Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

lexilogo t1_jck3umi wrote

No. The plot of RE is essentially episodic and simple enough that you really don't need to understand past game's continuity to keep up, and the plot itself is cheesy B-movie mania that almost never tries to deliver super serious plot points. All you need to know is Umbrella are an evil corporation that make and sell bioweapons.

It's an especially silly reason not to play 7/8, as those two entries are even more standalone. You can count the direct links to past games in 7 on one hand

RandomBananaHamac t1_jcn4nxr wrote

"Name's Redfield"

Last minute reveal that Umbrella is behind things

Can't think of anything else that ties REVII to the rest of the franchise. xD

2steppa156 t1_jck1sjr wrote

I’d play the 1 and 2 remasters then 4. Or just watch a catch up video on YouTube. 4 was a total shift in tone and gameplay for the franchise. It’s a masterpiece imo

BirdjaminFranklin t1_jcl5x3k wrote

RE1, RE2, RE3, RE0 and Code Veronica all play entirely differently than anything that came after. Having grown up with the games, I prefer the top down view and slower pace of the earlier games.

RE4, RE5, and RE6 are over the shoulder and much more action oriented.

RE7 and RE8 are first person and also fairly action oriented.

All of the games are loosely connected with some characters reappearing across several games.

That said, the story is B-movie horror and has become a total clusterfuck of a mess that's almost impossible to follow anyway.

Manjorno316 t1_jckdexy wrote

>4 was a total shift in tone and gameplay for the franchise. It’s a masterpiece imo

It's worth mentioning that at least the original RE4 is pretty hitt or miss. It's by no means a bad game at all but it's my least favorite RE game because it's too action heavy without a single scary part throughout the entire game. But it seems like the remake will actually add the horror part to action horror this time.

LucasTheYeti t1_jck2yhj wrote

Story wise 0-3 are connected. 4 is a soft reboot (the intro recaps the events of 0-3 very briefly, but do not directly influence the story). 5-6 are more stand alone, but build off elements introduced in 4. 7 is another soft reboot for the series (minimal references to older games), and Village is a direct continuation of 7.

[deleted] t1_jclr1jm wrote

[deleted]

LucasTheYeti t1_jclrtw5 wrote

No, I don't think it's too spoilery. The brief recap is big overview things. It doesn't go into specific happenings of the game. The best parts of RE are the moment things and not so much the overarching story.

pegleggregx t1_jck1mgx wrote

The first 2 are excellent games. Leon is in the second game so it would be worth playing. 4 was a shift in the series toward action...

[deleted] t1_jck3een wrote

[deleted]

RockLeeSmile t1_jck3yuy wrote

Hi I'm here to introduce you to my friend "subjectivity". His whole thing is that he likes things that you might not and vice versa.

tomatozombie2 t1_jck261i wrote

Play the remakes of 1, 2 and 3.

Other entries did not age well, just watch Sphere Hunters videos on Zeron and the Chronicle games.

MajinBuuMan t1_jck2u1v wrote

No. The story is pretty cheesy and bad and each game is mostly standalone and doesn't require knowledge of the others to enjoy.

It's worth playing through all of them because they're good games though.

[deleted] t1_jck3gt7 wrote

The first three all take place like the same day.

MajinBuuMan t1_jck9via wrote

But you don't have to play them all and each one can be played by itself.

1 introduces it all.

2 is an entirely separate scenario and you really don't need to understand what happened in 1. It adds to Claire's backstory, but the ingame documents tell you what you need to know. If you want the details then go play 1.

And same with 3. It's all about Nemesis. The mansion doesn't really matter unless you want to know the details of Jill before that game.

It shares an overarching mythos, but you can play the games in any order because they focus on their individual storyline above all else and will fill you in on details you need to know in the documents.

BlueMikeStu t1_jck8ib0 wrote

At this point, it is but it isn't.

They're basically like a James Bond movie or The Fast and the Furious series. Past events have an impact on current events and there's a rotating cast of core characters who make up the main gang of the protagonists, but the games also do a good job of being self-contained, standalone adventures which explain the who, what, and when all of the characters in a given game matter to new players so they don't miss out.

