Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

secretmadscientist t1_iyd1239 wrote

Noticed this the other night. TV always had a few popular shows about working class folks - now we have shows like Succession, White Lotus, House of Dragon, etc, all focusing on elite people and their lives. Where have the Al Bundy's, The Cheers, Malcolm in the Middle and Everyone Hates Chris gone?

Bayonethics t1_iyd8ven wrote

One that's really good is Derry Girls. All the main characters are straight up Northern Irish working class (except for one, who's English working class)

OhioStateGuy t1_iydgkl2 wrote

My wife got me to watch derry girls with her and it is so good. Sister Michael cracks me up every time she’s on screen.

armchairmegalomaniac t1_iye5x4z wrote

You're not alone, Martin Scorsese just told an interviewer that he watches Derry Girls and loves Sister Michael.

Bayonethics t1_iydleg7 wrote

Sister George Michael is great, though my personal favorite is Colm

chrissesky13 t1_iydq5vl wrote

I love all of the characters but the adults are so well written!! I cried through the last episodes of the final season.

I love Erin's parents, Michelle's mom and love love love Colm. We quote him the most in passing at home. "So I says to myself, says I," Sister Michael is also an absolute treasure.

MulciberTenebras t1_iyd5c10 wrote

This started in the early 70s. They called it the "rural purge".

Shows with rural/country settings (or even had a tree on set, as actor Pat Buttram described it) were all immediately cancelled and replaced with city-focused sitcoms/dramas.

The Andy Griffith Show, The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Lassie, Petticoat Junction, Hogan's Heroes, The Virginian, The High Chaparral, Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C, Ed Sullivan, My Three Sons, Mayberry RFD, Jackie Gleason, Red Skelton, Hee Haw... most were still hit shows, but they all got cancelled so as to eliminate the older demographic and skew more towards the lucrative younger audiences.

Venture_compound t1_iyd7lpp wrote

One man is responsible for this and he's a complete tyrant at the BBC. Mews Frumpty. Thank God he was fired in the early 2000s for abuse of power.

SmoreOfBabylon t1_iye8a19 wrote

The post-rural purge shift to shows with urban settings wasn't mutually exclusive with blue collar shows, though. Sitcoms like All In the Family, Sanford & Son, MASH, Laverne & Shirley, Welcome Back Kotter, Good Times, and Taxi were all blue collar shows that launched and flourished in the '70s, for example. In fact, sitcoms in general started to get edgier and more topical during that decade - All in the Family was fairly controversial in its time, especially to viewers who had become accustomed to the relatively tame and saccharine family comedies of the '50s and '60s.

[deleted] t1_iydsw4y wrote

And nowadays, there’s nothing the new young generation loves more than the allure of millionaire grandeur.

Dantheking94 t1_iyegtly wrote

I was an 11 year old kid that literally loved LOVED Green Acres. Used to have me laughing until tears came out of my eyes.

Goat_Wizard_Doom_666 t1_iyd6mu8 wrote

They're still there:
Kevin can Fu*ck Himself

The Bear

Shameless

Superstore

Kim's Convenience

and um..... hmm... there have to be more, I swear...

DMPunk t1_iydbnpf wrote

Shameless, Superstore, and Kim's Convenience are all over

Goat_Wizard_Doom_666 t1_iydo85h wrote

What's your point? They still exist in the same way that 'Malcom in the Middle' and 'Cheers' exist and they are about the working class struggle. They are/were popular in the same way OP is lamenting that does not exist anymore.

−25

Jimmni t1_iye4y5u wrote

His point was there aren’t the same kind of shows on air now. Of course they still exist. Nobody went and scrubbed them from existence.

I don’t know if he’s right, but you entirely misunderstood his point.

BobTheGC t1_iydktsk wrote

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Not the most earnest story of class struggle but one nonetheless.

ThatJoeyFella t1_iyeoewy wrote

Ever since the recession hit, waves of new people are suddenly broke. These people have no idea how to live without money. They're what's called "new poor". We're "old poor".

Alive_Ice7937 t1_iyeqi35 wrote

"This pool is the bootstraps that's going to lift us up into the middle class!"

