Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Son_of_Blorko t1_j9l5pxm wrote

Because they can. They are the worst department of our state government.

lazybum86 t1_j9lsq35 wrote

I used to think this too. But then I had the misfortune of having to deal with the registry departments of Virginia, North Carolina and Ohio. No one should have to go through that! Northern VA is the worst.

I really don't mind the MA RMV anymore. The appointments make it quick and most things can be done online.

Son_of_Blorko t1_j9luf1w wrote

Hey now! I said the worst department of our state government - that doesn't mean other states are better! We all know Massachusetts is the best state in the union.

Kodiak01 t1_j9ypyd7 wrote

CT has appointments for everything as well. If you go into that subreddit, you'll find the DMV is nearly universally praised by people for how their experiences have been since Covid.

My last experience in Enfield, I had to get a duplicate title for my car. My appointment was at 4:15pm. You'd think they would almost certainly be running behind, but I got seen right on time. The guy helping me was very efficient, done in under 5 minutes with title in hand.

amrodr00 t1_j9luc42 wrote

Chapelle’ Show “why, why treat our customers this way? Because, fuck them, that’s why”

ZaphodG t1_j9lu81d wrote

Personally, I think the appointment system is great. I know I won’t have to wait for hours.

warlocc_ t1_j9od40s wrote

Is that sarcasm?

ZaphodG t1_j9oeska wrote

No. The queue when you make an appointment is pretty short. I’ve never waited more than 20 minutes and the seating area was 1/3 full. I know I can get through the Registry in less than an hour.

warlocc_ t1_j9oumoh wrote

I waited 4 hours last time, with an appointment.

kineaks t1_j9yvktj wrote

Sounds like you live in a bad area

It’s like schooling: If you’re wealthy it’s ok. If it isn’t you’re automatically subclass, inferior, and according to this culture, you’re undeserving.

Maybe do the bootstraps thing harder? Maybe open your mouth for The Trickle?

warlocc_ t1_j9z56me wrote

>Sounds like you live in a bad area

Yeah, like not Boston?

Kodiak01 t1_j9ys6lv wrote

I remember back when the Easthampton one first opened up, back before all the dealers found out about it and would clog it up for hours with their transactions. You could walk in and literally go straight to the counter because there were maybe 2 other customers total.

Hoosac_Love t1_j9l6twc wrote

If it's a renewal ,why not do it online,you can even send neccasary documents by photo uploaded by phone.Everything but first time DL from driving test or first time Real ID ,you may do online.

Icefyre79 t1_j9l8642 wrote

I thought you had to physically go into the RMV or AAA every ten years for an eye test. Is that no longer true?

KinkotheClown OP t1_j9lav71 wrote

I was told I would have to come in no matter which type of license I chose. I think everyone has to come in for a Real ID, which will be necessary in the future for air travel.
I would definitely have renewed online if I could have.

mikemerriman t1_j9lhthi wrote

You don’t need the real Id license if you have a federal I’d such as a passport

Kodiak01 t1_j9ysclp wrote

Who the fuck carries their passport around everywhere with them?

mikemerriman t1_j9yyz0t wrote

You get a passport card now that you ca easily carry. Also it’s only 1 of many federal ids.

Hoosac_Love t1_j9lblf6 wrote

If it's first time real ID yea Otherwise it's every 15 years ,go online and if there is an issue the system will block the renewal otherwise the system will accept I nenewed online in 2020 but I don't have real ID though

Animallover4321 t1_j9le8ej wrote

Join AAA appointments are released every 10 minutes so it’s fairly easy to get an appointment within 2 weeks and it’s incredibly quick. I was in and out in under 10 minutes for my real ID.

GarbageFile13 t1_j9lcsdx wrote

Because it's a pit of misery for everyone

foobar_north t1_j9lgakh wrote

Join AAA, and you can do most stuff at your local office. Why do we have to do this? I've lived in 4 other states and the Mass RMV is the worst.

Some_Ride1014 t1_j9lew2m wrote

I renewed online last year, no problems

HeyaShinyObject t1_j9mc8rx wrote

The whole system probably runs more smoothly because you can smooth out the arrival times of the clients.

sporky211 t1_j9paz6f wrote

If you have Triple A it is honestly the fastest and easiest way to do it. You still have to make an appointment but you will be in and out within 15-20 minutes of arriving. Still takes the 10 days for the license to actually come in the mail though

Fun_Top5285 t1_j9lrte5 wrote

Most are political hacks who hold election signs for someone. They don't have to worry about job security.

tom_echo t1_j9mfm75 wrote

They are extremely poorly funded and underpaid.

Elecrockcity t1_j9mjrnc wrote

Hahaha because those measures had nothing to do with Covid - just like the rest of them.

quack_the_whip t1_j9nbjni wrote

LPT: get AAA for like a month and go there. Easiest thing possible. Made me feel dumb the first time I did it after torturing myself at the rmv

treehouse4life t1_j9ptrhf wrote

Their answering machines were turned off when I tried calling a few months ago. Must have been that damn coronavirus too.