Submitted by MarketMan123 t3_y8wydi in massachusetts

I’m from NJ, which likes to think of itself as the diner capital of the world, but I never saw a diner that was a dining car until I married a girl from Shrewsbury, MA. That’s all you guys seem to have around here.

Is it a MA thing, a Worcester thing, a everywhere, but NY/NJ thing?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

weareeverywhereee t1_it28pl2 wrote

Idk but there’s a ton of them go to Watertown,ma and do a diner tour…couple really good ones

gardenflamingo t1_it28t3k wrote

We have them in upstate NY. Don't rope us into this.

MarketMan123 OP t1_it295se wrote

Not sure where upstate you are, but I wonder if it’s either

1. You can’t find one big enough to make it rational in dense areas like north jersey and downstate ny
  2. You see them more in areas that still have the rail and manufacturing vibe

Starrion t1_it2a4dm wrote

I know of them in Lowell and Woburn

Statest16 t1_it2b42r wrote

Yes you see box car train restaurants in Massachusetts with some frequency.And not just Worcester ,I recall one in Northamton ,I think two of them in Northamton.

Smacknab t1_it2byto wrote

Idk about 'just' MA but Worcester used to have a company that made them so they're all around.

"the city was a preeminent producer of diners, which were pre-built in factories before being shipped out on trucks and trains and installed on lots up and down the east coast."

https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-news/2022/03/31/worcester-was-once-a-center-for-manufacturing-pre-built-diners#:~:text=The%20Worcester%20Lunch%20Car%20Company%20at%20one%20point%20was%20one,%3A%20horse%2Ddrawn%20lunch%20cars.

WikiSummarizerBot t1_it2c93f wrote

Fodero Dining Car Company

>The Fodero Dining Car Company (1933–1981) was a diner manufacturer located in Newark and later Bloomfield, New Jersey. It was founded by Italian immigrant Joseph Fodero, who formed the company after constructing diners with P. J. Tierney Sons and Kullman Industries. Fodero diners are known for their stainless steel exteriors and art deco appearance. Diners constructed by the company are located primarily in the Northeastern United States, especially New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.

^([ )^(F.A.Q)^( | )^(Opt Out)^( | )^(Opt Out Of Subreddit)^( | )^(GitHub)^( ] Downvote to remove | v1.5)

darksideofthemoon131 t1_it2qltz wrote

Brattleboro Vermont has a Worcester Diner Car- its on Canal Street. Fancy bistro now, but I felt like home stepping in there being from the city these cars were built in.

darksideofthemoon131 t1_it2rles wrote

Might I suggest the Broadway on Water Street(potato pancakes or chili cheese omelette) or Alteas on Park Ave (corned beef hash with poached eggs or the croque Monsiuer.) Diner food is ok in city but their are better choices....

Just look for the Pink Floyd sweatshirt and sleeve tattoo- you'll find me.

MarketMan123 OP t1_it2ry12 wrote

Hunh, maybe I'll check one of those out.

Diner or not, where would you suggest for a cheap simple breakfast?

Context: I'm actually coming from Shrewsbury and then spending my day working at the Starbucks on Rt. 9.

baitnnswitch t1_it35lu4 wrote

There's:

-Al Mac's diner in Fall River

-Somerset Diner in Somerset

-Railway Cafe in Somerset

-Wilson's Diner in Waltham

-Johnny's Roadside Diner in Hadley

-Town Diner in Watertown

wgc123 t1_it3nnif wrote

Interesting …, I was about to ask for a Watertown recommendation. Wilson’s is a traditional dining car diner, so definitely is a cool visual experience, however I’ve been underwhelmed by the food. It seems like there’s always a line, so feel free to take that either way: is it in demand or just inconvenient?

Weenie_Hut_Jr_ t1_it3qskn wrote

The Worcester Lunch Car Company manufactured and shipped diner cars all across the country. There are only a few left in operation in the city, but they’re still all over New England

XaulXan t1_it46xeq wrote

Demand, but the food at Joseph’s II, and Leo’s is way better. Depends on the season when the college kids are around too, they like to roll 16 people deep

zanixus t1_it4fdul wrote

I've lived in MA, NJ, PA and DE and they definitely seem to be more common in New England. The diners in Mid-Atlantic states seem to be big Jersey-style diners with room up front for a baked goods display.

thegalwayseoige t1_it4i3ox wrote

• Agawam in Rowley

• CGK (formerly Lunch Box )in Malden

• Rosebud in Somerville

• Kelly’s Diner in Somerville

• Buddy’s in Somerville

• South Street Diner in Boston

• Portside in Danvers

• Capitol in Lynn

• Little Depot in Worcester

And a ton more. Way too many to spend time listing. Pretty much every town on the north shore has at least one.

positivefb t1_it4lqd4 wrote

Hey I'm from Shrewsbury, maybe I know her!

MA is surprisingly insular, so there's a lot of stuff thats very MA that nobody realizes is a MA thing. I'm now realizing that these diners are mostly local to here, especially Worcester.

Shout out to Ralphs Tavern, and Kenmore Diner. Boulevard Diner can kiss my ass.

jeepjockey52 t1_it4ohv2 wrote

Actually it’s a Massachusetts and Jersey thing. The Miss Worcester is a Worcester diner, the corner lunch is a Jersey style diner. They’re 250 yards from each other.

kethera__ t1_it5i5lh wrote

bendix diner in nj is one.. I swear there are a few more in NJ too.

Slackman0000 t1_it5qcb4 wrote

I used to eat breakfast at a place called Phyllis's Diner in Everett, MA way back in the day. Now it's a tattoo shop.

I find those style of diners are fading, but there are a few of the more "historical" ones floating around. When I was a kid in the 90s, there were a lot more of them. But I guess my parents probably thought that there were less railcar style diners in the 90s as their were in the 70s.

Probably the diner that comes to mind most is Red Arrow Diner in Manchester, NH. They seem to have branded well to weather the storm of diner's closing.

wombat5003 t1_it5rmaa wrote

Even a remote compare to a Jersey diner is sacrament… I went to a Jersey diner a few years back… the menu was so large I swear I could eat every meal there for a year and still not eat every plate once in the menu… I love Jersey diners.. mass diners are a paltry comparrison… small cramped spaces that are always too small for the plates of food and coffee… limited menu. But usually you’ll get a good plate of food.. but really Just no comparison..now many years ago there used to be cafeterias that were very close to the quality of a Jersey diner… there was a famous one In Allston and I lived down the street and I basicly ate most meals there cause come on… coffee 2 eggs hash browns and toast 2 buckaroonoes… and this was in the 90’s… but alas most of the good ones have died… I forgot it’s name I think it was called kings deli

Leading-Cow-8028 t1_it6xor8 wrote

Deb’s dinner in Peabody has a special place in my heart. I drive from Somerville up there when I’m feeling adventurous.

MarketMan123 OP t1_it7e0kg wrote

I went to the Broadway this morning, didn't see you there :-( .

Seemed like a nice place, but I made the mistake of getting the chicken n' waffles. Those were no chicken n waffles like they make in Harlem....

It was a last-minute change of mind as the waitress was taking my order because I saw it listed under specialties. Honestly, I should have known better. I would definitely go back there...