Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

sandarai OP t1_ixlbwt6 wrote

moondrop introduced this idea through the quarks dsp they recently released. it's going to be interesting to see how the tuning will change, because it will be representative of what moondrop considers an 'ideal tuning' - will it cling to their target curve (VSDF) or will they directly address people's gripes by refining treble and adding a bass shelf?

it's very unfortunate that the same cable is being used, so i'm starting to expect that the price will be the same. quarks dsp is the same price as og quarks.

Certified_Possum t1_ixls8ky wrote

It's odd that moondrop of all companies are integrating DSP since they've been top notch with tuning.

Just give us the damn detachable cables

Yoon-Ah t1_ixlim5f wrote

I was just about to grab the quarks for the USB-C connection, which would be convenient but now I'm wondering if I should wait for this JIU...

hurtyewh t1_ixlj4d7 wrote

This could really be the future. EQ allows for much easier design and avoiding compromises. This said, then they need to start offering different targets for people to choose from.

sandarai OP t1_ixlomov wrote

i'm all for integrated dsp but it means i can't use my fancy dacs 😭 i live for the hardware volume control on my shanling ua3, it's much more granular

ThelceWarrior t1_ixlwl9n wrote

Fair but eh if on Windows the volume controls are fairly granular.

sandarai OP t1_ixm1nre wrote

i mostly use iems on my phone, where the volume steps are too large. i used to solve the problem by using an even channel balance, but it was so inconvenient

Raptorv2 t1_ixm6ir7 wrote

On Android you can get an app called sound assistant which allows you to change the volume steps

ReekyRumpFedRatsbane t1_ixo3mxu wrote

EQ doesn't avoid compromised, it makes different ones. If these are better or worse depends on the specifics.

For example, distortion. Typically in audiophile headphones, it is below audible levels and thus pretty irrelevant, but if you boost a frequency range with relatively high (although still inaudible) distortion, it can become audible.

And of course, EQ above ~5kHz is always limited by the individuality of our ears and thus can't be very granular if it should work for everyone. So, say, if there is a resonant spike somewhere between 6 and 8 kHz, if you want to address that with EQ, you have to lower that entire region because where exactly the spike is depends on your specific ears. But if you can engineer the headphones so they resonate less to begin with, then this will work regardless of the exact resonant frequency.

With that said, DSP can be a valuable tool in tuning, just like all the other tools available to engineers. So, I wouldn't necessarily say it makes design easier, but in combination with conventional tuning it can be able to overall reduce the compromises that need to be made.

This of course ignores the inherent compromise of needing to have a DAC and amp on-board, which simply won't be able to compete with bigger external stuff (but perhaps with the USB dongles many people use for their IEMs). This, in my opinion, makes DSP most useful for mobile or budget offerings, where it's quite likely the user won't have a sophisticated setup when they use it.

The Jiu, then, which builds on a strong basis of conventional tuning but with room for improvement, and is of course a budget IEM, should be a perfect fit, but for example a Blessing 2 DSP might make less sense.

That's of course just my opinion, based on my understanding of DSP and its effects. Feel free to form your own opinions and please do correct me if I'm wrong.

jaeger01 t1_ixls6zi wrote

Actually looking forward to this era of earphones.

i wonder if they will implement bass boost at lower volumes similar to airpods'

Toronto-Will t1_ixmwk3c wrote

I dunno, sometimes less is more, when it comes to how many different functions are integrated into the same piece of hardware. I like "all in one" type devices as an *option*, particularly in circumstances where I value being efficient and compact, but I generally really value the ability to pick and chose and swap out my own parts. It also tends to give electronics a longer useful lifespan.

Like take the example of an iMac versus a traditional Windows PC. Both have their appeal, but I would hate for all computers to be built like iMacs. I think it's similar with audio enthusiasts wanting separate dacs and amps, separate power amps when they need them for speakers, sometimes separate DSP units, detachable cables, etc... A headphone with an undetachable USB-C cable and built in dac/amp/EQ is good for only thing, plugged into 1 kind of socket that is supported by relatively few devices (computers and some mobile devices yes, but what about things like vinyl record players, an aux output on a powered speaker or receiver, etc...). Vs. a good old 3.5mm jack that I can plug into basically anything with widely available dongles and adapters.

