Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SomeSortofDisaster t1_iuxciqd wrote

Hiking is pretty cheap until you start buying good gear.

reddituser6213 OP t1_iuxewjo wrote

I’m honestly getting a little bored of hiking. I do it too much I think. I need to spice things up but I got no money

cerryl66 t1_iuxw21l wrote

Sometimes the ski areas sell their old rental equipment for peanuts, you can try calling them up and asking if they have anything like that coming up.

603cats t1_iv5u2o5 wrote

Yeah I'm kinda in the same boat, I did it most weekends in the summer and now I'm looking for something different to do.

NckMcC t1_iuz9qrx wrote

Split my firewood for me. You can do it free of charge

nobbyv t1_iuxpvmg wrote

Disc golf is very fun and pretty cheap. You can get a set of three discs for about $30 that will work perfectly fine and last you (in theory) forever. We have a lot of good courses in NH, and they are all free to play. If you’re not familiar, there are “holes” just like in regular golf, but instead of being in the ground they are about 5’ tall and actually sort of look like a bowl with a pole in the middle, and chains coming down to the edges of the bowl from the center pole. You have tees just like in regular golf, and you throw one of your discs (they’re basically small frisbees) and try to get as close to the hole as possible until you’re close enough to throw them in. The courses are set up on town-owned land and wind through the woods. So you get to explore the forest (sometimes a bit too much exploring if your disc goes off course), get some exercise, and have some fun. I’m very much an amateur (read: not good at all) but have found the disc golf community to be super friendly and very non-judgemental.

[deleted] t1_iuxptyn wrote

if you have no money, some towns have free equipment exchanges for winter based activities. Maybe reach out to them see if you can get a free board and some boots or even ice skates for ice skating somewhere.

Dubbsss14 t1_iuyixhw wrote

Ever tried disc golf? Pretty fun if you’re into that kind of stuff.

McMagz1987 t1_iv0a1j7 wrote

Seconded! Also I’m really bad at it and only go like twice a year… I see people of all levels out there enjoying it! Just make sure to let faster players play through.

mellowMangos t1_iuyto4y wrote

Waterfall hunting. Its hiking, but more fun IMO. When the water is super low, you can go straight up riverbeds in all sorts of places. Because you’re following a river, its basically impossible to get lost. Download Gaia and go explorin.

Try the Ellis river east of Mt Washington for a start.

Also Canoeing/kayaking if you can get your hands on a boat.

HiiiideeeHo t1_iuzf09o wrote

Cross country skiing is much cheaper than downhill. Awesome cardio in addition to a challenging hobby.

Mogus0226 t1_iuxcct2 wrote

Snowshoeing in the winter

An inflatable stand-up paddleboard in the summer

Birdwatching all year round

Each of those is a bit of a pricey investment initially (around $300 for a good new set of binoculars / an inflatable SUP / a snowshoe bundle) but gets you more than a few years of use out of them, and gives you quite a few things to do all year round.

And, as mentioned, look on FB Marketplace for used/cheap gear, such as a mountain bike or kayak.

01Zaphod t1_iuzcsew wrote

I know this isn’t a solo adventure, but have you thought of being a volunteer for a something? Like a community kitchen, a conservation commission, a rails-to-trails committee/worker, an inmate advocate, a Big Brother/Big Sister, etc.? It may not seem all that awesome or cool, but if you care for or have empathy for others, you will get to meet like-minded people with these activities. Think outside the box…there are a lot of opportunities to improve yourself, get a great recommendation for your work and improve who you are as a person.

Honestly…if I could go back in time and make some changes in my past, I would focus more on what I could have done that was service-oriented. I focused on me and where I would end up and how much I would earn…sure, it got me where I wanted to be and it keeps my family secure & happy, but I think I would feel a lot better about my life path had I given more time to service for others and actually made a difference in this world. Just a thought. Sorry for weighing in so heavily.

reddituser6213 OP t1_iv6nvet wrote

I’ve never considered that but I’ll look into it. I have been focusing more on myself lately

Bobtom42 t1_iux9ode wrote

Go birding. Tons of apps that make it a lot easier to figure out this little sparrow from that little sparrow.

seanwalter123 t1_iuxkddn wrote

Kayaking, ice fishing, but a cheap beater sled and romp the trails. Some of the best riding you can do is on 1000$ beaters you don’t really care about lol

Glass-Vegetable138 t1_iuy5867 wrote

Rock hounding, mushroom hunting, maple tree taping, foraging the possibilities are endless!

