Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Repulsive-Feature-33 t1_je3tcnl wrote

Hold up hold up hold up. You thought a movie called Buffy the Vampire Slayer, about a high school girl killing vampires, was going to be a little more serious than it was? That’s on you 😂

Sword_Thain t1_je3uz88 wrote

The TV series is pretty serious most of the time.

Repulsive-Feature-33 t1_je3vfgu wrote

The series is a teen drama. Did you not see the poster lol, or the fact that it’s labeled a horror/comedy. Just wild to think that was going to be serious at all lol

BornIn1142 t1_je4dx6e wrote

Are you just going by descriptions without actually having seen it? It balances comedy and drama. Sometimes they overlap, sometimes they don't. There's an attempted rape scene that's played very straight, there's a very realistic death that's neither horror nor comedy, the main character struggles with PTSD...

TheShadyGuy t1_je583hu wrote

But a few episodes before the rape Buffy is accidentally made invisible and uses the opportunity for shenanigans. The really heavy parts seem to be a tad out of place for the level of camp that is prevalent through most of the series. I guess that changes when the show jumped to another network and becomes more uneven. Watching the series again now and am almost finished with s6.

BornIn1142 t1_je5b4c3 wrote

Even season 1 included material like Buffy being confronted with her impending demise and breaking down. There's no punchline there. The presence of comedy doesn't mean that a work can't include serious bits, which is why that one guy's bafflement that anyone would have liked some in the movie was so cringey.

TheShadyGuy t1_je5i9xh wrote

I said "camp" not comedy.

BornIn1142 t1_je5jc1a wrote

Sorry, I will edit my previous comment to replace the word "comedy" with "camp" at a later point; I don't have the time for that just now.