Submitted by Key_Performer_6012 t3_125coh2 in jerseycity

Guys, I found an apartment for rent at Grove street via FB marketplace rentals. The landlady asked me to email her attorney for an application form to get the procedure started. The attorney/ management is now asking for a 100$ fee to start the application process and is saying a tour of the apartment is possible only when the fee is paid. If I don’t like the apartment after the tour, the money will be refunded. I have never heard of this system before. Is it legit or some sort of scam? Need help!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BeMadTV t1_je4bsln wrote

What's the address of the apartment?

goddam_sachs t1_je4gmna wrote

Needing to pay a fee to just view the apartment? SCAM.

Awt5 t1_je4iaxu wrote

Most likely scam. Do reverse image search of the apartment photos that were posted. You might find where those photos were taken from. Also you can ask for the address of the management company and just go there.

LiveFromTheEmbassy t1_je4mlz9 wrote

I’d want this correspondence via email or something anyway, not on FB. The medium alone sounds like a red flag TBH

Accomplished_Day2991 t1_je4phsx wrote

Yeah and even if it’s not, are these people you would want to rent from? But probably a scam.

Onlytheonethatlived t1_je4pzad wrote

What they are asking for to just show the apartment is illegal. Unfortunately this happens a lot. Report them to the police too. In recent years these kind of scams seem to be on the rise in JC, be careful

Lostinlingo t1_je4qpbl wrote

I arrived from India last August and interacted with many such lamdladies and lords with attorneys 😂 most places require 20-50 usd application fee Anything above that is red flag

chillychews t1_je4zyl0 wrote

Lol I talked to a landlady like this last year when I was searching too. Definitely a scam. No one should be charging you to VIEW an apartment

Vegetable_River t1_je531ov wrote

Send a link to the scam apartment. I'm so curious to see if the ad looks legit. I may be looking to move when my lease is up in a few months. Would be nice to see what to look for

chazthetic t1_je57j0m wrote

100% a scam. It's always the other way around, tour, then application

franciswilliambird t1_je57xo6 wrote

I looked at an apt once that had a big sign on the door that said "if you saw this on facebook marketplace that was a scam" what happened was they copied the apartment ad but cut the price by half and had people pay to "apply" and then pocketed the money. Never pay to see an apartment.

Blecher_onthe_Hudson t1_je5mk87 wrote

It could be worse. I've heard stories about people driving up with all their possessions to move in to a house they've rented over the internet sight unseen only to find it was a scam and the owner has no idea who they are! Who would do that???

Speaking as a landlord, I think application fees are scandalous. Given a year's lease is at least $20,000, I'm willing to eat the $30 that it costs me to run credit on a couple. It's just a cost of doing business even if someone ghosts me afterwards, as has happened. The pre-qualifying application system on Zillow does seem pretty fair however.

WooliesWhiteLeg t1_je5wjf6 wrote

You’ll have to pay $100 to view my answer to your question

HobokenJ t1_je6gjaw wrote

Sca-a-a-a-a-a-a-am
Sca-a-a-a-a-a-a-am
Sca-a-a-a-a-a-a-am
Sca-a-a-a-a-a-a-am

Lovely Scam! (Lovely Scam!)
Lovely Scam! (Lovely Scam!)
Lovely Scam!

Scam, Scam, Scam, Scam!

Background-Basis2147 t1_je6s762 wrote

Scam bro, don’t trust anything on fb lol it’s scam central now just like when they ask for your zelle info and gonna have someone else pick it up tell them you’ll request the money and see how fast they leave 😂

Amber2408 t1_je73dgc wrote

“Why are you not responding?” Desperate Scammers.

7ave_dude t1_je7bcwy wrote

So did you send any personal info like SSN, DOB, that's the scary part

BoulevardDrinks t1_je7l8k4 wrote

Any time someone asks for money upfront I would have to assume it’s a scam. Beware!!!

obsuart t1_je9a7oc wrote

I’ve encountered a few of these scammers on Facebook and Craigslist. People take pictures off of Zillow or something like that and make fake listings for places they don’t own. I won’t give any money until after I able to go and see a real apartment. Be careful out there these people are preying on people who are desperate to find a home

Rube777 t1_jeanamw wrote

I wouldn’t pay someone a nickel just to see an apartment…