Submitted by MegaHiro64 t3_z1k05o in headphones

I’ve had my Hd8xx for months now and I’d like to make some upgrades, you know, that upgrade the sound at a low cost.

————————

1st. Ear pads, which ear pads are the best for the Hd8xx?

Are they easy to put on?

Do they change the sound by a lot?

Can they widen the soundstage?

Where can I buy them?

Which one should I get? ————————-

2nd. Balanced cables, do they change the sound by a lot? Xlr?

I’m running the schiit stack, I don’t think I can plug in balanced cables but I’d get something for it if it makes a difference.

—————- That’s about it, thanks for your help!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

mqtpqt t1_ixbeba1 wrote

sticker mod

johndoest t1_ixbolpw wrote

Balanced cables make no difference for sound quality but some amps deliver more power over balanced port so they can make your headphones louder. Different pads will certainly affect the sound but do you really think that a random pair of cheap chinese pads is more suitable for your gear than what the engineers came up with during the designing and testing process? If you like your headphones then just use them the way they are and if you need more then upgrade to something else. Modding headphones seems like a waste of time and money mixed with a healthy dose of snake oil to me.

FastGecko5 t1_ixd2jcu wrote

> Modding headphones seems like a waste of time and money mixed with a healthy dose of snake oil to me.

Boooo

johndoest t1_ixd5jrt wrote

I mean if you want to do it then go ahead. I just don’t think it’s worth it.

InFortunaWeLust t1_ixbzp25 wrote

I'm actually enjoying the new ZMF leather pads for 8XX. They sound more impactful and mids are pushed forward a bit while bass lowered but i eq it back up. I can wear these for 10 hours with my EQ setting and not get fatigued anymore.

​

I'm scared to do the sticker mod, need more info before I decide if i want to do that

​

As for cables, I bought a 1.2m cable with 4pin XLR plug from Forza Audio Works and am very pleased with the quality of the cable and also the length since I use my headphones at my desk only the shorter length is really perfect for me. Sound difference from this cable and stock sennheiser cable is the same (imo).

School-Tricky t1_ixd0mb6 wrote

I had a lot of luck with Dekoni elite hybrid pads on HD800S. Soundstage widens L/R a bit but seems narrower F/B. Bass has a bit of a bump. Comfort is improved IMO. And it couples better to the head. Overall I liked the mod

JerbearCuddles t1_ixbkt5y wrote

Schiit Modi/Magni? Cause I have these and also wonder if they'd be fine for these headphones. Lol.

Knopfler_PI t1_ixbmx79 wrote

Magni is too harsh for the HD800 imo. Not the worst thing for them I guess, but HD800 sounds best with tube amps. Garage1217 Project Horizon 3 under $300 would pair nicely.

bafrad t1_ixbirtx wrote

There are no upgrades. Enjoy what you got.

−2