Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Jazzlike_Drawer7174 t1_iv0k20f wrote

I agree. It is so much easier to take WTC train and then take the E Train uptown. The E train is frequent. Getting to the E Train is a pleasant walk through the Oculus indoors. 33rd street is a hell hole.

ng300 t1_iv0td3e wrote

I currently take the bus from where I live now to port authority and take the E and that station is just sad!! As long as anything is better than that!!! Lol!

the_running_stache t1_iv0u203 wrote

Almost every major train station in NYC in better than Port Authority. Also, WTC station was recently renovated.

protox88 t1_iv0kkm7 wrote

Take whichever train comes first. If you can get a seat on the 33rd line, it's not so bad. Depends which Ave you're on at 53rd, you could probably walk from 33rd on nice spring/autumn days too.

ng300 t1_iv0thhn wrote

This is something to definitely keep in mind thank you!!!

aubreypizza t1_iv2fch4 wrote

Yup I walk from 33rd to 42nd when the weather is nice. Takes me about 12-15min.

jim13101713 t1_iv0lso1 wrote

I worked on 49th between 5 and 6th. I always found the path to 33rd and BDFM to Rockefeller center to be 5-10 minutes faster. It is a shorter walk from path station to BDFM and there are 4 trains to catch v. 1 to catch with WTC which means you rarely wait more than 1-2 minutes to jumb on a train.

I also use to skip the subway and walk quite a bit to save on the subway cost.

moobycow t1_iv3122h wrote

I'm at Rock Center and I find 33rd faster as well, but it's nice to have the option for if one or the other PATH isn't running.

fulanita_de_tal t1_iv0lukg wrote

Google Maps allows you to look at public transit route options and compare them. It’s actually pretty accurate!

ng300 t1_iv0t44l wrote

Thanks I’ve been doing this but didn’t know how accurate it really was!

fulanita_de_tal t1_iv0tyk6 wrote

Yeah the PATH actually runs on the posted schedule so that part is always super accurate. The subway does not but because it comes so frequently even if its off by 2 minutes the overall trip is still pretty spot-on. I’ve lived in NYC for 15 years and still use GMaps whenever I’m going anywhere lol

The only thing it’s not good for is giving you options that combine transit+walking. Sometimes not transferring to a subway and just walking is about the same as 2 trains, but it doesn’t show you that as an option.

Jabs349 t1_iv0py9t wrote

I have a similar commute- Grove St to 5av/53rd. My goal is to minimize walking and what I’ve found easiest is taking PATH to 23rd and then M to 5av/53rd. The transfer to the subway at 23rd is just a flight of stairs vs. walking through Oculus at WTC

robotmlg t1_iv1a7ct wrote

If you do take the 33rd St PATH and want to change to the M, my pro tip is to change at 23rd instead of 33rd. At 23rd it's a quick transfer down and up the stairs. At 33rd, the PATH pulls in slowly because it's the end off the line and then it's a longer walk to the 6th ave line platforms

ng300 t1_iv1cr1b wrote

GREAT TIP! This is why I come to Reddit lol!!!!

jim13101713 t1_iv1vi08 wrote

The one downside to this is that the B and D trains do not stop at 23rd so you will be waiting for a subway longer on average.

I also find that walking out of 33rd street station is easier if they open both sides of the train, which they usually do. Just switch to the second side of the PATH doors they open and you will not have any any bottlenecks through the turnstiles.

But you are correct that the walk is a bit shorter. Also note that there are multiple ways to get from PATH at 33rd to the BDMF trains, make sure you are going to the right side when you exit the PATH turnstiles - do not walk the hallway on the left - the stairs on the right are much faster. It took me a while to find this shortcut.

a_trane13 t1_iv0kfca wrote

They’re going to be similar in time on the weekdays. One might beat the other by 5 minutes in a given situation.

WTC option will be a little less crowded and that station is way nicer and cleaner than 33rd st. I would prefer it slightly.

