Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Son_of_Blorko t1_j1aes65 wrote

Honestly, it's a fucking sad state of affairs when we have to pass a law to have police dogs treated as they should.

Revolutionary-Toe789 t1_j1aq6jo wrote

I generally prefer dogs to humans. But I don’t understand why they need an ambulance to take them to the vet after a crash. In the shooting incident, sure, maybe they can do something.

Just doesn’t seem like the best use of resources. Have another cop drive him in a police car. Would be faster.

I could totally be missing some other benefit of why an ambulance make sense, but this kinda seems like a, because we could situation.

potus1001 t1_j1auphr wrote

The issue isn’t on the expense side. There’s a lot of important priorities we should invest in. The issue is that MA is still running on Prop 2 1/2, which was a mid-80’s ballot question, which limits property tax growth to 2.5%. Maybe that was sufficient in the 80’s and 90’s. However, with general expenses increasing by 10+% YOY, we are able to do less and less each year.

−3

pinko-perchik t1_j1b6gaq wrote

EMS has zero veterinary training, at best we can apply pressure to stop bleeding. No measuring vitals, no CPR, no AED, no medications, no splinting broken limbs—because that’s all different from the medical care we give humans.

You should hear the horror stories from vets whose patient’s pet-parents are human medical professionals who thought they could handle their pets’ emergency medical needs.

What a disgusting waste of resources. No amount of cop worship can turn a dog into a human. If you care so much, get an emergency veterinary transport unit. FTP

MikeD123999 t1_j1b7f21 wrote

Is that allowed under federal law? It seems a little bit unsanitary… although i am guessing ambulances probably arent too sanitary consider peoples blood and guts

RevengencerAlf t1_j1b7fm9 wrote

To be fair we're talking cops here. No matter how much they act and pretend to care about their K-9 units, any time drug dog searches are put under scrutiny they threaten to put down all the dogs when the reality is they'd all get adopted in a month, max.

And their #3 hobby aside from coercing confession and pretext stops is shooting family pets for fun and target practice.

RevengencerAlf t1_j1b7qko wrote

You may not agree with the conclusion but this is not "off topic." Any examination of money spent on policing has a relevant path to examining where we aren't spending enough money on instead.

Personally I'd rather spend money on wounded police dogs than 99% of the things that the police spend money on but I'd also rather we not have police dogs at all (they are unsafe as chase dogs and unreliable as drug sniffers) and spend that money on social programs or schools instead.

spg1611 t1_j1b81ih wrote

Because ambulance can drive fast and have someone in the back doing basic trauma? I mean really how hard is this to comprehend.

As far as the “waste of resources” goes- it’s not every day a dog gets hurt… it’s not a waste at all (especially from a financial standpoint!

Revolutionary-Toe789 t1_j1b8a48 wrote

I didn’t say his post was off topic. I was replying to the are you ok post and resting it to a previous experience.

Though I would say he went on at a least slight tangent and his reaction appears a little outsized to the situation.

−2

RevengencerAlf t1_j1b8lcx wrote

There's no reason for you to bring up "after a super crazy off topic tirade" unless you think it is those things. But I won't argue with you about what you meant. If that wasn't your intent, fair enough. But also, it's worth noting, people often use "are you ok" on both reddit and social media in general as a backdoor insult, implying that the person is crazy and not to be taken seriously.

Revolutionary-Toe789 t1_j1b9kpu wrote

What basic trauma were they doing to a dog after a car accident that he was released from a day later? Seems EMS people in here are saying they can’t really do anything as they don’t have proper equipment or training.

Cop cars drive faster.

Not sure why you put waste of resources in quotes. I did not say waste of resources. I said it doesn’t t appear to be the best use of resources. Reading does not appear to your strong suit.

Good luck.

RevengencerAlf t1_j1bbff6 wrote

Damn I wonder what gave it away that I "generally dislike" the police.

And no I don't have any teachers in my family. I know bootlicker instincts are strong but not everyone who criticizes the cops or questions whether we spend enough on education has an insider motive.

RevengencerAlf t1_j1bd76g wrote

I'm not sure what's funnier, that you're so unmoored from reality that you need someone on reddit to explain to you the reasons why they believe the police are a problem or that you're straw-manning the original post and trying to pretend you aren't.

Revolutionary-Toe789 t1_j1bee11 wrote

People have different reasons for liking or not liking things. Was curious what your reasons were.

The reality is some people don’t like the police. Some people do. Just because you don’t doesn’t mean everyone else should know why you don’t like them.

Personally I have no strong opinion either way. Have had a couple of bad experiences with cops. But mostly had good experiences. I generally feel most government workers are overpaid, so they don’t stand out to me for that. I think they have a tough job. But I 100% would be on board with changing qualified immunity.

I stand by my decision that the original post we are discussing was off topic and there was nothing wrong with posting a story about a new law being used.

Note in an earlier post (not part of this chain) I stated that It didn’t seem to be the best use of resources, but kept an open mind.

davidbyrnebigsuit t1_j1bivk7 wrote

I love dogs, but this is ridiculous. Ambulances can take upwards of 30 minutes as is.

RevengencerAlf t1_j1bm5wc wrote

We absolutely should, but we won't, because the cops have convinced the bootlickers that they need them much as they've convinced them they need military hardware.

Every time anyone even hints at laws disallowing or restricting drug dogs as cause for searches they also threaten to euthanize all the dogs.

r2d3x9 t1_j1bo90k wrote

No help for citizen’s pets.

MikeD123999 t1_j1d7vez wrote

Laws are weird, if you go to the mspca website and look up abuse, it sounds like k9 are abused animals. But technically people are animals too, so cops are abused animals too. They parts about using an animal as a lure.

−1

Hen-stepper t1_j1djiv4 wrote

It’s crazy seeing the cognitive dissonance here of cop haters who love dogs.

I guess their hatred of cops blinds their opinion because they fail to notice that these dogs are risking their lives for human beings.

Of course they deserve an ambulance if that helps. They didn’t choke on a Pop Tart… they are risking their lives for another species.

spg1611 t1_j1doem0 wrote

You really don’t need much more training that putting pressure on a bullet wound… you really need to chill with the crying. How often do you actually think dogs are going to get transported? Like once a year? I mean yeesh by the way you’re upset you’d think this was a daily call

−2

spg1611 t1_j1dor31 wrote

This might happen maybe once a year if that so the whole waste of resources thing is Bologna. And sure there’s certain injuries that they can’t help with, but a gun shot? Just hold presser while someone drives (which won’t happen in a cop car). It’s actually sad how upset you are by a really simple law that will hardly get used.

spg1611 t1_j1doywu wrote

Bro literally what are you talking about. If you’re upset about something get off the internet and go take a walk. You’re on a burner Reddit account talking shit that doesn’t even fit into the conversation.

Revolutionary-Toe789 t1_j1dxqam wrote

No idea why you are arguing against my post. I don’t think it came across as upset at all.

I also literally said I could see it for the gun shot.

Maybe you aren’t responding the correct post. Or, like I said earlier, your reading comprehension fucking blows.

Past-Adhesiveness150 t1_j1e0wux wrote

That's right. Because the dog is a cop & has a job to protect & serve, he's a pet 2nd.

& just so you know, there were a couple emergency vet offices, that would come by ambulance & transport to the hospital if you needed.

−2