrote

Love that laptop! And I could always just carry my tower around if my back starts hurting.

Stonethecrow77 t1_j2xg1hk wrote

Down voting over this opinion is stupid.

I don't agree with it at all, but there is nothing wrong with having a difference of opinion.

They are not detracting from the conversation, in fact they are adding to it.

Some of you people simply can't handle yourselves when the world isn't your echo chamber.

MayorOfSmurftown t1_j2xvgdn wrote

Who knew people hated big laptops this much?

Stonethecrow77 t1_j2xx7rl wrote

Almost every comment is getting downvoted. Internet points don't really mean anything but just silly that people can't civilly disagree on something.