Submitted by FuckStalkers2ndAcc t3_127gnl0 in movies

I am not a movie expert I rarely watch movies sometimes I randomly watch a movie at night but one movie that I just absolutely love is The batman 2022, came out 1 day before my birthday and I have rewatched it already...the movie is perfect in my opinion but I am not trying to argue if the movie is perfect I just really really love it.

Anyways does anyone here know any movies that have sort of a similar vibe to that movie that you recommend? It doesn't have to be Superhero related but if it is I would really prefer it to be a Batman movie because it fits his character.

In general if anyone knows of Batman movies similar or not to the movie I mentioned I would love some suggestions thanks.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

suriyuki t1_jee1jju wrote

Seven with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman. Go in blind if you've never seen it.

Edit: Movie is a hard R so keep that in mind if you do.

OfferOk8555 t1_jee2avn wrote

Memories Of Murder

Blade Runner

Blue Velvet

Chinatown

Gone Girl

At least these are some good neo-noires. That might be the vibe you’re responding too.

JacobiJacobi t1_jee3z7i wrote

Watchmen, although it has a much more nihilistic tone overall

Dottsterisk t1_jee4nfi wrote

If you haven’t seen David Fincher’s filmography, you’re in for a treat.

Reeves was ripping off Fincher hardcore for The Batman, especially Seven and Zodiac.

[deleted] t1_jee4zmz wrote

Joker , seven , Bladerunner 2 , Taxi driver , drive etc have that gritty raw tone

G_Liddell t1_jee5o2q wrote

Black Rain has that stylized neo-noir vibe

[deleted] t1_jee6ld8 wrote

I think The Batman is a mix of Unbreakable, Chinatown, and Taxi Driver.

YouShallWearNoPants t1_jee6zjq wrote

"Ripping off hardcore" is a very ignorant way to describe those two movies. Makes you look clueless in the general context of art.

He paid homage to those kind of movies. It was explicitly his goal to make a detective movie. Also, this will probably shock you, but David Fincher didn't invent this genre.

−4

twist-visuals t1_jee7f73 wrote

David Fincher crime investigation films like Se7en, Zodiac, and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Also Blade Runner and its sequel. Add in Dark City.

djprojexion t1_jee8xsa wrote

In terms of atmosphere it made me think of The Crow 100%

NK_1989 t1_jee9fej wrote

If you haven’t watched Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Trilogy start there. Those movies are heavily influenced by the works of Michael Mann, specifically Heat, which is a phenomenal film but has a different vibe from The Batman, although I still highly recommend watching it as a crime thriller.

In a somewhat funny coincidence, The Batman takes a lot of visual cues from another Michael Mann film, Manhunter, which I highly recommend because it has an almost identical aesthetic and vibe to The Batman.

The way Reeves structured the film is very interesting; each act could be seen as representative of a different era in action films. The opening has direct references to John Boorman’s Point Blank with Lee Marvin, but also draws parallels to films like The Driver or Le Samurai. The second act has parallels to 80’s and 90’s crime thrillers like Manhunter, Cobra, and Silence of the Lambs. The last act goes full disaster mode, striking visuals similar to the Schumacher era Batman films or late era De Palma, stuff like Batman Forever and Snake Eyes.

The Batman was one of my favorites of last year, as a hardcore movie nerd I found the sheer amount of references downright fascinating. Say what you will about Matt Reeves but the man clearly loves movies and has done his homework.

Agamemnon420XD t1_jeebmy4 wrote

Idk if you’ve seen the Michael Keaton Batman movies but I highly recommend them.

They’re not as realistic as The Batman, but they’ve got pretty much the same vibe, and actually The Batman has the same characters as Batman Returns. Batman Returns is way ‘artsier’ than The Batman, but it’s also extremely dark, and the villains (especially The Penguin) are very vivid.

mrmechsale t1_jef6szv wrote

Batman Mask of the Phantasm and the entire animated series is joy.

VravoBince t1_jefd0ad wrote

Just like in Seven, the story takes place in a week with a murderer sending a message by killing someone everyday. Also IIRC both movies start and end with a monologue.

Also, didn't they officially say it's inspired by Seven and Zodiac?