The only real exception to this is Resident Evil 6, which was designed as a huge, Avengers-like mega game which brought back the entire cast for a huge spectacle of continuity, ruined by the fact that it's one of the worst in the series, and easily the worst game which is an official, numbered sequel instead of being a spin-off.

If you've got time, they're still worth playing. I'd even recommend giving the original originals and not the remakes a try if you think you won't be bothered by the graphics, because there are some things that the originals do better than the remakes.

SpiderPidge t1_jck8t81 wrote

I have NO idea why the series is getting the hate it's getting in the comment. NO IDEA. The overall story is great and it is absolutely worth going back and playing 0, 1 Remake, and up to 4 (in my opinion you should play 0, 1 Remake, 2 Remake or 2, original 3, Code Veronica, and 4). If you want to skip 5 and 6 it's okay because 7 and 8 don't really call back to 5 and 6. Chris is in 7 and 8 but the only passing reference to the other two games is him punching the boulder in 5.

But to your question, it's not extremely important to play the other games to enjoy 4. It has a standalone story, for the most part. If anything you would just need to play 2 or 2remake.

7 and 8 are, again, a complete story (waiting for 9 to finish the Winters' story) and you don't really need the other games.

But you are missing out if you don't play the other games. The full story is excellent if you take the time and effort to do it. But it's not necessary.

erwin040 OP t1_jck9vy1 wrote

I think, then I will try the remakes first, especially Re4, cause I heard a lot good things about it.

SpiderPidge t1_jckaa15 wrote

There really isn't a problem with playing only the remakes. The story is just going to be a little different. The only remake that is worse than the original was 3. But 3 is regarded as the worst classic RE game in general and you don't need to play either of them, in my opinion.

ImpossibleGT t1_jckbbp1 wrote

...because every story is "oh no, Umbrella released another virus". That's it.

RE1? Umbrella released a virus.
RE2? Umbrella released a virus.
RE3? Umbrella released a virus.
Code Veronica? Would you believe it, Umbrella released a virus... in Antarctica!

This is not exactly peak narrative.

SpiderPidge t1_jckd1dp wrote

That's way oversimplified and not at all indicative of the story of the games. The overall story is about strain after strain of a virus becoming loose and causing havoc, yeah, but there is a lot more to it.

The story spans quite a few games and if you take the stories for what they are in their respective games, I can see where you are coming from. But you also have to be able to piece it together into one narrative and it's much deeper and enjoyable once you do that.

ImpossibleGT t1_jckel3l wrote

>but there is a lot more to it.

There really isn't. The bad guy is always an unambiguously evil corporation, the good guy is always an average Joe caught in an unexpected situation trying to survive, and that's it. Yeah, there's some lore about exactly how shitty Umbrella is if you read every note in every game, but Mass Effect this is not. You can start literally anywhere in the RE canon and you'll know what's going on. It's a simple story and it's not told in a particularly strong way.

SpiderPidge t1_jckf5ai wrote

>It's a simple story and it's not told in a particularly strong way.

If you say so. It's not on the level as Metal Gear or Nier, but it's not as shallow as you are making it out to be either.

Manjorno316 t1_jckds3g wrote

This is like saying that the Lord of the Rings films is just about throwing a ring in lava and nothing more.

LotR1: Just some small guy trying to throw a ring in lava

LotR2: Still trying to throw it in lava

LotR3: He threw it in lava

ImpossibleGT t1_jckfqwc wrote

Which is why LOTR has a shit ton of characterization. "Where's everyone going, bingo?" and "You almost became a Jill sandwich" don't count as quality characterization.

−1

Manjorno316 t1_jckgojw wrote

No but cheesy dialogue doesn't equate to a simple story or plot either.

doitcloot t1_jcnzut0 wrote

probably the series i've played the most completely out of order, pretty much random. you'll be fine wherever you start but if theres a character that stands out to you like Jill or Leon maybe play their specific games chronologically.

allvarr t1_jck66k2 wrote

If you're looking at playing RE4:Remake, only RE2:Remake is relevant as it is essentially Leon's "backstory" in regards to RE4:R.

You don't "need" to play it to understand what's going on, but it might help you enjoy the story more.

RE8:Village is a direct sequel to RE7 however, those two you might want to play in their chronological order.

The rest of the RE games are wildly scattered in terms of story.