Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Wormhammer420 t1_ivxow6p wrote

I work in the cannabis business in Maine.

It’s more then just selling it, it’s growing it, extracting it, making edibles, testing them, packaging them and securely getting them to the store.

The NH liquor model sells booz they don’t produce any of it. That’s a huge flaw in this plan. Who will produce these products?

crescentkitty t1_ivy2gk6 wrote

Just a general question because I lived in Oregon where MJ is legal and moved back to NH recently. Are all MJ sales places in Maine medical only? When I go to Kittery it all seems that you need a card. Is it legal in Maine? Only asking because I take CBD for anxiety but would like a little more THC content in it.

Wormhammer420 t1_ivy3uoa wrote

Yeah it’s both medical and recreational.

Try Weedmaps the app. Very helpful to find spots. Recreational stores only need an ID and to be 21 plus. Any state ID will work or passport

VenserSojo t1_ivxx2a1 wrote

That's where the federal law gets in the way, if federally legal the state could buy from wholesale distributors that would inevitably pop up.

BigMax t1_ivxupmw wrote

It’s a flaw, but can’t they legalize all the business that make up the weed production pipeline but then just keep the final step of sales for the state only?

For example, in Mass, the growth, testing, and sales, are all split legally, so any company can only ever do one. NH could do the same, plenty of folks would line up to grow and test, even if it was only the state who could do retail.

VenserSojo t1_ivxxd8c wrote

>It’s a flaw, but can’t they legalize all the business that make up the weed production pipeline but then just keep the final step of sales for the state only?

That is an option depending on the specifics but might not be the most practical, also the state would still have issues selling the way it wants until the feds give up on the war on drugs, so at the earliest that won't happen until 2024 to be used as a carrot for an election.

Hoops867 t1_ivz170s wrote

Once it's legalized federally, weed is free to cross borders. They can just order it from California or Missouri or wherever.

It will decimate local producers in states that can't easily grow it outdoors aside from small craft growers that puts out a product people want to pay a premium for. You just can't compete with the price.

The edibles manufacturers might be okay, but concentrate producers might struggle if the local growers collapse for not being able to compete with the price in a federal market.