This is a cheap headphone, I know, so it's whatever--I'm just saying if this is going to become a broader trend, I'm not super enthused about it.

LucasRunner t1_ixly1n6 wrote

This is interesting.

Could high end multidriver/hybrids benefit from a built in dsp?

Because you could connect each driver to its own exact output, just like a powered monitor for example, but I have no idea how this works

juliangst t1_ixm218e wrote

Qudelix has done this. Without any success

LylethLunastre t1_ixnwpwv wrote

Still non detachable.. get out of here

Altruistic_Ad5493 t1_ixmzqbb wrote

I wish these DSP cables would terminate in aux so I could actually connect them to a good DAC. I would put money on the DAC in this cable being pretty bad.

celsivaii t1_ixnmb8x wrote

It won't be DSP if the connection is analog with an aux terminal. Because it's "DIGITAL signal process".

ovab_cool t1_ixn9y7x wrote

Interesting, definitely handy for my phone because I have an adapter connected 24/7 now

AudioReviews t1_ixo1ekn wrote

That's a nope for me, basically a repainted Chu... Same shitty cable...

Gueblos t1_ixpmtck wrote

I hate this over ear design, why do they even make it over ear if they don't have preformed earhooks

These-Movie6770 t1_iy532rs wrote

How the cable could be changeable? Don't you loose DSP if you disconnet it from IEM? Then the DSP also should have a connector, like 3.5 mm outlet. DSP is only for Quarks, so why changeable? Do you have some strange interest to swap different DSP's to different IEM? Fixed cable in this price point and with this idea (DSP) is ok.

jecaloy t1_ixoch65 wrote

Don't all IEMs (terminated with usb-c) optimize sound quality through DSP nowadays?

juliangst t1_ixm25vp wrote

No lightning version again… that’s a pass for me

−8

soboi12345 t1_ixm5zpn wrote

Fuck apple

CircuitPanda t1_ixmkblg wrote

Fuck people for having different preferences than you

−7

Audio8244 t1_ixn6iaa wrote

Apple is annoying for not using usb c yet but its whatever we will just have to get an adapter

Kuningas_Arthur t1_ixn4475 wrote

China is like 88% Android, Apple's share of the mpbile business there is quite small, so it's perfectly understandable they'd go the USB-C route. Add to that the fact that Apple will soon either have to also switch to USB-C or completely abandon a wired charger completely in Europe, and it's really not even a choice anymore.

commandermik t1_ixmqxd6 wrote

Yes this is a questionable choice. Sure MFI might add a bit more to the cost, but literally half the people of the smartphone world use iPhones.

−15

Kuningas_Arthur t1_ixn4iy2 wrote

Half in the USA. Globally Apple's market share is closer to 25%, and in China it's barely over 10%, so it makes perfect sense for chi-fi businesses to focus on USB-C over lightning.

commandermik t1_ixn90hr wrote

I’m not saying they should make it lightning only. Just offer a choice for people who have iPhones - it can only help your market share. But downvote away… lol

−4

juliangst t1_ixmtul4 wrote

Exactly. The Fiio KA1 which uses the same Dac as the moondrop dawn also is available as a lightning version for 10€ more

thatcarolguy t1_ixlueqj wrote

If this does not turn out to be the best sounding IEM ever made then it's an utter failure. I am serious. There is no excuse.

−31

ThelceWarrior t1_ixlxy6g wrote

Well it's gonna be a bit hard to tune air performance with it which is where the Chu (Just like basically every IEM with a single DD driver) suffers from.

That being said yeah they should be able to make something like the Chus but even better since they can tune the bass response which is where the Chu was lacking a bit to begin with.

thatcarolguy t1_ixmdng8 wrote

True. I do think the air can be EQd (Or DSPd) but the amount required would vary per listener and the most important thing is not having huge spikes. For me the Dusk is the only IEM I have heard s o far where the air frequencies can be boosted and cut at will without worrying about any spikes above 10k.

−1