Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TheMensChef t1_j3qkswv wrote

What happened to arresting people and then not letting them go because they’ve obviously shown themselves to not be fit for civilized society?

I’m from NY, we see this all the time since the “bail reform” bill witch has violent offenders being let back onto the streets the same day they’re arrested.

SmithAndForge t1_j3r3yl5 wrote

I'm pretty sure that law only releases people who committed misdemeanors or nonviolent felonies.

IntelligentMeal40 t1_j3rg0lt wrote

My ex-boyfriend violated a restraining order, the judge says he has substance abuse issues and mental health issues, yet he violates a restraining order and they give him PR bail even though he is on probation at the time. Probation officer doesn’t care so he successfully complete probation even though he committed a whole new crime while he was on probation, he doesn’t show up for a restraining order Court, so he gets a bail jumping charge on top of the violation of restraining order. Then they arrest him like a year later, they give him PR bail again, they offer him a sweet plea deal where he only has to go to jail for like five days, which shouldn’t be a big deal he doesn’t have a job or a place to live so it’s not like he’s going to lose anything, he’ll actually get a warm bed and some food. But anyway he doesn’t show up for court, so he’s currently on the run from violating a restraining order in 2018 WHILE ON PROBATION that he has been arrested for twice.

LeverTech t1_j3rp8tr wrote

Glad to hear he’s your ex, sorry to hear you ever dated him.

manicmonkeys t1_j3qn0j4 wrote

All in the name of compassion and empathy. Too many people (on both sides of the political aisle) only have one tool in their belt, and it's a hell of a time convincing them they need a wider variety of tools (values).

farts_in_the_breeze t1_j3r8cau wrote

A bill witch has violent offenders being let back onto the street must cast some powerful spells.

_drjayphd_ t1_j3rhlvv wrote

Oh, they're the more strait-laced brother of the Bell Witch, they went to Wharton.

valleyman02 t1_j3rbhyz wrote

That's funny cuz the bail reform bills specifically mentions not to release violent offenders. Maybe the words you missed in the the article "alleged assault".

Has it become illegal to have green hair now?

doobie042 t1_j3shh9c wrote

Then they are releasing alleged violent offenders.

_drjayphd_ t1_j3rhphq wrote

Hey, at least he didn't have blue hair and pronouns. (gasp!)

−5

the_nobodys t1_j3rtp53 wrote

Don't you mean person didn't have blue hair and pronouns?

_drjayphd_ t1_j3ru27t wrote

That's... that's the joke. The whole "you must be an SJW with blue hair and pronouns which is the worst thing ever" thing if you express the slightest bit of empathy, or even choose to not dogpile on him for his appearance.

(I should probably mention some of my hair is blue and because I exist, I have pronouns, they're not any different than how I present or anything.)

−1

Parzival_1775 t1_j3wd2tv wrote

Bail reform does not entail granting bail to people who would not otherwise be eligible, it means reducing (or better yet, eliminating) CASH bail. If a judge released someone on any form of bail when there was ample evidence that the person was either a flight-risk or posed a danger to others, that's on the judge - not bail reform. Cash bail is classist bullshit, and needs to go. If a person is deemed safe to be released on bail at all, the size of their bank account shouldn't matter.

dj_narwhal t1_j3r9byr wrote

You are repeating police propaganda, the police have been on a soft strike in NYC for years now and blame it on anyone who dares say that the police could possibly look into murdering less unarmed children. But it will magically go away now that they elected a mayor who is directly under the boot of the NYPD and the real estate developers.

−1

Maldonian t1_j3td9cw wrote

Unfortunately the ACLU got catch and release into law in NH too. And the governor signed it.

−1