Anxious_Aide_2091 t1_iuxaez0 wrote

Snowshoeing, geocaching

reddituser6213 OP t1_iuxeobw wrote

Do you have any good geocaching app recommendations? I tried it once but only found areas in like parking lots. I would want to go geocaching on hiking trails or secluded forests or something

bougie603 t1_iuxbccv wrote

Fishing, Kayaking, snowshoeing, hiking ... Take a look on FB marketplace for cheap gear! You can find $100 kayak and will have it for life! Also, bikes ... seems like a lot of people get into a hobby and loose steam. Buying used is a great way to get outdoor gear for less!

DeathfireD t1_iuz351f wrote

slack lining

outdoor rock climbing / bouldering (all you need is a crash pad)

Look into joining a town's conservation group. Most do regular hiking/biking trail maintenance and need all the help they can get. It can be fun if you're into that type of stuff.

Metal Detecting for artifacts (just pickup a $150-400 metal detector)

Gold panning

Build an Axe Throwing target out of stumps and have fun axe throwing or learning how to throw knives.

Photography

frasierandchill t1_iuzbz9a wrote

Learn how to forage! Berries, herbs, fungi - it’s SUPER fun, and not only is it free, you actually gain something!

gweased_pig t1_iv0u8pp wrote

Every walk in the woods is a treasure hunt. It's like you are six all over again

basiicswamp t1_iv1djaw wrote

Absolutely love this suggestion! Definitely worth giving a shot if you enjoy learning about the things around you and the benefits of them

Hextall2727 t1_iux9gae wrote

The entry expense is relatively high, but fat biking is year round fun. Once you buy the bike and helmet... basically, that's it. There's a pretty vibrant community of people to meet who fat bike. Good bikes are pretty expensive though, and likely more than you indicate you want to spend.

You could probably get some inexpensive fishing gear. I combine hiking and fishing in the whites to get my sanity restored. Granted, that's not exactly a year round activity.

reddituser6213 OP t1_iuxeg17 wrote

Are there nice biking trails for fat bikes that are similar to trails you’d find for ATV stuff? Because that would be fun and I guess a little cheaper

[deleted] t1_iuxpzkz wrote

green woodlands is a great option. Not sure about winter though.

Hextall2727 t1_iuxew94 wrote

yeah, but usually the biking trails are singletrack. It's really mountain biking, but there's often a contingent in the winter that sets up the biking trails so that fat bikes can use them.
Which reminds me... another cheap activity... snowshoeing. that's how a lot of the fat bike trails get packed down to ride on. So it can kind of expand.
There are MTB bike groups all over the state, and then usually fat biking groups are a subset of those.

Jack_Jacques t1_iux9xpq wrote

Hike

reddituser6213 OP t1_iuxe1jf wrote

To be completely honest I’m getting a little bored with hiking. Is there anything else affordable I can do to spice things up?

MarieCurieNotMaMere t1_iuxprz6 wrote

Check Concord parks and rec. Looks like walking, pickleball, dodgeball, yoga, disc golf. If you're looking for cheap, any local rec that offers adult classes might be good.

crxcialx t1_iuz34hr wrote

Try urban exploring. there’s some good spots around New England if you don’t mind driving

01Zaphod t1_iuzaph0 wrote

Excellent idea, but one thing to be mindful of: take a buddy! If you get hurt, there’s only YOU to get yourself out of the situation. There are a LOT of places in NH and VT where there is no cell service.

runbikefreespirit t1_iv0j32t wrote

Cross country skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing… try looking in your area to see if there’s an upcoming ski/skate sale where people donate/sell old equipment for cheap.

mixolydian8 t1_iuxgaj8 wrote

An old pair of skis and boots off FB marketplace and an Indy Pass will get you into downhill skiing for under $500. It’s not free but its not a lot for a whole winter of entertainment. Plus Indy lets you finance interest free.

lacnibor t1_iuxs3pw wrote

Or you could purchase a pair of cross country skis for the price of two days down hill and pay nothing to minimal fee.

Relleomylime t1_iv0x2wq wrote

I don't know what your budget is, but for snowboarding, skiiing, xc skiing etc, a lot of shops do seasonal leases for under $200 for the winter. http://www.swsports.net/boot-club

If you're a college student you can get a winter college ski pass that's multi mountain for about $400 right now, if you're not a college student you can usually find a midweek season pass for <$500 to many mounts, or you can get an xc ski pass to Gunstock for $200 for the season.

Snowshoes are relatively cheap, and you can get them on FB marketplace or craigslist used for under $100.

reddituser6213 OP t1_iv6nec6 wrote

200 dollars is doable. I am very interested in trying out snowboarding this winter

modernedaphne t1_ivjgd4s wrote

Disc golf. Check out Breaking Chains for discs and guidance.