Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

anunderdog t1_iueb7cu wrote

This is hardly a big reveal. This has been known for decades. He alluded to it in the seven pillars of wisdom, which is very long and tedious but worth a read if you are interested in the history of the region. Also he wrote that book twice, because the first time he left the manuscript in the back of a taxi!

alfredpsmurtz t1_iuee5t5 wrote

Didn't know the wrote it twice fact I read the book many, many years ago as I found TE Lawrence an intriguing character who came out of a unassuming position to become a leader of so many disparate groups in the region.

anunderdog t1_iuefl0s wrote

Yes. His story is fascinating. I saw David Lean's film when I was young and was inspired by it. The film is so much more exciting, but the book is obviously more accurate and insightful. I was quite disappointed when I found out Lawrence wasn't actually in the charge of Aquaba because he accidentally shot his camel 🐪

MRCHalifax t1_iues61v wrote

It was left at Reading Station while he was changing trains. So he rewrote it from memory, having burned all of his notes. But it was a mess. So he rewrote it again. And then he did a proof-printing, and then substantially revised it. And then he put out a limited edition version that people could actually get, but that put him deep in debt. So he cut out half of that version for the version that went out to the public.

It was not a smooth process by any means, and it means that there is no definitive version of the text, even among the works that weren't lost.

anunderdog t1_iuewifh wrote

Wow! I read he left it in a cab but either way... That is dedication. If I found a huge manuscript like that I would definitely try to find the owner. Someone probably just binned it. It's a huge book, and dry as toast so I'm not surprised it wasn't a best seller but what an adventure. I wonder why he burned his notes? Any ideas?

MRCHalifax t1_iuexm5h wrote

He suffered from mental health issues. I suspect it’s related to that, but I’m no expert on him or on mental health, so take that with a massive grain of salt.

cynicalspacecactus t1_iuhxoib wrote

I believe what you are referring to are the limited and trade editions of Revolt in the Desert, which although were abridged versions of Seven Pillars of Wisdom, were not published under that name, so should not be considered competing with the whole work for the definitive status.

ButterflyAttack t1_iuf13fk wrote

I didn't find it tedious at all. Fascinating look at the period, the war, the overlapping of cultures, and Lawrence's own flawed and lacerated self. Just IMO, but wanted to make the point that it's worth reading.

anunderdog t1_iuf29wl wrote

Absolutely it's worth reading, I in no way meant to imply otherwise!

BorisTheMansplainer t1_iufgspk wrote

Right. How can you find a book with a scene where the author rearranges bodies in the moonlight tedious? The entire thing was engrossing and often quite haunting.

Tiako t1_iuflh8g wrote

I could imagine someone expecting a simple war memoir would find it a tough read, but if you want a somewhat fictionalized account of a very strange Englishman who was really Working Through Stuff then it is a strong recommendation.

Ripheus-33 t1_iughd59 wrote

Sounds fascinating but why did you capitalize Working Through Stuff, is that a reference to something in the book?

Teantis t1_iugjiom wrote

He had PTSD really bad people think and may or may not have been raped by Turkish soldiers along with all the other bad shit he went through. He was known for being pretty weird after wwi also.

Ripheus-33 t1_iugvivc wrote

Oh my gosh, that’s so sad

ELI-PGY5 t1_iuh65hw wrote

I’m 80% sure the Turkish soldier thing is Lawrence’s homoerotic slash fiction, so don’t feel too bad for him. Controversial area, there is some decent scholarship on this issue.

hellraisinhardass t1_iugp9tn wrote

I too found parts of it very tedious. Some of his writing, particularly descriptions of the sights, sounds and even smells of the desert and war are some of the best ever written. But his mixes in entire chapters of political discussions and observations about the interactions between different tribes and colonial powers that are almost impossible for a causal reader to choke down.

cogwerk t1_iuhqnnj wrote

Would you be able to recommend a general history for some accurate background? I want to place personal accounts and autobiographies in context, and I loved the film and want to dig into this

ButterflyAttack t1_iuifjgn wrote

I'm afraid I'm a fairly promiscuous reader rather than an expert. I usually have multiple books on the go at any one time and flit across genres and periods. Perhaps /r/askhistorians may be able to recommend something.

cynicalspacecactus t1_iui0vla wrote

I can hardly believe that someone who has actually read the unabridged book in print to have not found much of the book tedious. Much of the 700+ page text is hard to track as names for Arab persons TE encountered are introduced throughout the book but the ones that have already been introduced are not kept constant. Long passages are then composed of flowery descriptions of high level descriptions of conversations, between persons referred to with non-constant names.

ButterflyAttack t1_iuif42q wrote

I've actually read it several times. Certainly I preferred to return to some parts more than others but I didn't find it at all tedious. TBF I also really like Moby Dick, which many people seem to feel is unreadable - so maybe I'm something of an outlier.

cynicalspacecactus t1_iuiig5x wrote

Fair enough. I read it halfway twice before getting through it from the beginning on the third attempt. It is a beautifully written book and I dont think I've ever read a work written with a similar character, even if it did sometimes have a hard time holding my focus.

Painting_Agency t1_iueilz6 wrote

> seven pillars of wisdom

Expected Sabaton

SirBaggyballs t1_iufpmei wrote

Great song, easily one of my favorite from Sabaton.

lostindanet t1_iufvl5z wrote

not my style, but respect the style and quality. also, i listen to Sabaton everytime Indy Neidell does a special with them :D

SirBaggyballs t1_iugcj56 wrote

It is different than most of their stuff but suites my tastes quite well, up there with Attack of the Dead Men and Resist and Bite for favorite Sabaton songs.

Nadamir t1_iuihmc0 wrote

I run a DND campaign in a world where there’s an important temple called The Twelve Pillars of Knowledge.

When my players asked about it, I told them it comprised Five Pillars of Intelligence and Seven Pillars of Wisdom.

No one got the joke. I was disappointed in them.

pydry t1_iufcle5 wrote

It was in the movie too.

JohnnyBoy11 t1_iuftkhy wrote

I read the first page and it became very apparent in my mind of how highly he viewed Scripture. I put the book down and felt that I couldn't approach the book until I had inculcated that same level in order to respect the work.

HuntytheToad t1_iug3gyv wrote

In the preface of the Seven Pillars of Wisdom my takeaway was that he disapproved of the British actions there and that he generally wasn't happy with the turnout of those events. But it has been a few years since I read it, so perhaps my memory is off.

HistoriaNova t1_iug9imf wrote

If someone doesn't have the time to get through it, there's also the abridged version Revolt in the Desert, which is a good read.

tucci007 t1_iuh4i1z wrote

I have a 2nd edition of that book; it is a very good read, and a nice little volume.

MONKEH1142 t1_iuhod09 wrote

I have the 1926 edition. He describes his sense of duplicity in detail.

rookieseaman t1_iuhtqys wrote

I was gonna say anyone who knows anything about the man wouldn’t be surprised by this.

KB_Sez t1_iugb0y3 wrote

Was about to say this. I think it was even alluded to in the David Lean film

Freestripe t1_iui16fm wrote

The last line of 7 pillars of wisdom "and all at once I realised how sorry I was".