As someone who goes to Keene State... yeah

TurretLauncher t1_jdga6xu wrote

Details?

SlyOlAbe t1_jdgk0tr wrote

pumpkin fest riot

Ryan-The-Movie-Maker t1_jdh7u7p wrote

Hey, to be fair that wasn't us. That was people visiting from Plymouth

IeMang t1_jdj1c8b wrote

Yeah that was largely non-KSC students. There were still KSC students participating, but they weren’t the majority. I knew a few people who were either expelled or “suspended” (for lack of a better term) for the rest of the semester or year without reimbursement for the tuition they’d already paid. The administration took the whole situation very seriously, and any KSC students who were proven to have participated in the mayhem and destruction were punished harshly.

Also to be fair to the current students, that was seven years ago. Nearly two classes of graduates have passed since then, so it’s not like the current student body had anything to do with the whole thing. Most seniors now were probably around the age of 15 when the riots happened.

SlyOlAbe t1_jdhtjt4 wrote

I was in it. It was locals + the colleges around. Tbh I do blame Plymouth more than KSC and UNH

wakkywizard69 t1_jdfx9ol wrote

Keene State

Teacherman6 t1_jdfyrsi wrote

I heard it referred to as kinda sorta college and it'll never be the same.

Could this also include Franklin Pierce?

Baranjula t1_jdg2qbt wrote

Maybe but they don't typically make the papers for rioting, mostly just when there bubble collapses

Queasy_Turnover t1_jdh9upk wrote

I live in that area and see kids with FPU hoodies on pretty frequently and they all seem like your average college kid. I'm assuming a lot of the younger people who work at the grocery stores in the area go to that school too and they also seem fine.

TedBundysVlkswagon t1_jdgjt07 wrote

Why does Keene get such a bad rap? I’ve heard this more than once.

IeMang t1_jdgx5fv wrote

It’s relatively small as far as colleges go. It feels sort of like a large HS campus. Additionally, since it’s a small state school it doesn’t attract the most serious students. Many of them call it either “keg stand college” or “kinda sorta college” with pride as they do the bare minimum amount of work to pass their classes so they can party as much as possible. There was also the great pumpkin fest riot of 2015 which certainly tarnished the school’s reputation.

It’s not a bad school though, and a lot of graduates have gone on to do some cool stuff. Their biology and chemistry programs were really good before Covid (they’ve had some faculty layoffs since which has stretched everyone thin and led to fewer available classes each semester), and they’ve also got a pretty good occupational safety program.

Source: I was one of the “keg stand college huhuh” students my freshman year and nearly failed out. I took a year off, worked a shitty job, did some traveling, and then went back to KSC to retake a class I had failed and boost my GPA so I could go to a more serious university. Met a cool girl, decided to stay and ended up declaring biology as my major, broke up with cool girl, still decided to stay because my professors were incredible. I buckled down, became a straight A student, and was presented with some really good opportunities many students at “better” institutions don’t get. I was an author on multiple papers due to my undergrad research, made connections with labs at larger institutions and got to collaborate with them independently, and I presented my research at multiple conferences. I also secured employment within my field a few weeks before graduating, as did many of my peers. The school’s biology program has an extensive network of students working in biotech now, and it’s made it very easy for graduates to get their foot in the door.

So yeah, KSC gets a bad rep, but so do most small state schools. In KSC’s case I think it gets a particularly bad rep because of the pumpkin fest riots from 2015 which made national headlines and embarrassed the entire town of Keene. It’s hard to be taken seriously as an academic institution when that’s what everyone knows you for. There are certainly worse choices than KSC to attend though, and the college is actually ranked fairly high in terms of value among liberal arts colleges nationwide. It’s a decent school all and all.

TedBundysVlkswagon t1_jdh6t2k wrote

Thank you for this detailed explanation. :) Sounds like a fun school, and congrats for turning things around as a student.

GraniteGeekNH t1_jdh9don wrote

Keene is a pretty cool (very) small city, partly because it has KSC almost downtown. That makes a difference even if the school isn't world-class.

boldolive t1_jdi7xon wrote

Yeah, and Keene also has Antioch University, which brings a lot of very smart and talented older students to the area who have done a ton to improve the community. One example among many is that the Monadnock Food Co-op was the brain child of two Antioch students; writing a concept paper for the Co-op was their final graduate project, and they were deeply involved in raising money to build the Co-op after they graduated.

ThunderySleep t1_jdiw38d wrote

Almost any school will be what you make of it, but the small state school stereotype's a thing. Where I grew up had a couple of them. Fine schools, but most people are going to experience college and because it's what they were supposed to do, then move straight back to their hometowns to become teachers, cops, nurses, or work at some relative's business etc.

catsrule_meow t1_jdh8rhf wrote

Pretty much just the riots from 2015 but to me that seems like old news? I graduated a little before all that happened. It has always been and probably always will be a “party school” … but that doesn’t mean you can’t do well in school while having fun (like a normal college kid).

Personally I was super serious about my grades, graduated over 3.9 GPA, and I’m very happy with my career several years later. I also went to my fair share of parties and bars and came out with some good friends. It was a win/win for me :)

akmjolnir t1_jdhskxa wrote

Flatlander fuck-trophies going for Safety Studies.