Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

hewmanbin t1_j5w89z2 wrote

I dare you to say this again in 6 months or when the next sale occurs 🤣🤣🤣

Tubie34 t1_j5xwj3x wrote

I said it a decade ago with the 650s and it's still my endgame. you don't need to shill for every new headphone, especially since half of the new headphones won't last a fraction as long as something like the hd 600.

Unbelievable_Girth t1_j5yp15x wrote

>your don't need to shill for every new headphone

/r/inearfidelity in shambles

tupisac t1_j5zcpsa wrote

Yep, totally agree. My Hd-600 is almost 15 years old now and haven't even looked at other headphones since then. I just buy new cables and foams from time to time and maybe try new EQ curve for a bit.

Same with speakers - bought a pair of used LSR 305 few years ago and recently added a LRS 310s sub as an endgame cherry. I'm still in awe how good this set sounds.

TraditionContent9818 t1_j60stp7 wrote

Totally agree on the LSRs, i have them for 8 years now and these things sound much better than they should!

tupisac t1_j61e3gj wrote

Yes! I wasn't expecting much from a pair of speakers costing half as much as my headphones, but oh boy was I wrong. This waveguide thing is pure magic.

Paired with a sub those puppies simply crushed my HD-600 and devoured it's mutilated remains for breakfast.

TraditionContent9818 t1_j62ok56 wrote

Funny thing is, i was looking for subs yesterday but the LSR310s now sells for 500€!

tupisac t1_j62zqod wrote

Frankly - it's not worth this much. I've bought mine used so it's a different story, but I've almost pulled the trigger on new SVS SB-1000. You should check it out. It has 80 Hz fixed crossover point on line outs - just like JBL, but at least phase control works. The only real downside is lack of balanced connections.

Another choice to consider are KRK subs. Those have full 360 degrees phase control, full crossover control and bypass pedal. I find lack of those features on JBL extremely annoying.

Subs are notoriously hard to set up and the phase control is a must. I've lucked out with my room and placement, but it took a bit of effort and a lot of REW measurements. I also feel like I'd want to cross a bit lower, like 60-70 Hz.

TraditionContent9818 t1_j631f4q wrote

>Subs are notoriously hard to set up and the phase control is a must. I've lucked out with my room and placement, but it took a bit of effort and a lot of REW measurements. I also feel like I'd want to cross a bit lower, like 60-70 Hz.

well, 70hz is the point where the LSRs start to flat-line on the FR, so that would be a good place to crossover I guess.

I was also looking at the KRK subs as they seem to offer a more complete feature set. Just now checked SVS, all north of 750€ where I live. Are they worth it? KRK are much more reasonable at 300€ for S8.4 and 400€ for S10.4 for example.

tupisac t1_j635amh wrote

Maybe you're looking at SB-1000 PRO that has app support (you don't need that). Plain SB-1000 goes for 499€ on amazon.de.

Is it worth it? Can's say for sure, but it is a sealed sub with 12" driver capable of going into low 20s. Hard to argue with that. Also, people seem to like it and it has good opinions on ASR forums. It might lack a bit in SPL department (ported subs usually deliver more boom per watt) but it's not this critical in near-field and certainly it has a best ratio of inches per buck spent.

I wouldn't look at anything smaller than 10", unless in a very tiny room.

Choice between S10.4 and SVS is really hard, I don't envy you ;)

TraditionContent9818 t1_j637ifw wrote

>Maybe you're looking at SB-1000 PRO that has app support (you don't need that). Plain SB-1000 goes for 499€ on amazon.de.

tough luck there: This item cannot be dispatched to your selected delivery location. Please choose a different delivery location.

this one plays hard to get!

>Is it worth it? Can's say for sure, but it is a sealed sub with 12" driver capable of going into low 20s. Hard to argue with that. Also, people seem to like it and it has good opinions on ASR forums. It might lack a bit in SPL department (ported subs usually deliver more boom per watt) but it's not this critical in near-field and certainly it has a best ratio of inches per buck spent.

it will go in the living room, this deficit in SPL might come into play a bit as it will also be used for midfield listening. Not a huge living room though as I guess it could work.

>I wouldn't look at anything smaller than 10", unless in a very tiny room.

I agree as I also think that 8'' are not future-proof enough to justify a purchace

>Choice between S10.4 and SVS is really hard, I don't envy you ;)

No worries there also! As I wrote earlier this will go into the living room so I will just let my wife pick the one she likes the most!

tupisac t1_j63btzh wrote

>it will go in the living room,

That opens a whole new can of worms...

From my journey through the sub rabbit hole I remember people agreeing that a nice set of big 3-way towers beats any bookshelf + sub combo in terms of music in living rooms. Subs are just too tricky. On the other hand, if you're after home cinema experience you generally go with biggest boom possible (you want to go beyond 20 Hz) on multiple ported subs for proper coverage and SPL levels. Like at least double SVS PB-2000.

Crazy stuff. Near field is way easier and cheaper.

TraditionContent9818 t1_j63f8fu wrote

>From my journey through the sub rabbit hole I remember people agreeing that a nice set of big 3-way towers

Totally this! What held me back (and still does) is that a change of venue is coming in the next couple of years so I'm considering the addition of a sub as a possible intermediate solution for a sound upgrade. Also, as this falls more in the 'nice to have' than the 'absolutely need to have' category for me, I'm internally debating about buying nothing now and upgrading my budget for later.

Well, choices choices I guess!

xtel9 t1_j5z3czq wrote

I have to totally agree with this point

xGuacamolly OP t1_j5w9ykp wrote

🤣😭

KingForKings t1_j5y2nal wrote

you wont stop. think about the sundara which many want to try out due to the similarities....

xGuacamolly OP t1_j5y4v8l wrote

I'd prefer that NDH30 🤤

thatfhc t1_j5yw5jo wrote

Im thinking about addind ndh30 to my collection in the future. How is is compared to the hd600? I have the hd660s so thats why im curious

KingForKings t1_j5y57wt wrote

Perfect sound stage. It has beaten the 1990 which I dislike to the fullest in Half Life 2 Episode 2 where Alyx and Vautigont talk about the Combine invasion together with Gordon... The placement is perfect. Mids are great and treble laid back compared to the M1ST or probably the 600 which I did not receive yesterday thanks Hermest packet service (I have it listed as send to gas station but they went to my home). Bass might be a no-go or a win because it has nothing to do with consumer headphones, it is literally a subwoofer but quieter with so many shapes and levels of darkness. Also super unconfortable headband but pads got bigger by far compared to my now sold NDH20 which sound fake. It needs an amp and shows flaws in music like positioning of everything.

xGuacamolly OP t1_j5y80yx wrote

It was a 600 or NDH30, i went for the cheapest