Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

einherjar81 t1_ja7do6y wrote

1. Photo-realism is often more hardware-intensive than more stylized approaches.
  2. Stylized graphics give your game more brand-recognition.

Pellahh t1_ja7g674 wrote

I'd also add

3.Photo-realism tend to look bad after some years but good stylized grapghics can stand the test of time.

grunge-gamer t1_ja7dqmv wrote

True. I guess most gamers are looking to escape realism.

ButterscotchLow8950 t1_ja7udno wrote

Not to mention, it doesn’t take as much to make the environment look great, it’s when you try and make the people, their hair and their facial expressions that it all starts to look creepy rather than good.

I bet if there were no faces or facial expressions, you would have better looking games.

Watsis_name t1_ja7eyuw wrote

Photo-realism is expensive and ages poorly.

BlueMikeStu t1_ja7gph2 wrote

This. Compare two very drastically different games from the PS2 era: Dragon Quest VIII and Black.

The former still holds up well and looks fantastic for the most part, especially when you dial up the resolution on an emulator. Black... Does not, but was praised at the time for it's graphics.

The same thing is going to happen for games pushing "realism" today, twenty years from now. Between then and now a bunch of new rendering and modelling techniques will be discovered and new technologies will emerge which make the games of today look wooden and plastic. Maybe not in terms of raw polycount, but in numerous little details like fully rendered hair and clothing which moves and shifts realistically, soft textures having appropriate give (i.e. stand on a couch or in a puddle of mud, foot sinks in), rendering liquids as real volumes on the fly (i.e. dynamic rain which forms dynamic puddles and drains according to gravity), etc, etc.

PhantomTroupe-2 t1_ja7st2u wrote

Black still looks ight tbh

BlueMikeStu t1_ja7x3qo wrote

The aging of it is very obvious though. It does not look good against a PS3 game shooting for realism.

Meanwhile DQVIIII still looks good compared to some PS3 games.

Ferry83 t1_ja7dq9w wrote

We have come to a point where the options we have are limited by the hardware we're having. If only 3% can run a certain game in highest graphical settings why would you spend an insane amount of resources to get to that point. It's not feasible yet.

​

However we're on a point in time where big changes will come soon.. If you're seeing what apple does with the M2 chips and their Pro versions there is a LOT of neural technology that can be used in the future to account for calculations towards AI behavior or weather impact etc.

Right now.. we're not at that point.

bumfancy t1_ja7esxy wrote

It's great that apple has cool stuff going on but gaming doesn't happen on an Apple.

Ferry83 t1_ja7j0sv wrote

I'm just giving apple as an example. Obviously other chipsets will run with the same core technology in the future.

Especially when software technology will take advantage of the capabilities of said engine availabilities.

Spankyzerker t1_ja7e8fb wrote

Because people dont realize most games are made on just a handful of engines, and they are not kind to photorealism.

LMotherHubbard t1_ja7e9a1 wrote

The same reason that modern art museums and art exhibitions are not only filled with photographs; people tend to like the imperfections and fantastical touches that the human hand can apply. There is certainly a place for photorealism, but it's definitely not appropriate for all circumstances.

Valoneria t1_ja7epj8 wrote

1. It's hardware intensive
    1. Hardware optimization is a time consuming task, the job of most AAA publishers these days seems to prioritize about shovelling as many games out the door, with optimization being second place
    2. The amount of players being cut-off due to the high requirements would be too high for the game to be profitable
  2. The Return of Investment on such a task is likely not going to be good. There's a lot of great looking games on the market, but they usually lack something else, bringing in a good looking but subpar experience
  3. Photorealism is generally not a requirement of gamers, just see the success of Minecraft and Roblox

wyrdafell t1_ja7gbfd wrote

I agree with the more technical problems people are commenting here but I honestly think FW is rather detailed, just looking at the actual textures of cloth / metal. There was already immense improvement in graphics from HFW, notably in Aloy’s model. Hair physics are admittedly a bit wacky sometimes, and there’s a few clipping issues. Never played GOW so I can’t vouch much for that… however, I have played RE7. Great game, though I also think it’s not as detailed as HFW. It is older, after all.

laserox t1_ja7dqlj wrote

It may have something to do with uncanny valley theory

"The uncanny valley metaphor suggests that a human appearance or behavior can make an artificial figure seem more familiar for viewers — but only up to a point. The sense of viewer familiarity drops sharply into the uncanny valley once the artificial figure tries but fails to mimic a realistic human."

So if they make it look too good but it's not 100%perfect it will look more awkward and make people uncomfortable

BigRin79 t1_ja7dwl9 wrote

I think photo realism in games is beyond today's computers. The images themselves are hard enough to make then you need to add everything else. Besides, grafics aren't the be all and end all in what makes a game good

HandledException t1_ja7fayr wrote

Probably because devs choose to focus more on a stylized art style.

​

All I want the gaming industry to overcome this decade though, is the sand and snow phisics. We need better trails and marks after characters have passed through those.

wyrdafell t1_ja7fqkj wrote

I thought the sand/snow physics in FW were good..?

HandledException t1_ja7g1mn wrote

Is that Forbidden West?

They are some of the better looking ones, but there is just something about the similarity of every step that you take that breaks the effect for me. Many games have this same "problem", not too big of a deal anyway, but we have to progress somehow. :D

wyrdafell t1_ja7h3bn wrote

Not sure what you mean by similarly 🤔 unless you mean the character’s gait. I honestly don’t pay too much attention when I’m running around a slitherfang 😂 though I do appreciate the detail

HandledException t1_ja7hk85 wrote

Nah hahah I mean the footstep that the character leaves on the snow or sand, but especially snow. It just does not look natural most of the time. Maybe it's me and I'm just broken that specific way. 😂

wyrdafell t1_ja8w20t wrote

I wish I could tell 😂 I don’t have sand OR snow where I live.

HandledException t1_jac0nb6 wrote

Sadly we are starting to have less and less snow here as well, so in a few years will be were you are at. But that has nothing to do wiht videogames. 😂

djr7 t1_ja7fqgs wrote

"I feel like if this was more of a focus we would be at a place right now with graphics that could really look real."
we have already attained that sense of realism, you see it in film, but the tech required for it is incredibly demanding

itsmyfirsttimegoeasy t1_ja7gf5y wrote

A good art style ages well, photorealism looks dated in a few years.

HoosierDev t1_ja7iiky wrote

I can get a dev perspective on the topic even though I’m not a game dev. Each game is going to have someone in charge who is balancing stake holder feedback, developer concerns, and vision. Something like photo realism is going to be really hard to get through. It’s expensive and time consuming which will make a lot of stake holders say no. It’s difficult if not impossible for developers to do it with other requirements (like how well it runs on certain PCs, consoles supported, or delivery schedules), and then that has to be the idea from the start (or vision). It’s really the most stringent decision for all three. More than likely the project doesn’t go perfect so it’s the first thing to go.

TheKevit07 t1_ja89q9p wrote

I thought I would like photo-realistic graphics years ago, but what games have them, I hated.

There was an indie game on Steam that had realistic graphics about a year ago, and I stopped playing within an hour because the herbs I needed were so subtle that I could never find them. So it looked GREAT, but it made looking for what you wanted much more difficult and frustrating.

Maybe for games like shooters where all you do is shoot stuff, it's okay, but I wouldn't want it for survival games or anything where I interact with the environment.

Jolt_91 t1_ja8bvec wrote

Because games stand out more having a unique style rather than looking all the same due to realism.