Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

OBAFGKM17 t1_jc1q7ua wrote

I may be in the minority here, but I never really understood the hype about Latham House, everything was just so basic and bland on the few times I gave them a try. There are already plenty of restaurants in downtown that have similar menus with better execution, surprised they lasted as long as they did.

cgoldste909 t1_jc24h5l wrote

...fourth'd

The atmosphere was nice but the dishes were always better in concept than execution

DirectorBeneficial48 t1_jc1uzah wrote

Dunno if covid fucked em, but they had great food before then. Took my dad there for his birthday a couple times and we both really enjoyed it.

Jahooodie t1_jc217jq wrote

Post COVID the service suffered really bad in late 2021/22. Went for the outdoor dining a few times last year, and things like not getting the coffee I ordered until the meal was already over or 1 of 4 entrees coming out 15 minutes later made it feel bad. The food also didn't seem as tight, but that may have been nostalgia. My partner & I decided it was basic enough new american food, often an hour wait, and the bad service killed it to the 'no longer consider' list.

Downtown could still use a better basic new american take your parents to brunch place.

They've run a few places, hopefuly they can nail the post-COVID price/service/staff thing down at their next place.

PrincipleOfMoments t1_jc2paw5 wrote

Exactly.

The food used to be so good, you could overlook the service issues they always had.

But, post-COVID, the service got much, much worse and the food quality/consistency dropped, which caused me, and obviously a lot of others, to cross it off of their list.

Additionally, in my opinion, LH was an owner-driven place, and once the owners shifted attention to their shiny new toy in JSQ, things at LH suffered, as is often the case in such situations.

Come to think of it, I notice there was no mention of Emma's in the LH farewell post.

garth_meringue t1_jc336c0 wrote

>basic new american take your parents to brunch place

Isn't that Mathews?

Jahooodie t1_jc36d6n wrote

Pretty much yeah.

Unless you have a punk rock mom then you could just get lucky 7 tachos & a tall boy. I don't want to assume everyone's mom is as picky & straight laced as mine

TacoCityJC t1_jc1xz7o wrote

I always deemed it a peculiar location for a restaurant. Before Latham house that space was essentially a bodega for the occupants of the building and there was a waterfall in the lobby.

FinalIntern8888 t1_jc1yqyx wrote

Yeah it’s a bit removed from the pedestrian plaza

Jahooodie t1_jc21d7g wrote

The rent should be cheaper, but I'd bet the landlord is charging full foot traffic ped plaza prices

Edit: Isn't this the landlord that is also threating to go belly up because Elon stopped paying rent on twitter buildings, and it's the same realty group? Who knows how that effects the outlook of commercial ground floor tenants

squee_bastard t1_jc26poz wrote

I still miss the bodega around the corner from there next to the former subway and across from the former Hard Grove.

EyesOnImprovement t1_jc28t94 wrote

A1 deli.

pro - 24 hr sandwiches

con - getting murdered

squee_bastard t1_jc2azxh wrote

Wait, what? Someone was murdered in there?

squee_bastard t1_jc2iarj wrote

Oh I totally missed this, I’ve been in JC off and on since 2004 and moved around a bit. When I lived on Mercer (2004-2009) I used to visit that bodega almost daily. I can’t remember when it closed but it was still there when I moved back in 2016.

DSM201 t1_jc4lbam wrote

Those chicken sandwiches at 2am were everything

MightyBigMinus t1_jc2c5fd wrote

There's a remarkably broad "ground floor retail" extinction going on everywhere right now. Restaurants are obviously a big part of it, but in exchange place for example even the nail salon and the washington-mutual bank branch noped out (on top of the potbelly and au bon pain).

I don't really know whats up, but my guess is places that were just barely limping through covid waiting/hoping/praying for things to "get back to normal" are finally hitting their breaking point. As much as every clickbait headline is about some company forcing workers to return to their office, you can still see most floors of most buildings down here are empty.

bodhipooh t1_jc2dqp4 wrote

100% this - I find most (if not all) of my clients have not gone back to full on site, and have no plans to do so. In fact, some of them are very much NOT considering any sort of forced RTO plan. One of my favorite clients is located three blocks away, and I go see them every other week, and there is never more than a handful of people on site (6 or 7?) and at least two of those are there to work with me on specific IT initiatives. They have a whole floor at 101 Hudson and never more than a few souls there. I can't imagine it is cheap to lease a whole floor there. The entire building is mostly deserted. I can't imagine any of those few remaining lunch places can survive on what little foot traffic is there now.

mickyrow42 t1_jc2i1af wrote

what industry are we talking?

bodhipooh t1_jc2k08s wrote

I am an IT consultant. The majority of my clients are law firms and insurance firms, peppered with a slew of financial firms. Among law firms, I find they have hybrid setups (3/2 mostly) while the insurance firms are almost entirely remote. The financial firms are all over the place. Some hedge funds are entirely remote, with an office available for those who which to come on site, while some did away with their offices. A few seem to have settled on loose hybrid setups. I don't have any clients doing full on site, and have only heard of one recently pushing for a 4/1 hybrid setup. I seldom go anywhere on site (I have been almost entirely remote since Summer 2017) but I do visit my JC client somewhat often because they are 5 minutes away and I do enjoy hanging out with those guys, so why not. It's hard for me to square all those RTO headlines with my personal experience, but I also know my perspective might be warped considering the combination of work and clients.

mickyrow42 t1_jc2my3x wrote

For sure interesting -- especially because the financials are some of the more prominent ones to first bring back and be pretty strict about it. It seems to be completely circumstantial even within the same company. My overall company has brought people back on the 3/2 plan, but plenty of divisions or departments are doing their own thing as well; I have no mandated return schedule. Go in on my own when I feel like cuz I go crazy at home. But I've heard from higher ups there's a lot of pressure building to make it more strict and possibly even more FT in office.

