Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BeardiesRule112 t1_j8xl5hy wrote

Tip the workers instead of paying for someone else’s drink.

−64

Lurchie_ t1_j8xoyf2 wrote

This is a wonderful illustration of how a small kindness can make a huge difference. You never know what someone is going through in their life.

chancimus33 t1_j8ydch7 wrote

Aren’t you supposed to pay it forward immediately and pay for the guy behind you?

−15

pjk922 t1_j8yhm5m wrote

Sorta unrelated, but I found myself saying “sorry about that” as a courtesy in work related emails. Like, “oh sorry about that, seems there’s been a miscommunication and…”

I started rephrasing it to thank you. Like “Oh thanks for catching that! Much appreciated”

It’s a really small thing, but a “sorry” sorta puts the onus on the person to give you forgiveness. A “thanks” shows that you appreciate the effort they put it.

Giving a legitimate thank you every now and then to someone, more than just “thanks”, can actually have a huge effect

pelican_chorus t1_j8yjmik wrote

This creates these annoying lines where everyone feels morally obligated to pay for the person behind them. And it totally takes away the spirit of the gesture, because then absolutely no one gets a free drink except for the one guy at the end who doesn't want to keep the train going, so then he's like the jerk of the train *any* is the only one who ever benefitted from the whole entire thing.

So basically the guy at the front paid for the guy at the back, only really inefficiently and annoying all the workers.

Just take the first free drink in the spirit it was given. Pay it forward in some other way at some other time.

swiftdude t1_j8z0gsu wrote

Always wondered how this works in practice. How do you know how much the person behind you is going to order when you’re placing your order?

lelekfalo t1_j8z3xnj wrote

Today was National Random Acts of Kindness Day.

koidrieyez t1_j8ze91x wrote

Late one night (actually early am) my son did this at a burger joint drive-through. The girl he was with was very impressed and my son was happy until he looked in the rear view mirror and saw he just bought a cop his meal. Expected to get pulled over but fortunately didn't.

IwearBrute t1_j91m4hk wrote

I usually thank the person working, then just tip them heavy and break the chain.

chunkykitty t1_j91wkyv wrote

OP do you think they saw something somehow that suggested you were having a rotten day, or was it totally random? Either way it was awesome