Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MOGicantbewitty t1_j8jp5ol wrote

You are also aware that the very reason MassDOT was created and created with that restriction on spending was because of the Big Dig, right? How is it besides the point that the laws have been changed after the Big Dig to prevent it from happening again? Today’s conditions were created as a direct result of prior mistakes. How is it besides the point that 20 years later we still need to maintain the highway even though we got rid of the ways that the state was allowed to take that toll money and pay for other projects? It’s the entire point. The state has done a bunch of things to reverse those bad decisions and we still need to pay for the mass pike. Give me a better way to pay for it and I’ll happily share it with the regional planners that work for the state that I know and work with myself.

PabloX68 t1_j8jtrzd wrote

No, the point was that the tolls on the MA Pike were supposed to be removed once the bonds for BUILDING THE MASS PIKE were paid. That never happened and the Turnpike Authority became forever until the legislature had a moment of clarity.

One way to pay for them is fuel taxes, realizing that may not work in the future but it does now. The other way to pay for them would be figuring out how it is per mile road spending in MA is so damn high even those the roads suck. Somehow there are plenty of other states that have both better roads and much less per mile spending. Do they have less density? Maybe but that doesn't explain all of it.

I'll point to the Rt 3 expansion between 128 and NH as a great example. At about the same time, NH expanded and reworked their section north of the border. Even when both sections were quite new, it was clear NH's was better. It was graded better (no undulations) and over the years, it's remained better. I travel that road all the time and the traffic and weather are similar. It's clear MA built their part to a lower standard and this was confirmed by civil eng I knew on the project.

So forgive me if I'm not just going to go along with spending more on roads in MA without question.

MOGicantbewitty t1_j8jxcv5 wrote

Your solution is to rely on taxes that already don’t cover it and will continue to decline? You are just complaining about the past without anything better to offer. You don’t get it.

The turnpike authority is gone. The ability to shunt funds to other projects is gone. Fuel tax revenues are down. Federal funding is down. Costs are up. Your criticisms of the past and other highways that have nothing to do with the Pike are irrelevant. Provide another way to fund the maintenance or don’t bother complaining. Bitching does nothing to fix anything. If you know how to do it better, tell us. I’ll share it with the planners, DOT staff, and political representatives I work with daily. Give me a better idea and we’ll push it. Otherwise, sit down. You have nothing to offer

PabloX68 t1_j8k42rl wrote

You can share this with the planners and DOT staff.

https://www.yourlawyer.com/library/highway-system-costs-per-state/

Share with them that they're consistently in the top five (if not top 3) per mile road spending and the roads are shit. Come up with a good reason for that and I'll be more supportive of alternative funding methods.

I already gave a better idea. Build the roads to a higher standard in the first place. Put a thicker road bed down and put thicker asphalt down. It'll lead to less potholes and less need to resurface every few years. It'll also lead to less damage to vehicles. Try spending less on public sector unions and you could also go look at what NH does. They have worse weather yet much better roads for a lot less money. Oh yeah, stop paying cops for road details and get rid of that prevailing wage farce.

Yes, bitching does do something. It translates to political support.

−1

MOGicantbewitty t1_j8k47ck wrote

What is your solution to the problem now? How do you plan on funding reconstructing those highways better?

MOGicantbewitty t1_j8k4b0v wrote

By the way, that is not a reputable source for this conversation.

What is your solution? How are you going to achieve funding to reconstruct the roads?

MOGicantbewitty t1_j8k4g3d wrote

Again, what is your solution? You actually think getting rid of row details is going to pay for anything? Do you think there are hundreds of billions of dollars in route details and costs with unions in the state? That’s what it cost to rebuild these roadways

SileAnimus t1_j8m0y15 wrote

> would be figuring out how it is per mile road spending in MA is so damn high even those the roads suck

Because the asphalt is never cleaned and sealed. But to clean and seal the asphalt you need to close down each road for 2-5 days. Do you think we could pass that?

Prestigious_Bobcat29 t1_j8mho9z wrote

Fuel taxes only work if they’re high enough to cover the cost. You’re not paying for the roads you use, you’re being subsidized by the people who don’t drive