Also JC vs NYC is interesting -- JC local economy not really as dependent on offices. I'm not one of the people saying NYC is dead, but man midtown is definitely a shell of its former self. So much of Manhattan is based around office culture contributing to economy. Selfish people from LI crying about having to commute again don't really get that. It's a huge issue on a longer timeline. I'm not looking to go back 5 days at all, but I also don't understand the entitlement thought that I should be able to do whatever I want.

bodhipooh t1_jc3ti65 wrote

My former employer is an umbrella company consisting mostly of finance-related businesses but a fairly large technology unit. Officially, the company is on a strict 3/2 hybrid setup, but none of the IT businesses are expected to follow it and they sold or gave up all the offices related to the IT units, and kept a few small spaces in some datacenters for employees that need to come on site. Very similar to what you describe for yourself.

I also agree with you that midtown is VERY different now. On the rare occasion I go into NYC during the week, it strikes me how much the vibe has changed. I also agree that (long term) it is not good if people continue to refuse to go back to offices. And, while it is true that JC is not as wholly dependent on offices as Manhattan, there is no way that the current situation is not having a significant impact on local businesses. It's DEAD in the Exchange Place and Harborside office area. If it remains that way, I don't see how any of those lunch places can survive. Even the "District Kitchen" concept seems to be on life support. But, again, I will be the first to admit that my perspective is warped by my particulars, and industry. But, the data seems to back up that perspective. Last I heard, the MTA subway ridership is still at about 70% of 2019 levels. And, it is widely reported that less than 60% of employees are actually on site on an average day. From my limited perspective, numbers for JC offices are MUCH LOWER. I can tell you that the entirety of 101 Hudson feels like a ghost town, and that used to be a fairly bustling building. From my living room, I can look at the Harborside complex entrance and it looks mostly dead all day.

Own_Pop_9711 t1_jc4mqs0 wrote

Why should remote workers in long island be forced to commute to Manhattan just so you can have a vibrant midtown? I kind of feel like you are the entitled one demanding the whole economy shape itself around your personal preferences. If remote work killed new york city, then new york city is dead.

mickyrow42 t1_jc54ndc wrote

lol k. not sure how you got there. but yes lets let the entire island die you're right.

marcmlwords t1_jch8vku wrote

Personally, if you ask me, anything that keeps sone of those folks from Long Island away can’t be all bad.

silenti t1_jc2w3s3 wrote

Personally, since I now work from home full-time, I get so many more things delivered. I used to be able to hit various shops on my way home but now I need to make an intentional choice to go out.

vocabularylessons t1_jc3365g wrote

At least in the case of ABP, Panera sold the brand to Ampex along with ~500 leases, and of the remaining ABP locations, converted some into Panera concepts and closed down the rest.

To your broader point though, IMO a lot of retail is being right-sized or going through a correction of sorts. Many store concepts are ill-suited for their particular location or companies have too many locations. Latham, specifically, is in a weird location.

moobycow t1_jc1we4g wrote

I'm never happy to see a place close, but also never that surprised. Running a restaurant is exhausting, and if you're not absolutely killing it it can be hard to justify the amount of time and effort needed.

bdigital4 t1_jc3bvxz wrote

Asian Chxn Salad is banginnnn here. Gonna miss it.

sjs-ski-nyc t1_jc262d5 wrote

weird location and too expensive. could eat at better places for the same $

el_tigrox t1_jc2sqsi wrote

We stopped going there because the hours just were too late in the morning. Opening up at 10 is great for brunchers, but my old ass is up at 7, and I want to eat by 8. There's just not many places around here for breakfast, period. And ones that open for earlier-than-brunch hours, are even less.

henry_sqared t1_jc20xq7 wrote

Sad to see this; I always enjoyed their food and the vibe was nice. Their brunch is great.

grantscott7 t1_jc239op wrote

Damn between this and Teppan local gems are disappearing…

pyopyang t1_jc7cpb1 wrote

so this is how i find out that teppan closed.

Hopai79 t1_jc2h3vy wrote

Why top comments in this subreddit keep getting deleted or removed?

halocene_epic t1_jc2p29a wrote

You either blocked that user, or they blocked you.

Hopai79 t1_jc2w1j9 wrote

Just confirmed. No idea why they would block me. Thanks!

drew_z t1_jc306h8 wrote

same guy blocked me too after I said downtown ShopRite sucked. weirdo

MrJediDolphin t1_jc1r46v wrote

I'm glad theyre closing. Their menu made no sense and the food was terrible

−16