Submitted by iamfromtwitter t3_yh9w79 in iphone

The Iphone 14 had its sim card slot removed but when people opened it they discovered that there is just an empty space now where the slot used to be.

This leds to the question what is apple planning to put in this free space? Is it just gonna be more battery space or are they gonna add something new to the hardware? And if so what is it gonna be?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

nicuramar t1_iuco2dt wrote

Whatever it will be, it won’t be right now, as long as all the other versions of the device still have the tray.

Kindnexx t1_iucqah4 wrote

Maybe a secondary Taptic Engine for solid state volume buttons ?

CatFlier t1_iucoglq wrote

I’d be very happy if they put a headphone jack there; but I know that’s never gonna happen.

huyanh995 t1_iucr5n5 wrote

The fourth camera? Lol. It’s ridiculous that the whole camera module is probably as big as the mainboard.

Skripka t1_iue6uu9 wrote

Presently, in the USA models, just a block of plastic is what is there.

different-angle t1_iuecgfy wrote

Apple will reconsider and put the Sim card slot back. 🙄

bigrobcx t1_iucz8qp wrote

Probably the electronics for a USB-C connector so they can keep the lightning port while adding a USB-C connector on the bottom of the phone to piss of the EU.

−1

baldeagleNL t1_iufc2ow wrote

Why would that piss off anyone in the EU? It's a stupid idea, but it solves all problems.

TAbramson15 t1_iucs5r2 wrote

Could be a possible Touch ID sensor location. Would probably be about the same size hardware if you look at the iPad Air Touch ID power button size. And be about the perfect location for someone’s thumb to hit it perfectly.

−2

iamfromtwitter OP t1_iucvatt wrote

but why touch id if there is face id?

−2

TAbramson15 t1_iucwyld wrote

Some people want the option, like how androids have face unlock, fingerprint sensors, etc and it’s been talked about many times now that I guess apple is giving up on the under display Touch ID. Some people would rather pick up their phone and have the fingerprint scanner over Face ID. It’s just nice to have choices on biometrics. For me personally I like my Face ID, but not gonna lie sometimes I wish I could just tap a finger and be in as well if I don’t feel like lifting the phone up, or to the proper angle to scan my face. Plus they have the hardware already to put it in a small pill shaped sensor like the power button on the iPad Air so it’s theoretically possible that it can just be a cut out kinda like how the millimeter wave antenna oval on the side looks.

kingcaru t1_iud895x wrote

So that in the presentation they can bring up that they have the best touch id sensor even though they were the ones who took it out in the first place