Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

fruit__gummy t1_j1i6ukz wrote

I’m not sure the water “decompresses”, I think it’s more like, higher pressure regions of the ocean push up lower pressure regions of the ocean. Think hydraulic pistons etc.

Water is pretty incompressible. If it wasn’t, a gallon of water at the bottom of a swimming pool would weigh more than a gallon from the top, but this isn’t actually true in real life

So water isn’t actually “expanding”, it’s just being pushed up by regions of the ocean with higher atmospheric pressure

I could be wrong but this is my understanding

Edit: actually pretty much every part of your comment is wrong lmao. Why do you speak with such authority on things you have no clue about

HElGHTS t1_j1kyc6d wrote

I think the parent comment is using "compressed" to mean "being forced elsewhere" as opposed to the more typical "being forced into having less volume" which would be exactly what you're also saying. I don't condone imprecise language but I'll give the benefit of the doubt because it's pretty intuitive that water is hardly compressible.

Think about using a compression bandage or compression socks. You're not literally compressing, you're just squeezing the flesh and it goes elsewhere.

fruit__gummy t1_j1l5129 wrote

I think OPs use of the word “expand” means they were using your second definition of compress. Also don’t compression bandages cause your veins to compress/reduced cross sectional area?

Also they are just straight up wrong about this being the cause of the flooding, as other commenters have pointed out