Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

nhbruh t1_j1zi10m wrote

You underestimate the uniquely human ability to fight and complain about one thing and in the same breath complain about the consequences of said position

baxterstate t1_j1zkm0w wrote

You’re right. Self awareness is rare.

I once lived in a 3 family in Boston. They called them 3 deckers since 3 apartments were stacked atop each other. Many were built between 1890 and 1930. Great concept: 3 dwelling units on one small lot. Suddenly they stop building them. Can’t understand why.

YouAreHardtoImagine t1_j1zqxob wrote

I lived near those growing up. My guess is updated building codes and safer materials. Those were almost always the first to go up in flames, wiping out some entire families and catching the buildings next to them on fire.

Edit: Downvoted for adding experience of living around them. Okey dokey, Reddit.

ZacPetkanas t1_j20pwjd wrote

> Edit: Downvoted for adding experience of living around them. Okey dokey, Reddit.

Forget it Jake, it's Reddit.

You can post a fact with citations and still get downvoted.

UnfairAd7220 t1_j20h81h wrote

Upvote for reality...

Begs that same question: why an improved version couldn't be built now

baxterstate t1_j221zj5 wrote

They were initially built for lower income people close to public transportation or even walking distance to work. None ever had enough yard space to build a barn for horses and wagons.

Having lived in one, I can say that the biggest drawback was that you could hear the person above you walking around, and if you lived on the third floor, carrying a couple of grocery bags up 3 flights of stairs got old quickly. The next biggest drawback is there's typically no space for expansion as your family grows. Some people combine two apartments into one, but that's awkward.

Bottom line is, there's a crisis in NH of not enough housing and three deckers seem like an ideal solution.

It's also good for a first house with tenants paying your mortgage for you and tenants having quick access to the landlord.

Something else that no one mentions; having 3 apartments is great for inlaws so that you don't have them sharing your kitchen or bath, but they're still close to babysit for you.