Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

god_damn_bitch t1_j9v8ko7 wrote

A slab of snow/ice came flying off someone's roof while driving on the highway and hit her.

majoroutage t1_j9vw9di wrote

Here's a thought, though. While that indeed sucks, it's also possible they were following said truck a little too closely.

−12

SmellsofElderberry25 t1_j9x1qh1 wrote

Actually, you’re probably less likely to get hit by the ice if you’re tailgating. Im not encouraging this.. but physics.

Weekend_Nanchos t1_j9w1cd4 wrote

That makes sense. I was trying to figure out the physics of how a slab would come through a front windshield. I guess if you were very close and a high truck accelerated fast it could slide backwards into you.

−12

really_isnt_me t1_j9w93q5 wrote

It can happen even if you’re plenty far enough behind the front vehicle. Those ice sheets/ice slabs can fly around in the air in weird ways and can land very unpredictably. R/boston was talking all about it yesterday and some people posted videos. There’s no rhyme or reason to how the ice lands and believe it or not, you can get hit even if you’re not following closely at all.

majoroutage t1_j9w8li9 wrote

I see ice chunks come flying off the roofs of vehicles, especially box trucks and semi trailers, traveling at highway speeds all the time.

Weekend_Nanchos t1_j9w955m wrote

Of course. Yes, that does make sense. The ice stays on… until it doesn’t.

karpomalice t1_j9wdvnp wrote

Lol are you new to driving in northern states?

Ice sheets fly up in the air and due to the speed of traffic your car can travel significant distance before the sheet comes down

You could be traveling multiple car lengths behind a vehicle with ice on their roof and it could still fly over your car.