Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SwingPrestigious695 t1_iyqu4re wrote

I mean, she isn't wrong. How else do you find out if a school is safe, but to test if it is safe? I would rather a woman with no ill intentions does it than find out when someone does actual harm.

This is an accepted security practice called "red team-ing" in some circles. Typically, you get hired to do this and by someone high up the food chain who doesn't warn the target facility.

They definitely should have arrested her, because that's the response the situation should have triggered, but should not be fined or put behind bars for it.

Hopefully real changes happen.

EarnYourBoneSpurs t1_iyrd2pp wrote

This would totally be an opportunity for jury nullification. They did the crime, but they shouldn't do time.

HaElfParagon t1_iyronwx wrote

She broke into a school and harassed children, of course she should face the consequences of her actions.

−10

Agreeable_Sun3754 t1_iytcqs0 wrote

Could you clarify what you mean by harassing? That's fairly strong language, to the point you may be considered lying.

HaElfParagon t1_iytdn45 wrote

God I fucking hate people from this state sometimes. How is walking up to kids in the hallways and grilling them about security not harassment?

−6

Hanginon t1_iyu3stl wrote

" Churchill headed to the nearby Apponequet Regional High School, where she said that she wandered the halls for nearly half an hour, taking video with her phone and engaging a female student who asked who she was and why she was recording."

This is your "Broke into a school and harassed children"? Really?

Agreeable_Sun3754 t1_iyte7nj wrote

Haha, I'm form the west coast originally. So I'm very familiar with the kind of ultra exaggeration for dramatic effect we do from my where I grew up.

Moving out to Massachusetts was an eye opener, seeing how people are just don't engage with excessive dramatic affects.

Popomatik t1_iyrgpxd wrote

“Go see the recent security improvements for yourself.” NO NOT LIKE THAT!

ThreeDogs2022 t1_iyqto7p wrote

"“I think [Churchill] could have found a better way to raise awareness. Creating chaos in schools is not how you create lasting changes in policy,” said Marshman, adding that she’d like to see Churchill charged for trespassing and filming minors without parental consent."

Funny thing is, creating chaos has historically been the ONLY way policy is changed in the US.

I don't agree with her behavior. It was attention seeking, grandiose, narcissistic and obnoxious. But the bottom line is, she's RIGHT. She should not have been able to gain entry to any of those schools. And she would have been stopped at the beginning with the most absolute basic of security measures. Having her charged is trying to save face.

TzarKazm t1_iyrwfgm wrote

I wonder what the penalty is for "filming minors without parental consent"? I'll bet it's massive. Or made up, either one.

I agree with you, it's them trying to save face. It's not an easy task to secure a large building, and maybe it's not worth it to do it the right way. But let's not make some grand gestures and say "mission accomplished." Do or do not, there is no try.

PakkyT t1_iys5qi2 wrote

>"filming minors without parental consent"? I'll bet it's massive. Or made up, either one.

The latter. It is not illegal to records or photography minors, in of itself, in the USA.

somegridplayer t1_iz09mk1 wrote

>It is not illegal to records or photography minors, in of itself, in the USA.

In PUBLIC. The town or school may not have the same policy while on school property.

PakkyT t1_iz1nrml wrote

Still not illegal. They can forbid recording or photography but at best they can charge you with trespassing if you refuse to follow their rules to be on site. The actual recording and photography of minors in places where there is no expectation of privacy is not illegal and they can not do anything to make you destroy or delete your footage or photos.

wgc123 t1_iys3sz5 wrote

If the school tried to contact me about the violation of someone filming minors, you better believe I’d be more concerned about how they got in the school

MajorProblem50 t1_iyqra2p wrote

Some people are so disconnected from reality, they think that living in a neighborhood where everyone has metal bars over the windows means it's safer.

SurprisedByItAll t1_iyrdpc1 wrote

Massachusetts is all about theater. She was encouraged to see for herself, found the security sucked vs whatvwas reported, so they arrested her as part of their theater wtf.

