Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

YetiSherpa t1_janhtc7 wrote

I hope it works out for the current residents here. Apparently, it wasn't the case for Cabrini-Greens in Chicago when they went mixed income.

"And of the thousands of families who were promised they could return, more than 80% never did — some were disqualified, relocated or simply overwhelmed with bureaucracy. Many died waiting. Even today, 85 families who used to live in Cabrini-Green are still on decades-old waiting lists to move back. "

moobycow t1_jao0hta wrote

It wasn't the case for many developments, the city is well aware of it and has worked to try and see that it doesn't happen. The units are 1 to 1, so there is space for everyone. The rent price will still be 30% of income. They can't do new background or qualification checks.

I'm sure some won't make it back in, for various reasons, but it won't be because the city intentionally screwed them.

https://ceb10e73-891e-43a8-90ed-aea995fd17ef.filesusr.com/ugd/e9e5c0_6d9ed8c9a34640cf97c19cffb4b2d521.pdf

JerseyCityNJ t1_janlad4 wrote

THANK YOU!

They WILL find a way to ensure that NOBODY from Holland Gardens is allowed anywhere near the place once it is built. But I am sure well-connected politicians' kids who are studying in NYC and working part-time will definitely be able to qualify for affordable units to fill whatever quota there is.

−5

No-Practice-8038 t1_jap6s9r wrote

Why are folks down voting this? There has been and always will be a war on poor people it's very much the American way.

JerseyCityNJ t1_jar4feh wrote

People here downvote common sense and uncomfortable truths en masse. They would prefer that their idealized utopian vision of Portlandia-on-the-Hudson remain unscathed by anyone pointing out reality.