Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

NoMoLerking t1_iwixljc wrote

They aren’t brights. I mean…maybe some of them are, but a lot of them aren’t.

How do I know? My wife got a new car and whenever I drive it people flash their brights at me, but my brights aren’t on. I used to flash them back to show that they weren’t on before, but that seemed dangerous so I just accept it.

threenamer t1_iwiy41k wrote

This. The new headlights just get brighter and brighter. I swear some of them are even installed incorrectly as well. It’s like they’re aimed too high.

TheJessicator t1_iwj92m5 wrote

A hassle a when people switch out their halogens for LEDs, but don't replace the housing or at the very least adjust how they're aimed. Ideally, they need a new housing for ventilation purposes.

thejester2022 t1_iwkkd0e wrote

Chevy i believe faced a lawsuit over overly bright lights in their equinox/traverse. 2018-2020 models i believe.

GrandMarquisMark t1_iwkq5gz wrote

Yep, and their solution is a little frosted sticker stuck on the lens over the hot spot. Cheesy.

brufleth t1_iwl5j7d wrote

And that's a bunch of vehicles.

I had not heard of this and I'm sure there are tons of them out there still which haven't seen any fix. I guess it is good that at least someone is being held to account, but this was just one model.

AutomationBias t1_iwj9xy3 wrote

Headlight position is checked during the annual inspection, so they should at least be correctly aligned for part of the year.

threenamer t1_iwje11t wrote

Is it though? I’m always curious just how thorough my annual inspection is.

jambonejiggawat t1_iwjuupp wrote

I have a missing headlight and I just passed inspection. I was fully prepared to pay the mechanic to install a new one, even mentioned it when I pulled in. Took him about 1 minute to slap the sticker on.

basscadence t1_iwkijzx wrote

Two times, I have had to pull my car all the way into the garage and back it out bc the guy doing the inspections couldn't drive a stick 🙃

A_Man_Who_Writes t1_iwjepzn wrote

I’ve had mechanics do an inspection in like 3 minutes so they can’t be that thorough.

threenamer t1_iwjhsvq wrote

3 min to inspect the cahhh + 2 min to switch cahhhs x $35/cahhh = $420/hour. I’d hit those numbers too.

AutomationBias t1_iwjet6k wrote

I get mine done at a small local garage, and they have a line painted on the wall to check the headlight height.

pup5581 t1_iwjoj1s wrote

Same here. I've always had headlights checked

OrangeBracelet t1_iwmpdm2 wrote

Really depends on where you go. I’ve been failed for one of my three license plate lights being out, but I’ve also been passed with a faulty O2 sensor

threenamer t1_iwmr24f wrote

Exactly. I had an old Ford Explorer that would throw a check engine light every now and then. I rolled into a wrecking yard once and asked where I should go. They pointed me in the right direction. All taxis when I got there. Long story short: I left with a sticker.

bubblehashguy t1_iwkqiiu wrote

I don't think they do that every time anymore. So many headlights are pointed too high it's ridiculous.

hanner__ t1_iwjxwh3 wrote

You are correct. The problem is actually that they’re aimed improperly.

MainSteamStopValve t1_iwlpsdx wrote

I thought my brand new SUV had incorrectly aimed lows, so I asked the dealer to re-aim them and they said that they were correct and wouldn't lower them. I didn't want these ridiculous lights, I don't know why this has become a thing. Sorry to everyone who thinks I have my brights on.

brufleth t1_iwl54nz wrote

The aim is actually supposed to be checked during inspection and aftermarket kits aren't supposed to be allowed.

A source.

I know I've had my headlight aim checked before, but I can't speak to whether that is checked appropriately everywhere and of course most states don't even do inspections so out of state cars will have whatever.

femtoinfluencer t1_iwqoxwo wrote

> It’s like they’re aimed too high.

There are loopholes in US auto regulations which have led to this. Theoretically it will be getting fixed by an act of Congress any year now. Then we just have to wait for all the vehicles which now pass code to age out of the nationwide fleet.

HammerfestNORD t1_iwj5dqo wrote

FYI: if you really wanted, you could use the adjustment screws and angle them down a little bit. I does make a big difference without losing your field of sight.

ipalush89 t1_iwm4edb wrote

This headlights are just way to bright and white now not like the old amber glow

sodabubbles1281 t1_iwm89jl wrote

Same. Just got a new SUV a few days ago. I’ve gotten people flashing at me multiple times. My brights aren’t on!! I’m sorry the typical lights are so bright but i didn’t choose it 🤷‍♀️

MikeD123999 t1_iwnentd wrote

My wife has a toyota and people always flash at us. When i asked at the dealer, they said they were adjusted corrrectly but just bright. Seemed like they get asked about it alot, they seemed to know right off the bat about it

NoMoLerking t1_iwnfb3b wrote

I had the same conversation with the dealer at the first service appointment. 🤷‍♂️

darksideofthemoon131 t1_iwjh44w wrote

Yeah. Mine are BRIGHT. I always feel bad but nothing I can do about it. I agree with OP though, I've got a stigmatism and see a twinkle with lights as is, these halogen/led lights are ridiculously blinding.

funchords t1_iwlcg9x wrote

> I always feel bad but nothing I can do about it.

This is likely not the case. Ask your mechanic to lower the direction. There are adjustment screws for this purpose if you wish to attempt it yourself.

puppydogbryn t1_iwjty9d wrote

It's a new car? Bring it back to the dealership and make some noise.

FourAM t1_iwmr4a4 wrote

Your headlights aren’t aligned. Lower them, read the manual to see how.

tomphammer t1_iwmxw5v wrote

Equally bad to me is the number of people in huge SUVs and pickups right behind me in a little sedan.

Sometimes even switching the rearview to night mode doesn’t help, it’s so distracting

endofthered01674 t1_iwj3riq wrote

Yeah, I have them on my truck, and they are just naturally bright. If I'd had the option to not have them, I wouldn't.

Panicfreak1013 t1_iwmuzs3 wrote

Same. My new Jeep Cherokee has super bright lights. People flash their brights at me all the time. So then I really turn the brights on give them a taste of their own medicine. I agree they are too bright

B-Roc- t1_iwjn7o8 wrote

I’m in the same boat. I feel bad for the oncoming drivers but love how well my auto dimming stock LEDs work.

−7