KenOfEarth t1_iyqyuib wrote

She’s not a young white male, so the staff knew she wasn’t a threat.

jonah-rah t1_iys4wzy wrote

I remember 5-6 years ago the seniors at the two high schools in my town decided to do a ‘senior prank’ in which they switched places for the day. The seniors from my high school were all able to walk in and wander the halls for two whole periods before they were caught. Some of the students from the other school were able to get in but most were turned away at the door. These schools are relatively small with classes around only 100 students. Yet, security was lack enough that 50-100 intruders were able to enter completely unnoticed and the schools did almost nothing to address this.

[deleted] t1_iyr6a1u wrote

[deleted]

-BadCatitude- OP t1_iyrtm2a wrote

Sorry. Fairly new to Reddit and couldn't see the first time it posted. I deleted one of them.

dekimwow t1_iyrvt1c wrote

I know is a lot to ask, can I see two separate news sources please?

Edit: Genuine respectful request.

Edit2: correction, can *I see

−1

PakkyT t1_iys5xdi wrote

Just do a search and you will get a half dozen easily.

SouthShoreSerenade t1_iyqrya2 wrote

Throw the book at her. Make an example out of clowns who take the law into their own hands.

You want to make teen mental health issues even worse than they already are? Turn our schools into actual prisons. The fact is when you have a building with 20 entrances, even if 19 of them are locked, you're putting 1500 underdeveloped brains in there and you can't expect them to be smart about safety. Doors get propped open all the time. Kids open doors to people when they shouldn't all the time. There's nothing at all that can be done about that short of imprisoning everyone inside.

−30

SirCalebCrawdad t1_iyrbb4l wrote

are you a slow adult?

it's not a matter of making schools a prison. it's a matter of simple security measures at the front fucking door. did you miss that? it didn't take that woman doing this stunt to make every one aware of the fact that the hired help is usually lazy and ill-informed about what their jobs actually are.

when was the last time you saw a capable human being with ample training and qualifications acting as school security? and im not talking cops because cops are just as bad if not worse for something like this. most cops that get assigned to do this type of job are essentially tree stumps (per usual). i'm just talking about the football coach/3rd period health teacher/school security "officer".

SouthShoreSerenade t1_iyrspdw wrote

>are you a slow adult?

Are you?

>it's not a matter of making schools a prison. it's a matter of simple security measures at the front fucking door. did you miss that?

My point, which should have been obvious to anyone with a brain stem, is that typically even when the front door is locked, there are always vulnerabilities, and some clownshoes would be investigative reporter shouldn't be trying to sneak in to prove a point.

>when was the last time you saw a capable human being with ample training and qualifications acting as school security?

Uh, every day? When was the last time YOU were in a school, period? 7th grade?

−10

warlocc_ t1_iz13o8n wrote

I work in a building classified as a foreign trade zone. If any door is open for more than a few minutes, I get an alert. All doors automatically lock when closed, and have keycard entry. Any employee that needs to open a door has that permission on their ID badge. If they don't, I can manually open it from my desk, and even give them the permission myself. All exterior doors also have cameras on them.

Extremely effective without being overbearing or intrusive.

person749 t1_iyrjd4k wrote

Lots of places have alarms that go off for propped doors and opened ones. Cameras can be used too. It's pretty easy to prevent in the grand scheme of things.

I agree that it sucks. I remember being aghast when my school added security cameras almost 20 years ago now, but looking back it really wasn't a big deal.

I think angsty teenagers have always thought of school like a prison anyways.

SouthShoreSerenade t1_iyrtnbm wrote

>Lots of places have alarms that go off for propped doors and opened ones

Our doors can be propped open just so that the alarm doesn't go off (five index cards can do it).

There's security, and then there's security theater. A guy who sits in an office and watches people come through the door is theater. Cameras are real security, but they're also not proactive - they're reactive. So, let's say metal detectors - those are proactive, but they also force every individual who enters the space to be treated as a potential criminal. There's a line that needs to be drawn and my sense is that what people like Unlawful Trespass Barbie up here want is for us to cross that line in the name of safety. There are better solutions. And of course there are better experiments than "let's commit a crime to prove a point".