Submitted by CUontheHill t3_10oca8u in newhampshire

I graduated college and just moved to New Hampshire. I’m driving a family member’s car for a couple months and on the DMV site it said you don’t need to register a vehicle you don’t own in NH. But my car doesn’t have a front license plate since my home state doesn’t require it. I was wondering if that would be an issue.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

bigdog24681012 t1_j6duz82 wrote

If the car has a valid out of state registration, then you’ll be fine.

No front plate/inspection sticker might make a cop look twice, but once they see the out of state plate, you’ll be fine as long as it’s legally registered in the other state.

DigTreasure t1_j6dw9r0 wrote

Police cant ticket you for any plate or registration criteria outside of the state the vehicle is registered in. You only have to follow traffic laws.

RoadAdventures t1_j6i367q wrote

> Police cant ticket you for any plate or registration criteria outside of the state the vehicle is registered in.

I would suggest nobody takes this spectacularly incorrect opinion seriously.

There are not such loopholes in traffic laws - driving an unregistered vehicle will get you in trouble once a police officer notices that, regardless of what state the plates are from.

DigTreasure t1_j6i4ngs wrote

"Police will get you in trouble"

What kind of police training is that?

You don't know what you're talking about with that statement alone.

−1

RoadAdventures t1_j6jibrw wrote

My original statement:

>>driving an unregistered vehicle will get you in trouble once a police officer notices that, regardless of what state the plates are from.

Your "Quote":

> "Police will get you in trouble"

'Nuff said.

didntdonothingwrong t1_j6mfu9t wrote

Not true at all. This only applies to inspection requirements. The registration statute itself requires all vehicles driving in the ways of this state be registered. You can absolutely be stopped and ticketed/ towed if you have an expired out of state registration.

nottoday603 t1_j6dxsqp wrote

This seems like a pretty big loophole. Register one year in a certain state, then at the end of the year move to NH and never have to register that car again as long as you don’t travel back to your original state?

−5

CDogNH t1_j6e0zva wrote

Unregistered is not the same as being registered in a different state with different requirements. Driving an unregistered vehicle would absolutely be a problem if you got pulled over.

gmcgath t1_j6ee70o wrote

If you live permanently in NH, you have to register in NH.

DigTreasure t1_j6dz0hb wrote

Correct.

CDogNH t1_j6e11hq wrote

That is definitely not correct.

DigTreasure t1_j6e18qy wrote

Enlighten us.

CDogNH t1_j6e2tmn wrote

Driving an unregistered vehicle is not legal.

DigTreasure t1_j6e32gz wrote

Nobody said it was. I was highlighting jurisdiction.

CDogNH t1_j6e4zle wrote

I thought you were telling the guy that said he could move to NH and never register it again that he was correct. My bad.

gagt04 t1_j6ikfh3 wrote

You only need to register it in NH if the owner of the car lives in NH. As long as the owner of your car lives in whatever state it's registered in, you're good.

tulipinacup t1_j6drfb8 wrote

I haven't had a front plate in 3 or 4 years and have never had a problem (I keep meaning to put that thing on...). It's possible that you may be more likely to be pulled over for it than me because you have an out of state plate, or maybe no one will ever care.

Odywan t1_j6drjjo wrote

This is interesting because NH does require both plates unless it’s a trailer or motorcycle

tulipinacup t1_j6dsfiv wrote

I know I really do need to put it on, I just don't have the right tool for the strange bolts my front license plate holder came with and I forget about it until something reminds me. I'm getting an inspection next week so I'll ask them to put it on (thanks for the reminder CUontheHill!) but I've never been pulled over for it!

I haven't been pulled over for anything else in this car either -- maybe OP will be fine if they don't speed or do illegal driving things to avoid getting ticketed for no front plate? They did say it's only for couple of months.

Oldphile t1_j6dtf23 wrote

You're lucky. Day one of the month after my birthday I got pulled over at the Lee traffic circle for expired tags. The trooper was just sitting there waiting for expired tag victims.

didntdonothingwrong t1_j6mm11a wrote

Lol “victim”, said the person who made the conscious decision not to register in time.

Oldphile t1_j6mxgxa wrote

I did register, just didn't have the tags on and did have them in the car. He didn't give me a ticket.

sndtech t1_j6fa6c4 wrote

If the home state doesn't require a front plate the car is fine.

bikegovroomvroom t1_j6n8lge wrote

Havent had a front plate for about 5yrs, started to notice some looks in early jan. Got pulled in concord by a cop who said theyre giving me a warning “assuming im not up to anything malicious”…. Im a pale ass mid 20s white dude in a unmodified vehicle. Jus watch out theyre starting to be fussy about it lately.

tulipinacup t1_j6n8xb7 wrote

Good to know!! I swear I’ll get that thing on this week! 😂

Cost_Additional t1_j6gf62c wrote

You're fine. You don't have to get it inspected or registered in NH if it is titled to an owner in another state. Even if you live here.