50StatePiss t1_iydfmfl wrote

The Simpsons, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, American Dad, South Park, Big Mouth

wballard8 t1_iydsiap wrote

Interesting that they’re all cartoons, but I can’t draw a greater conclusion or theory about that

Riderz__of_Brohan t1_iydvfcv wrote

The conclusion is that the Simpsons was so successful and influential it spawned an entire genre

Riderz__of_Brohan t1_iydvd32 wrote

Ended many years ago but King of Queens fits this prototype too if we’re talking about shows past the 80s and 90s

JC-Ice t1_iyecwxp wrote

Abbott Elementary.

All the Law & Order and Chicago, and 911 shows.

secretmadscientist t1_iyd6y4a wrote

How is Kevin Can F*ck Himself?

Riderz__of_Brohan t1_iydv366 wrote

It feels like it’s 15 years too late, the trope of “schlubby husband hot wife” doesn’t really exist in sitcoms anymore

monchota t1_iydduf4 wrote

They are all unrelatable to most people or comedy that is just about dumb people.

Aberdolf-Linkler t1_iydddol wrote

Would Shameless really count as working class drama, I thought the focus was more that they were poor/low income. Maybe splitting hairs.

−4

Remote-Ad-2686 t1_iyd3btx wrote

Welcome back Kotter , Archie Bunker, Good Times , Alice!!!!

[deleted] t1_iydmqen wrote

[deleted]

−5

Remote-Ad-2686 t1_iydvmkp wrote

At the end of the day , it’s about money and trends. They are just following the money. In today’s culture, working class is not what most want. They want that Kardashian lifestyle. No one wants to hear about the struggles of a bricklayer or the rise of a cement finisher. IMO

elinordash t1_iyekk32 wrote

It clearly isn't just about money and trends. You can't watch films or TV shows that don't exist. Oscarssowhite was only six years ago and there have been successful diverse films made because of that Twitter campaign. I think the audience is open to more economically diverse stories, but they aren't the ones executives chose to produce.

Ikea_desklamp t1_iyd7apr wrote

People would rather fantasize about being rich and famous.

FakkoPrime t1_iyd92k3 wrote

Most of the shows involving “elite” people are primarily focused on their dysfunction (ie. In-fighting, addictions, moral failings, etc).

Like much of reality tv it’s about schadenfreude not envy.

trevaughntaiga t1_iydmii5 wrote

Most shows involving people are primarily focused on their dysfunction. Conflict is the basis of the Western narrative tradition. Al Bundy, Doug Hefferman and Walter White aren't great people.

The difference is the elites have money so existential threats come from things like cheating (loss of a partner), plagiarism (loss of career) etc. A widow killed her husband and gain full control over his assets rather than having to sell weed because he died of an heart attack.

FakkoPrime t1_iydnf25 wrote

Yes, people love drama and comedy and both of those are largely borne on the back of struggle.

Those same threats you cite for elites is the same for working class and middle class.

−2

shampoobottle111 t1_iydy8to wrote

Yeah except the working class wife whose husband died can’t just fall back on her wealth.

FakkoPrime t1_iye85j7 wrote

True, but economics usually isn’t the core of the struggle for even working class shows.

It’s more prevalent in some (eg. Roseanne, Frayed), but it’s more dissatisfaction with their job, their personal relationships and their accomplishments.

Breaking Bad starts off as a financial stop gap which leads into an exposé into the underlying resentment Walter White felt at failed relationships and lack of recognition. It was about respect not the money. That’s the same for The Crown or Succession or House of the Dragon.

Riderz__of_Brohan t1_iydvo2u wrote

Most of the shows about rich people are just repurposed palace intrigue which has been a staple of entertainment for centuries

nylockian t1_iyd7poz wrote

They used to do that when most shows were blue collar also.

the_buckman_bandit t1_iydiles wrote

Succession and White Lotus do not glorify the wealthy, quite the opposite

Andor is popular and is about a regular guy taking on the Empire

Toggiz t1_iyf4xrf wrote

Abbot Elementary, Severance, half of Andor, The Patient, Atlanta, Blockbuster, It’s Always Sunny? Definitely the minority of shows but not none.

kimbosdurag t1_iydwil7 wrote

There are corny family sitcoms on networks like abc and cbs I'm sure. They just aren't things that appeal to the kinds of people who talk about tv shows online. The only sitcom I can think of that is on a network that people seem to respect online is Abbott elementary, but there are lots of others out there they just don't get talked about because they are cliche corny sitcoms.

farmerarmor t1_iydu0hk wrote

Don’t forget Yellowstone. Everybody cheering for the billionaire rancher that owns 15% of Montana. Which is ridiculous. Because most small farmers absolutely hate big farmers.

skccsk t1_iydmek5 wrote

You named a bunch of premium cable/streaming shows in the first group, then exclusively broadcast shows in the second group.

