Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

No-Context5479 t1_jds02gi wrote

Uhm you'd have to stack it the other way around... The amp is the one with the temperature transfer onto the SU-9n DAC... So reroute it and put the SH9 on the top of the SU-9n and add a bit of air gapping between and place in an area it has easy access to flow of air and you'd be good, u/TraubeMinzeTABAK

d4ngd4ng t1_jdryci6 wrote

I haven’t used a SMSL setup before, but in stack setups the amp tends to run hotter so it’s usually recommended to have them on top. Maybe this is contributing to the heat? Though I’m not sure either component should run too hot at idle..

obzilla t1_jdt2qua wrote

Put the amp on top

ieure t1_jds49ed wrote

My SMSL VMV D1 runs pretty warm even when idle, too.

IAmAgainst t1_jdsfpuy wrote

It could be normal for an amp if it's class A, although likely not. For a dac, definitely absolutely not normal.

halfercode t1_jdsittb wrote

It's popular for DAC/amps to be stacked on top of each other, but I'd suggest getting some little shelves. For my headphone system I am using instrument cases (usually used for scientific equipment) to give each item of equipment room to breathe.

csch1992 t1_jdsur7f wrote

does it make the soundsignature cooler? why does these things even get hot? my k5 pro ess only gets like hand warm or close to it

blorg t1_jduimnk wrote

I depends on the device, I have a K5 Pro as well (AKM version) and it doesn't get remotely hot at all but also have a Topping A90 that does get quite hot. And a xDuoo TA-26 (tube amp) that gets even hotter. Even for that matter a Moondrop MoonRiver 2 dongle gets quite hot.

csch1992 t1_je05u0y wrote

Still why do they get hot? Some even adds passive cooling blocks to their dac/amps. I am so glad that my k5 pro ess just works 🤣

blorg t1_je0e2v6 wrote

Amplifiers vary in efficiency. This depends on their design. The less efficient, the excess power needs to be vented as heat. It depends too on stuff like the case design, the K5 Pro I think has a quite big (and particularly tall) case most of which is empty. I know with some other stuff, like Topping has one small amp, the A30 Pro, which does a very large amount of power but in a very small case, and it reportedly gets very hot, hotter than something like the A90 which has similar power but in a larger case. The A30 needs ventilation holes all over which the A90 doesn't. The dongle I have that gets hot, the MoonRiver 2, is also particularly thin for the power level.

csch1992 t1_je0h3j8 wrote

i allready own a pair of 660s 2 sennheiser. and i allready find them to have enough bass.