Submitted by Nordstaff t3_yihr0b in gaming

Me and my wife started to play Co-Op games such as: Stardew Valley., Gunfire Reborn, Minecraft Dungeons and others together.

The issue is i'm a ''rusher'' so i like to finish the game and explore things as fast as i can. She is still learning, so she is slow af. Using Gunfire Reborn as example, she is still learning and sometimes when i could finish a game in 40 minutes, we take like 2 hours.

​

I'd like some advices here of how can i ''wait'' for her without making the games boring while i wait for her. I tired to keep talking with her and distract myself while she comes but this is not working anymore and sometimes i just rush the whole map and she starts to be ''sad'' cuz i finished without her

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Gatherel t1_iuirmip wrote

I’m playing Minecraft dungeons with my 3 year old, I let him lead and take care of him while he plays, he dies a lot and I just res him when needed to let him keep playing. Sometimes when you play with someone who isn’t at your level it isn’t about you having fun, but enjoying some time together doing a shared activity. If you can’t do that maybe you need to reassess video games as a shared activity with her.

AlignedMonkey t1_iuircqd wrote

Just gotta train yourself to slow down and find joy in the experience of gaming with her instead of just beating the game.

Maybe a game where progression is locked behind both of you coming to the conclusion at the same time would help like Portal 2 co-op or It Takes Two would help.

strangr_legnd_martyr t1_iuisnwq wrote

You play support and let her lead.

We did that with Borderlands - my wife had never played any video game before, let alone an FPS. We turned aim sensitivity down for her and I spent most of the early part of the game keeping her alive.

She was so excited the first few times she leveled up before I did (you get a small amount of XP from reviving a downed player, so I would always level up first from reviving her so often).

By the end of the main campaign, she was playing with normal sensitivity settings. Your girlfriend isn't going to get better if you constantly rush to the end, reducing her chances to develop her skills.

Z3r0sk1llz t1_iuiuyx9 wrote

Be honest. You're talking about sex here.

NaturalNines t1_iuiw3ef wrote

Back her up. Cover her exposed angles and keep an eye on her back while she checks stuff out.

I game with my nieces and nephews and basically just go on bodyguard mode. I've been gaming for decades and they're just kids, so there's absolutely no chance we can work on the same game mode. So I have to make my entertainment in the easier modes by focusing on headshots, or clean kills, or dramatic, whatever, while protecting my niece or nephew and helping them through the game. If you get to a certain compatibility you can up the difficulty and let her rely on you more while growing herself.

But obviously she's not going to get engaged in the game if she's just following and watching you kill everything. So ask yourself how much you want to game with her, then apply that desire.

Nordstaff OP t1_iuj5435 wrote

I will try it out.

NaturalNines t1_iuj62dm wrote

Also don't forget to be proud of *her* achievements. Celebrate victories you wouldn't for yourself because she's new and therefor they're obviously new to her, so share in that.

Caid-Nona t1_iuiwbli wrote

Give yourself a handicap. Raise sensitivity to max. Invert controls. Etc. or.. let her lead.

ninpho2246 t1_iuiyhpe wrote

Go for more trick shots and trick plays and practice your weak points. Your point is patience

TheVolcanado t1_iujm4sp wrote

Or combine the two and practice trick shots. The only thing more awesome than making a keyhole shot is being able to make a keyhole shot by rote. In Destiny 2 I could have gave Cade-6 a run for his money.