Try checking the broadcast listings.

raversgonewild t1_iydjvxo wrote

Andor

sixo8zex t1_iyf6p0r wrote

You might as well throw the expanse in there too. But they are sci-fi… not tv shows about the modern working class.

druu222 t1_iyf9naq wrote

Over Thanksgiving, I saw the classic turkey drop scene from WKRP in Cincinnati... not New York City, not Los Angeles. Are there any sitcom out there now that take place outside of NY-LA?

PJTikoko t1_iyeadiv wrote

I think it’s because their where so many shows like that in the past it sort of got to played out.

It’ll comeback around after those shows get played out.

monchota t1_iyddpoz wrote

Only the elites are making media and they are reall disconnected.

−2

Fluid-Arm9366 t1_iydiyiw wrote

> House of the Dragon, Succession, White Lotus

vs

> Everbody Hates Chris, Married With Children, Cheers

I love how even you subconsciously acknowledge how shit the "blue collar" tv shows were that you can't even remember their correct names and called one of them Al Bundy's.

Jesus I will never understand this identity politics bullshit. House of the Dragon is a drama and far superior to Everybody Hates Chris, they should not be in the same conversation.

If all the blue collar shows have are dopey feel good comedies from the 80s and 90s then of course it's a good thing they are gone.

−15

secretmadscientist t1_iydjv9q wrote

You're a nit-picky cunt, aren't ya?

Fluid-Arm9366 t1_iydlcqt wrote

Imagine thinking that knowing the name of the show you are bemoaning is no longer around is nitpicking.

Maybe your ilk should do a modicum of research before bleating on about this show or that.

−8

BristolShambler t1_iycvn0a wrote

There’s a proud history of “kitchen sink” drama in British cinema, but by the 90s this strand of storytelling was a bit derided by younger filmmakers as dour and un-entertaining.

Danny Boyle really kicked against this tradition and that was one of the reasons why his early films felt so fresh and dynamic. Essentially kitchen sink dramas just fell out of fashion in the 90s.

drobbie t1_iydsn10 wrote

pretty much everything shane meadows has ever made is kitchen sink drama , starting in the late 90s and continuing through to now

haribobosses t1_iydw4zr wrote

Mike Leigh around the same time was making pretty popular gritty working class dramas though. What about Ken Loach?

BristolShambler t1_iyegxoh wrote

Leigh & Loach were making critically lauded work in the 90s, but it wasn’t really popular. Before Boyle in particular came onto the scene British films were stereotyped as being all like Kes and Cathy Come Home.

They’ve both seen a bit of a resurgence in popularity- partly because of our current government - but for a while that style of filmmaking was seen as just deeply uncool

Jaggedmallard26 t1_iyepbnb wrote

I would barely say Ken Loach is seeing a resurgence in popularity. His last few films are popular among journalists and independent cinema types but they haven't broken remotely into the British mainstream. Most Brits who know of him will have heard of him through articles but not actually watched his films.

RephRayne t1_iye5h9s wrote

To expand upon a point already made here.
In the UK, it used to be that "resting" actors could apply for Social Security which allowed them to not work for periods of time. This meant that actors didn't need external sources of money in order to pursue their chosen line of work.
The same applied to other forms of entertainment work, indeed the band UB40 is named after an unemployment form as all the performers were currently unemployed when the band formed.

The changing of the rules when it came to applying for Social Security meant that there were long gaps between becoming unemployed and being allowed to claim money. This stopped a lot of young working class people from pursuing the arts and shifted the demographic heavily towards those with parents able to afford to subsidise them.

Fantastic_Deer_3772 t1_iyddqpy wrote

It's very hard to make a career in the arts now unless you have money to live off for the first few years

Middle and upper class creatives make for middle and upper class stories

Bill5GMasterGates t1_iyebpeg wrote

Which is why Stephen Graham is the best thing to happen to British acting in recent years. That guy knows how to tell a working class story

sixo8zex t1_iyfc7cc wrote

His character Combo in the this is England series was fantastic. And Mr. Graham made him real. I’m not ashamed to admit I teared up at the end of his story.

SirDrexl t1_iyd7q8q wrote

1997 was also the year when The Full Monty was released. That was a different kind of film about working-class folks.

