Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MajinBuuMan t1_jdsg412 wrote

Keep one sealed and give it 15 years or so. That'll be one of the ones that go for more than they sold. Like the GC version of Prime.

TakeADownvoteFukker t1_jdsgy8k wrote

That’s probably the smart thing to do. Take this downvote though you piece of shit.

igot99prolems t1_jdtiaxy wrote

You need to start a cult. Create a subreddit so I can join.

ScoobyMaroon t1_jdsjxbl wrote

Wait 15 years to maybe make $100 or give it to a friend today and get enjoyment out of giving a nice gift and having a buddy to chat about it with.

Easy choice imo

MajinBuuMan t1_jdskay7 wrote

Sealed copies of Prime for GC can get like $800.

CactuarKing t1_jdsshwk wrote

Keep in mind that GC was the last generation before digital releases though...,of course it's valuable when it's the only way to play/own the game for that console

FunkyPigeonFlock t1_jdsw29u wrote

Nobody's buying the sealed ones to play tho. This has a higher chance then most to be another collector item

Skware1 t1_jdt7zex wrote

The difference is no one foresaw them ever being worth that much back when those games came out. Nowadays people are stockpiling sealed sealed games thinking they will be guaranteed profit. That combined with the fact that the next generation of gamers raised on fortnite will have little to no interest in physical media will ensure games from this era never reach the same value. I wouldn't be surprised if 10 years from now we see ebay listings like "100 copies of prime remasted for $2000".

CactuarKing t1_jdt31rf wrote

True, but I think it's value as a collectors item decreases based on its general feeling as a rarity. The GameCube was an underselling console, and the physical copy of Metroid Prime was the only way to play the game. With this in mind, and as copies get lost, damaged, etc, it's value as a collectors item goes up, even if technically it's sealed and not for playing. Its value also competes with players that do buy the copy and unseal it to play, which most players up until now did since that was the only way you'd experience the game (I don't think emulation has much of an effect.)

Plus, Metroid Prime for GameCube is already a valuable collectors item, so I don't see the remastered version with a digital release matching it's value.

Rarity is just one aspect of its value as a collectible. People have to WANT it, too.

Kodiakweb t1_jduhccl wrote

Emulation absolutely has an effect, it lowers the amount of people buying the game to play it. Why spend hard earned money on ancient, dying hardware when you can just emulate it for much cheaper and get a (subjectively) better experience? Even for those who dont know or care about those options, virtual console is emulation, and so is xbox 360 and xbox 2001 gameplay on ones and series xboxes. Even if these people's purchase habits don't affect demand, there are more old pieces of hardware in circulation simply because emulation means people can sell old hardware without losing the ability to play the old games they want to play occasionally.

mctoasterson t1_jdv18tn wrote

Better get Wata games to validate the authenticity and grade your copy for its super duper rarity.

HolyVeggie t1_jduv5ho wrote

While this is true the argument still stands. People want to play the game -> price rises -> sealed price rises

BloodyMess t1_jdsy6ju wrote

Honestly, it doesn't make any difference. Look at the 3DS and Wii U eShops closing recently, with so many games no longer available in any legitimate format. You absolutely cannot rely on Nintendo's digital store to allow you to play anything 10 years from now.

The only store that you can reliably trust is GOG since everything there is DRM-free and can be downloaded locally.

CactuarKing t1_jdt1wx9 wrote

I'm purely talking from the perspective of value as a collectors item. Sure, the physical copies will be less common, but it's overall rarity as an item will be lower due to the fact that so many more people own the game digitally. Physical copies got lost, damaged, thrown away, sold, but those were the only way to play the game (emulation clearly has no effect on collectors value.) Can't do that with digital, even if the shops themselves go down.

BloodyMess t1_jdt3ft7 wrote

Ah, I see your point - you're saying that having more digital copies will reduce scarcity.

But I'd argue the "collector's item" value of a physical object is actually the primary driver of inflated prices. I mean, we can all emulate the games instantly if we want - scarcity is a non-issue even with those GC games.

Lexx2k t1_jdur5kr wrote

$800 for 15 years waiting is still not that great. :>

xTrollhunter t1_jdzpmx9 wrote

Games are to be played, not collected.

MajinBuuMan t1_jdzq7a7 wrote

That's why I have a digital version. My physical copy is sealed.

Doing the same for Zelda TotK. Have my digital copy pre-ordered using Nintendo Vouchers and got my order in for physical collection copy as well. I have a sealed copy of every Zelda game ever made except 1 and 2 which I just have the NES carts for.

Alili1996 t1_jduuloe wrote

This.
I have a despise for people who keep games as collector items instead of playing them.
I remember getting used games on E-bay for like 10-20 bucks tops, but now everything has skyrocketed because some hipsters who want to have games sitting in their shelves

aceCaptainSlow t1_jdttd64 wrote

Nothing inflates in price like a Nintendo exclusive or a console Shoot 'Em Up port.