If the weather is nice I would also consider walking from 33rd st. Saves you 2.75 and is a nice 20-30 min walk. It would only add 5-10 mins to the commute overall.

AHugeDongAppeared t1_iv0s67x wrote

PATH to 33rd + CitiBike would be fastest. On bad weather days you could take the subway instead.

moobycow t1_iv31d3l wrote

Citibike is almost non-existent around 33rd. Very rarely can I get a bike

AHugeDongAppeared t1_iv35kmn wrote

Fair. Depends on the time of day. There are also many other stations in walking distance in that area. If I were OP I would just start walking uptown until I found a station with a bike.

moobycow t1_iv52e7u wrote

I generally make it to about 42nd before there's a bike in the morning.

It's not a bad idea, in fact it's such a good idea that everyone else has normally already taken a bike (and I get there early). Maybe they restock at a certain time mid-commute time and it works.

acaba36 t1_iv0lmp3 wrote

I made that exact commute years ago. I walked. It was great for my health and I would take the subway in bad weather situations.

datatadata t1_iv116lz wrote

You need to transfer regardless so you would probably want to take whichever (33rd or WTC line) comes first

dfleish t1_iv0ovlq wrote

I agree the bus is better than most people think, but living so close to the path station makes choosing the path a no-brainer.

I would take the advice of most people here and say, on nicer days take the path to 33rd and walk. Other days take the path to WTC and then whatever subway makes the most sense from there. It’s a nice indoor walk through the WTC station (The Oculus).

Ok_Satisfaction420 t1_iv0pvpg wrote

The best route I have found is taking the 33rd st train to 23rd street, and then hopping on the M. the 23rd st station is small, and often as soon as I get up the stairs from the path, the M is pulling up

Public_Minute_805 t1_iv10fn0 wrote

So I've been doing this commute for a long time. I kind of go back and forth, sometimes taking the 33rd St line and walking, or the 33rd St line and whatever comes first (B,D,F,M) to get near 53rd, or the 33rd St and then change from 9th to W4th and have even more options (B,D,F,M,E) --- or just going to WTC to admire the gorgeous station environs and taking the E local. If you feel like exercise bring a manual folding kick scooter and skip the subway part.

I was glad I didn't go the WTC route on 9/11, but other than that it's really whatever strikes you in terms of mood or how the trains are running.

CorduroyJoy t1_iv1bj8c wrote

I always take the WTC train in and take an addition MTA train to get where I’m going, it’s almost always quicker. The 33rd st train takes fucking forever

KypFisto t1_iv1hkgy wrote

I used to do that same commute when I lived up the Hill. It essentially boiled down to which train I could catch first:

• WTC: Take it to WTC, then walk across the Oculus to the E stop and take it to 5th & 53rd

• 33rd: Take it to 23rd and walk to the in-station transfer (you'll still have to swipe twice) to the 23rd F/M stop. Once you're there, it depends on if the F or M shows up first. If it's the F, I go to 47-50th and walk and the M goes straight to 5th & 53rd. Sometimes 3 F trains will roll through before an M shows up.

adamatic_521 t1_iv8xpz2 wrote

That’s basically my commute right now (except I go to Lexington Ave-53rd St). It really is basically exactly the same amount of time whether you take the train to WTC or to 33rd so, like a bunch of others said, I would generally just recommend taking whichever one comes first BUT, I would also recommend signing up for MTAAlerts because there have definitely been days where I take the train to 33rd and the M is messed up or I take the train to WTC and the 4/5/6 is messed up.

Most of the time I just bike from Herald Square unless the weather is bad but Citibike availability can be very hit or miss.

aa043 t1_iv0l8gd wrote

Consider taking buses instead. More pleasant than PATH and you can get fresh air except in tunnel but PATH is mostly in dingy dark tunnels.

Port Authority Bus Station is well connected by subways and there are also buses outside.

The walk from PA bus station to 53rd and 5th is only a mile but can be very busy with people.

−3