WinterWindWhip t1_iycu58e wrote

Films get greenlit by rich dudes, and rich dudes have a unified narrative: the Friedman Doctrine. Aka nobody except shareholders matter. It's a system of morality if you can believe it.

Accomplished_Aim_607 t1_iyd4je3 wrote

Are you suggesting films in the past weren't greenlit by rich dudes?

WinterWindWhip t1_iyd5dro wrote

When did Friedman do the thing? 72 I think it was. WWII was a near death experience for the world that led to an era of egalitarianism for a time, but the greedy never give up.

−5

Brittainicus t1_iydgv2i wrote

Maybe suggesting the dude in the past was just less rich. Or the rich dude didn't do it but someone normal did it for him but still took all credit.

−7

Iama_traitor t1_iyd88ws wrote

It's essentially saying "Let the market decide", which isn't the worst idea considering the computational power of markets. Just look at LGBT/racial representation in media. That's a decision made by the market. Me too movement also ushered in quite a bit of change with pressure from the market. It's not morality by fiat but by the distributed intelligence of the market.

−8

WinterWindWhip t1_iyda3zr wrote

The market has no humanity but we trust it to establish the worth of humans. It's a giant category error that explains the nonsense we feel all around us. People talk about this being the worst timeline, the lack of humanity is why it is.

lizzietnz t1_iyd1n3b wrote

Ken Loach retired?

boost_fae_bams t1_iyd76nw wrote

I think it's indicative of the state of the Labour party today and their attitude towards the British working class that they expelled Ken Loach from the party for daring to speak out against Starmer's purge.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/sep/28/democracy-keir-starmer-labour-left-ken-loach

Mit3210 t1_iydmt2o wrote

Why didn't he mention that he got kicked out for repeatedly trying to undermine/stop investigations into anti-Semitism within the party?

−6

AlabastorRetard t1_iyds1la wrote

Because the investigation was bullshit and everyone knew it?

Mit3210 t1_iydtuiy wrote

>The Labour Party has been served with an unlawful act notice after an investigation into antisemitism by the Equality and Human Rights Commission found it responsible for unlawful acts of harassment and discrimination.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/our-work/news/investigation-antisemitism-labour-party-finds-unlawful-acts-discrimination-and

Robo_Ross t1_iyegxwq wrote

If you read the article and follow up on the comments they are referring to I don't think the assessment holds water. The claims are:

1. political interference in antisemitism complaints
  2. failure to provide adequate training to those handling antisemitism complaints
  3. harassment

The first is that they didn't take the claims of anti-semitism seriously in regards to Corbin due to his anti-israel stance. Which... is a valid political stance. Israel is an apartheid state, it is valid to critique it.

The second assumes that the first is an issue. i.e. Corbin was not given adequate material after his statement. That assumes the first issue is indeed an issue.

The third, the "harassment" by Ken Livingston and Pam Brodly were is defense of Corbin's stance. Ken incidence of harassment was the statement: "It’s not anti-Semitic to hate the Jews of Israel". Which, yeah, hard to justify. I understand the thought behind it as the voting block that that imposes the apartheid laws and militarized violence is almost entirely Jewish but it leaves out the Jewish population that fights against those things. That said, to then paint the entire labour party with the brush on anti-semetism is too far and protects zionist and apartheid policies.

sixo8zex t1_iyfb56x wrote

Hey man calling out Israel as an apharteid state is antisemitism. How you are supposed to have any kind of dialog about what the Israelis are doing in the West Bank without it being branded as antisemitism is beyond me. Calling out say China for its human rights abuses doesn’t brand one a sinophobe nor does calling out Qatar for their use of slave labour brand one anti Arab. This seems to be unique to Israel. And given the history of persecution against the Jews and let’s face it there is at least a bit of anti Jewish racism out there, for a politician to say anything about Israel it is political suicide. Why we can separate the actions of a state from the actions of a people in pretty much every other circumstance is beyond me. I agree with your assessment. I’m not mad for Jeremy Corbin or any of the current crop of UK politicians, but I agree his anti Israel stance has merit. We had similar problems in Ireland for like…800 years. And we only got peace when we agreed to basically share the north and treat both sides with dignity and respect. Both catholic and Protestant voices are heard now and we have peace. My mother was left permanently deaf when her office was bombed. Nothing like that has happened in 20 years. Children are being born to parents who have only known peace. And all this because we could talk about it. Until dialog can be had with Israel without the antisemite flag being waved both they and Palestine are doomed to this shit.

haribobosses t1_iydw85c wrote

Here here!

