Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

akowz OP t1_iw4qh7d wrote

I dont necessarily disagree. Shit happens. But figure it out before we sat 10 minutes in an allegedly broken train that worked well enough to get us to hoboken (where the path notoriously sits egregiously long for no reason).

This state collects $51 billion in tax revenue (https://www.nj.com/politics/2022/05/nj-will-collect-a-whopping-51-billion-in-tax-revenue-this-year-analysts-say.html). And has public infrastructure that competes with second world countries. It is beyond unacceptable.

vocabularylessons t1_iw4t2d1 wrote

>state collects $51 billion in tax revenue

PATH doesn't see a nickel of that. The Port Authority doesn't receive any taxpayer funds from either NY or NJ, it's a self-financing entity and funds the PATH train system through its own operations (and PATH has always lost money, even before the pandemic). PATH should run better and there's likely reasons aside from money why PATH operations stink, but money is a big one.

flapjack212 t1_iw4uj9q wrote

i have to assume the hoboken stop is some kind of appeasement to the hoboken community. they themselves receive 0 inconvenience, but whereas all of jersey city (and newark etc) are inconvenienced.

if they wanted to reduce lines on weekends they could easily have run a shuttle train between hoboken and newport+exchange for example...

on the other hand the hoboken path station is positioned so poorly for them i do feel kind of bad haha

jersey-city-park t1_iw67ten wrote

> i have to assume the hoboken stop is some kind of appeasement to the hoboken community.

Its almost like theres a train station in Hoboken that connects to the rest of NJ

objectimpermanence t1_iw58hzl wrote

Hoboken has a plethora of public transit options compared to most parts of JC. They have the NJ Transit commuter trains, frequent bus service to the Port Aithority, the light rail, and PATH. No matter where you are in Hoboken, you’re rarely more than a 5-10 minute walk to one of those systems.

It’s almost too much for such a small city. Especially for a city that refuses to allow dense residential development next to the Hoboken Terminal, which has plenty of excess capacity. It’s such a wasted opportunity.

The state should take away some of Hoboken’s transit goodies as punishment for their NIMBY housing policies. (I’m half-joking)

WooliesWhiteLeg t1_iw5vw5d wrote

Seriously it could just be a free transfer along the light m rail from hoboken to Newport