Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

_peteyfourfingers_ t1_j5ushvu wrote

I believe it. It’s like that place is built on top of pure evil. I hate it there.

Tacoman404 t1_j5wk2w9 wrote

It’s crazy due to the old indurstries there property values can be kind of low but they have really good municipal services including cheap symmetrical gigabit broadband.

Besides houses being really close to the street in the central parts it is home to 2 specific dangerous places to be a pedestrian, Chicopee Center, and the Walmart parking lot.

They’re also both right off of 391 and the pike.

No-Go-Rt128 t1_j6ai3o5 wrote

Sounds like a fucking dumpster lmao

Fucking crazy that people live in those remote wastelands

Shithole nation

Senior-Step9581 t1_j63mucl wrote

Would you please explain for people who have never heard of Chicopee until now? Genuinely curious

UncleCustard t1_j5vj4fz wrote

And that Walmart has had more 911 calls to it than any Walmart in the world.

Banea-Vaedr t1_j5yta4d wrote

That's what happens when you're stuck between Springfiekd and Holyoke.

Foxcecil t1_j5vrpf5 wrote

It's nice to see my hometown on the news every now and then.

frankybling t1_j5usfo0 wrote

I feel like the words “traffic violence” is meant to (probably correctly) insight some reaction. On the face these were crashes that killed people violently… but saying “traffic violence” implies that these were intentional events… you can make the argument that the hit and run and the DUI deaths were intentional but that accounts for half. People need to pay attention while driving and since we’re in a world where automobiles and trucks exist they need to pay attention while walking and biking too. I walk a lot in my small neighborhood and people drive like idiots. If the intent is to write in a way to anger people into paying attention there might be a better way to convey the message I guess thats my point. I don’t believe in traffic accidents but I think calling it traffic violence is too extreme. Again just my opinion.

Divic0 t1_j5vgly9 wrote

While I agree that the headline is certainly attention grabbing - I do not care for the reasons about distracted driving. You can be drunk, high, texting, speeding, jacking off, doesn’t matter. The result, a dead pedestrian, is still the same. We should be punishing every single distracted driver the same way.

AnyRound5042 t1_j5w0bwz wrote

Nah. By getting bring the wheel you are taking responsibility in the same way that putting your finger on the trigger of a gun you are taking responsibility. If you brought a gun into a crowded space closed your eyes and just started popping off you wouldn't call it a 'gun accident' why should we kill it a car accident?

TotalRuler1 t1_j5vnu0v wrote

I'd drive into a telephone pole too if I couldn't get out of there.

BatmanOnMars t1_j5wcq21 wrote

The stories that come out of that town are wild, like the school superintendent who blackmailed a cop.

They have a very nice library though.

johnjamesgarrett t1_j5zef39 wrote

They were also having an affair prior to that I think. When I lived there a mayoral candidate (who had been mayor before) shoved a cop at a polling station during election day.

cokane_88 t1_j5w4u7u wrote

Holyoke drivers suck too

Lazy_Football_511 t1_j5we9h7 wrote

Huh. Brockton is where I feel the most unsafe as a pedestrian over any other place I have been. It is strange how people seem more safe impulsively stepping into the street than those using crosswalks with walk signals.

nocolon t1_j5wmmvv wrote

Ironically you're probably more safe as a pedestrian in Brockton given that the pedestrians there are more likely to just randomly walk into the middle of the road with no regard for traffic or the placement of crosswalks. I feel more nervous as a driver in Brockton assuming that someone is going to just suddenly decide "I need to be on that side of the road now."

Source: Lived in Brockton for 20 years.

Lazy_Football_511 t1_j5wtjqu wrote

Uh...I think not. I think Brockton drivers are so used to people jaywalking their minds can not comprehend a pedestrian on a crosswalk so it does not register with them. Then again, most Brockton drivers see a crosswalk at an intersection as the spot to stop with their front seat between the two lines.

mini4x t1_j5wjkqn wrote

Have you ever walked around Chicopee?

Lazy_Football_511 t1_j5wwmmo wrote

Honestly, no. I used to drive for a living and I have been all over the eastern seaboard so I am pretty sure I have driven through there at least once or twice.

I think the closest to there that I have spent any time at was a restaurant near I-291 but that was years ago and most likely East Springfield. Cajun food, huge servings. Last time through they said they were calling it quits.

notmyrealname17 t1_j5wlwo7 wrote

Chicopee is weird, I lived there for 3 years and while everything about my experience there was pretty solid something about the town always just felt a little off. That city also has some of the most poorly planned intersections ever, my old house was 1.8 miles from the pike exit and it took 10-15 minutes every time because of endless timed lights with no sensors.

mollymcbbbbbb t1_j5ymntg wrote

When driving out to the Berkshires on the pike I can always tell when I’m passing through the Chicopee area just by how erratic the drivers get.

Banea-Vaedr t1_j5ytcus wrote

That's what happens when you're stuck between Holyoke and Springfield

ItsHATTM t1_j67zrhl wrote

I’m surprised Quincy doesn’t have that record, can’t believe the way people fly through crosswalks with people crossing.

rufknkidingme t1_j5x2sz6 wrote

If you don't want to get run over in Chicopee keep your ass off the sidewalks.

pup5581 t1_j5xb8yh wrote

My good college friends live in Western MA. When we would go visit them they would even say...Chicopee is a dump and never go there.