−3

palimpcest t1_iye72ry wrote

Where where‽

haribobosses t1_iyeb79g wrote

Is it hear hear? Gotta admit I’ve never written it out

palimpcest t1_iyee30x wrote

Yeah it's "hear hear" and it's pretty commonly misspelled. I was just being dumb, but at least you know now.

uncultured_swine2099 t1_iyd0lqn wrote

Man, Nil By Mouth is depressing. Its very good, but depressing. Gary Oldman should direct more, theres some powerful emotions to that movie.

MotuekaAFC t1_iyf0tg2 wrote

Saw it at the BFI as part of the Gary Oldman season.

'For my father'

Utterly brutal film.

TheStabbyBrit t1_iyd8oqa wrote

Simple: the kind of people who pay to have films and TV shows funded wish the British working class didn't exist.

trolleyblue t1_iyd3n3d wrote

Tyrannosaur is a pretty fucking bleak British working class film from not long ago.

Scioptic- t1_iydiecg wrote

>from not long ago.

I hate to break this to you, because the quick passage of time can be a shock to some, but that was 11 years ago!

sixo8zex t1_iyfbtey wrote

Holy shit. 11 years… I was 30 and it seems like last week when I went into work and told the guys to watch that!

ohnononono14 t1_iyd2h3u wrote

Belfast was great but no one went to see it😔

UsecMyNuts t1_iydbqcs wrote

Notice how the article completely ignores the massive surge of tv shows in the UK centered around blue collar working class people.

Of course the article doesn’t mention this because the author is only upset that he can’t go to the cinema and see people struggle, and if it isn’t in the cinema then it doesn’t exist.

Brittainicus t1_iydheww wrote

Was thinking the same thing only British media I've watched recently besides comedy shows have all revolved around normal people. I suspect this is more the writer lives in an elitist bubble.

SalsaBueno t1_iyd3c8k wrote

The middle class got wiped the fuck out and them that profited off that don’t want us to remember how good it’s supposed to be.

my_main_I_promise t1_iydco7n wrote

Recognizing the Bundys having a mortgage on a single income retail service job might make the peasants uppity

sixo8zex t1_iyfcmnq wrote

And Homer Simpson could pay a mortgage on a 4 bedroom house on a single salary. With 2 cars lol. I loved how in the early Simpsons they did show how hard it was financially for them. It really helped keep the show grounded and somewhat relatable.

_DeanRiding t1_iydpsmz wrote

Couple of things going on here.

First, I think the author is completely ignoring what happens on the TV screen, given most of our most popular shows are about completely normal people.

Secondly, there has been a massive cultural shift it what it means to be "working class" these days. There aren't any coal mines anymore. We've transitioned from an industrial to an extremely 'service' based economy, so anyone who would have been working in mines, mills, or other production is now working on the till at Tesco or in a call centre.

A smaller part of this is probably also how budgets for British film were smaller back then. For 30 or 40 years we had the Carry On films being made on shoestring budgets and they were incredibly popular, which meant more of them obviously got made (movie industry largely caters to demand, they don't create it). Nowadays, especially with globalisation as well, we have huge corporations like Film 4 leading the charge in the film industry with things like The Favourite or The Father and co-producing the likes of 12 Years a Slave, 127 Hours, and Slumdog Millionaire instead. Much higher (although still incredibly small by Hollywood standards) budgets with more scope for different and interesting stories.

I think tied to that point somewhat is how Britain in general simply doesn't have the clout on the world stage that it used to. There's less attention from overseas now because we're kinda just irrelevant, or at least can't really compete against the behemoths in America.

Back on that first point though. Just to name a few successful 'working class' (to the extent it still exists) TV shows from the last two decades: Shameless, Peep Show, Inbetweeners, Outnumbered, Vicar of Dibley (ran until 2020 if you can believe it), Black Books, IT Crowd, Little Britain, Cuckoo, or even Waterloo Road. And that's obviously ignoring the fact that Coronation Street, Emmerdale, Eastenders, and Hollyoaks are all still actually running as well since god knows when.

