Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

modularmaniac420 t1_iuibrlx wrote

You’re not, and the problem is it discourages people from moving to Worcester. I love Worcester, it’s one of the last affordable places around, with some gemlike neighborhoods, and commuter rail to Boston. If they ever figured out how to make the railway accessible to more commuters, you would suddenly have a lot of affordable housing more accessible to Boston as a whole.

NativeMasshole t1_iuik8pu wrote

Or just figured out transportation in general. There's a lot of places, especially around downtown, where parking is a nightmare. And only getting worse when they build new complexes without adequate parking. The busses are pretty bad too, the streets aren't really pedestrian or bike friendly, so there's absolutely no good way for residents to get around.

AchillesDev t1_iujermu wrote

The housing will become less affordable unless more density is built. Worcester is already on an upswing (born there and most of my family is there) and more commuter rail access north and west and more frequent trains would really open up Worcester for families as another option, but dense housing would have to follow for it to remain an option. A lot of the quieter neighborhoods (Tatnuck, Forest Grove, etc.) would probably become less quiet. I think that’s fine, but selling residents on that will be hard.