Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

cirrusblau t1_iuhe35k wrote

It really puzzles me whenever someone in this sub says that their headphones sound really great plugged directly in their phones, laptops, or motherboards (the exception would be if the motherboard has a built amp). I mean even a 32 ohm DT770 would sound miles better when you amp it.

AnOldMoth t1_iuhighr wrote

Because plenty don't change at all, there's nothing confusing about it.

Plenty of devices have a very low output impedance. Assuming it has enough power to drive what you want, they wouldn't sound much different if it's even remotely modern.

Amps have a purpose, but it isn't really what most people seem to think they are for.

thms0 t1_iuhss53 wrote

I thought /u/cirrusblau was being sarcastic. :x

DT770 do not need an amp, do they ? I've never tried them.
But my HD58x do not need one for sure... only if louder == better...

AnusDingus t1_iuil87y wrote

Me with my 100 ohm output impedance amp: 🗿

​

​

Amp in question is Beyerdynamic A20

Clickbaitllama t1_iuhqdvc wrote

You do know that any sound output has a buikd in amp right?

GLikesSteak OP t1_iuhuh48 wrote

Doesn't mean it's good enough/powerful enough to drive power hungry headphones such as some planars. Most budget external DAC amps nowadays are still better that those that are built into the laptop/phone/desktop.

Clickbaitllama t1_iuhx0gj wrote

I’m just going to say this. If your headphone gets loud enough on a source, with some headroom, then any amp upgrade will not make the headphone sound better (or better enough that the upgrade would make you like it more).

Saying that a headphone that sounds mediocre can be fixed by an amp when the problem isn’t the volume makes no sense when all modern amps are made to be linear.

Jackstraw335 t1_iuie5cd wrote

Impedence ≠ SPL

Loud enough ≠ enough power

Clickbaitllama t1_iuiigsk wrote

nothing i said had anything to do with the fact that impedance and sensitivity are importantly distinct

and while we can argue about if a headphone loud enough with decent “to loud” headroom is still underpowered, you can’t in good faith say that if you dislike an headphone, a linear amp with more power would change the sound enough to sway that opinion