Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

zak55 OP t1_je3k47j wrote

I unfortunately decided to watch it at 28 and was more perplexed by...whatever the actor was going for. I thought the movie was going to be a little more serious and...that was not what I got with that guy.

−27

Repulsive-Feature-33 t1_je3tcnl wrote

Hold up hold up hold up. You thought a movie called Buffy the Vampire Slayer, about a high school girl killing vampires, was going to be a little more serious than it was? That’s on you 😂

Sword_Thain t1_je3uz88 wrote

The TV series is pretty serious most of the time.

Repulsive-Feature-33 t1_je3vfgu wrote

The series is a teen drama. Did you not see the poster lol, or the fact that it’s labeled a horror/comedy. Just wild to think that was going to be serious at all lol

BornIn1142 t1_je4dx6e wrote

Are you just going by descriptions without actually having seen it? It balances comedy and drama. Sometimes they overlap, sometimes they don't. There's an attempted rape scene that's played very straight, there's a very realistic death that's neither horror nor comedy, the main character struggles with PTSD...

TheShadyGuy t1_je583hu wrote

But a few episodes before the rape Buffy is accidentally made invisible and uses the opportunity for shenanigans. The really heavy parts seem to be a tad out of place for the level of camp that is prevalent through most of the series. I guess that changes when the show jumped to another network and becomes more uneven. Watching the series again now and am almost finished with s6.

BornIn1142 t1_je5b4c3 wrote

Even season 1 included material like Buffy being confronted with her impending demise and breaking down. There's no punchline there. The presence of comedy doesn't mean that a work can't include serious bits, which is why that one guy's bafflement that anyone would have liked some in the movie was so cringey.

TheShadyGuy t1_je5i9xh wrote

I said "camp" not comedy.

BornIn1142 t1_je5jc1a wrote

Sorry, I will edit my previous comment to replace the word "comedy" with "camp" at a later point; I don't have the time for that just now.

mr_Papini t1_je3n32b wrote

And that vampire is none other than Pee-wee Herman

cheffartsonurfood t1_je52y8q wrote

You thought a movie called Buffy the Vampire Slayer was going to be a serious movie? He was dragging it out for comedic purposes.

BrockHard253 t1_je3n640 wrote

I think he was just trying to forget about his little romp at the movie theater.

[deleted] t1_je3lr8t wrote

I refuse to watch it as an adult as I’m sure I won’t love it nearly as much.

−2

Duel_Option t1_je3sbv2 wrote

Watched it last month with my wife…laughed my ass off.

Cmon Pike, let me in…I’m hungry.

I can’t Billy! YOURE FLOATING!

King_Buliwyf t1_je3nikq wrote

As someone who is: an adult, and a serious fan of the series; the movie is still great fun. OP is being a stick in the mud.

zak55 OP t1_je3lwml wrote

Eh, you might still find it funny. I might have if I wasn't so perplexed the entire time.

−14

Kramereng t1_je3q58i wrote

You don't know who Pee-Wee Herman (Paul Reubens) is? That wasn't just some no name cameo.

Black_Shape t1_je4rg87 wrote

If a role depends on you knowing who an actor is and what they've done before, it's a bad role.

−7

Kramereng t1_je55za2 wrote

In most scenarios, sure. But it in a comedy like Buffy, having a comedic cameo role by a well-known actor - in this case, a famous children's TV host - adds a lot more humor. Similarly, Tom Cruise's role in Tropic Thunder or Liam Neeson's cameo in Life's Too Short we're integral to the jokes.

[deleted] t1_je43obj wrote

Buffy was never intended to be serious, did you watch the tv series? It's a parody of many things.

I am not meaning it doesn't have any piece of drama or meaning. It totally does. Reviewed many ideas about life, love, mortality, etc.

i'm saying that the general tone of the series is comedy, it's not an all action badass movie (or is it?). That's what I meant.

Edit: clarity.

−8

sayterdarkwynd t1_je4po1p wrote

Yes, numerous times. Love the Buffyverse. Saying it was never serious is removing some of the best moments of the show, ones still critically lauded for how they tackled serious issues.

The Body is a prime example of a serious episode. There were quite a few others. It wasn't all campy fun.

Black_Shape t1_je4rirl wrote

Buffy was often serious, did you watch the TV series?

dan1101 t1_je57wq8 wrote

They went through entire depressing seasons IIRC.