Finally, all of this is of course ignoring the fact that films by Martin McDonagh are still getting made like Three Billboards and most recently Banshees of Inisherin.

liveanddirecht t1_iyd8duy wrote

Sorry We Missed You by Ken Loach is about as blue-collar and true as they come. Should be more like it.

hythloth t1_iydlwcl wrote

That was also misery porn though. Even laughed unintentionally at one part.

sAindustrian t1_iyejo77 wrote

> misery porn

> Ken Loach

hythloth t1_iyeti73 wrote

>!It was the pee bottle being poured over the guy's face that made me lose it!<

minimus_ t1_iydmnqn wrote

Bait was a good recent film about a working class community.

green-samson t1_iydo12f wrote

Nobody thinks they are working class anymore, to me it seems that most people have aspirations to be rich and fake. Poor or struggling and gritty or real just doesn't cut it any more.

ihaveadarkedge t1_iydkd03 wrote

I, Daniel is a 2016 film about the grim truth of someone on welfare. It caused a huge stir when it was due to be released because of the pushback from the UK government.

PhysicalGraffiti75 t1_iyd97m0 wrote

Our lives became very depressing and stories of inspiration are few and between.

I don’t want to be reminded of my job and how much it sucks to be me.

deemthedm t1_iye56ep wrote

Working Class folks in general aren’t having their art heard or promoted. It’s hard enough to make art when you have no set schedule and absolutely random hours of work on top of extreme turn arounds. No money, no free time. Just absolutely not relatable to those who actually have the privilege to make promotable art. Shitty times

DeathByOrangeJulius t1_iyeieyy wrote

Around the 2010s it turned into mostly bland and uncreative social realism, I remember Tyrannosaur and Attack The Block were the only one of that era I really enjoyed that I suppose would fall into the same catagory.

dennythedinosaur t1_iydaaev wrote

One of the most recent I've seen is The Selfish Giant (2013), about two poor teenagers who start working at a junkyard for a shady scrap dealer.

Very good movie but depressing and not fun to watch.

MotuekaAFC t1_iyf15r6 wrote

Would Boiling Point count? Or is that not generically working class enough for the author. What a great, fresh, film that was.

Dknight560 t1_iydhqaj wrote

There's no financial support for things that aren't made for the middle class or american audiences

ReddiTrawler2021 t1_iyel7jn wrote

Doesn't the spectacular almost always take precedence in cinema over the ordinary?

And British cinema has evolved and grown over the years. WOrking-class stories were once a solid niche, now they are more relegated to TV.

That said, Vera Drake was a fairly recent working-class tale and it did get enough attention.

necromancer167 t1_iyeuuj7 wrote

Working class stories seemed to have moved to Television along with the associated creatives behind them, which is understandable as that's where the work is. We are also in a recession so probably happier/aspirational stuff is an easier sell lol

Timoat t1_iyd9upp wrote

Ouff, i remember how excited i was that gary oldman was making this. Now im an old man.

monchota t1_iyddmq1 wrote

Because that time , alot of your people working on Hollywood were not that fsr from working class. Maybe a generation out, now most of Hollywood is generational wealth and hard work is stories about thier great grand father. Its why alot of your shows and movies from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s are much more reliable than newer movies and shows.

LordRiverknoll t1_iydida8 wrote

We started living the blue collar lives with starry goggles on

FartingBob t1_iydj41d wrote

Here in the UK there's been a massive decline. Full Monty is still one of the biggest films of all time in the UK despite being nearly 30 years ago. We had a huge number of films and tv about downtrodden working class people struggling through life in the 70s-90s. Nowhere near as common these days.

damiami t1_iye5r21 wrote

I’m loving Gary Oldman in Slow Horses on Apple TV+. It’s the best thing I have seen recently out of all my streaming channels.

Curse_ye_Winslow t1_iye78rl wrote

I don't think the equation has ever changed. A studio can make any genre of movie, but if the audience doesn't want to see that, the studio isn't gonna fund it.

sixo8zex t1_iyfcv3x wrote

Anyone seen Looking for Eric? Working class, mental health stuff, addiction, gangs, football. And a really sweet, lovely film. 2008 or thereabouts

GoodPeopleAreFodder t1_iydcqk2 wrote

The Kardashians and their ilk - that’s what happened.

−2

sixo8zex t1_iyfd602 wrote

Flea bag was fairly working class ish

−2

lauchs t1_iyddaz5 wrote

Marvel super heroes aren't working class so...

Edit: a grammar

−3

VivaArmalite t1_iydgi78 wrote

The market spoke. Audiences want glitz, glamour, and hateable rich people.

−5