Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

allonsyyy t1_je0l480 wrote

I get a CSA share from Walden Farms that I'm happy with.

pockems t1_je0nscd wrote

Same here - it's also where some of the fancier places like Atticus and Provisions on State source their meat.

lolaya t1_je0qyd2 wrote

Can you tell me more? Walden is a major grocery/market supplier too?

pockems t1_je104qs wrote

It's a regional farm share program that will deliver a case of great quality meat sourced from local farms - including steaks/sausage/chickens/etc. The catch is you don't have 100% control over what you get since they try to tailor it to supply /demand - but you can add on specific cuts on top of your share if they're available. Just as an example, last time I got about equal weights each of pork butt, chicken leg quarters, sirloin steak, ground beef, sausages, and whitefish (~10 lbs total) for about $100.

IMO it's not as good as having a good local butcher as you can't really request specific cuts and their variety isn't huge, but it's great quality and fun if like the challenge of building meals around what they send you.

allonsyyy t1_je39w82 wrote

I wanted to add, they're also a B corp, all local, sustainable, pasture raised. No feed lots, no factory farming, no children working in processing plants why the fuck do I have to say that now ugh.

You pick which animals, chicken beef pork and lamb. You pick your 'level', cheapest is just ground meat. I get the second one, just grinds plus, that comes with whole chickens, roast cuts and sausages on top of grinds. There's the fancy one, where you get primo steaks and stuff too. Then there's the fully customizable, 'order what you want' one.

You also pick your quantity, it starts at five pounds per month or you can do more in increments of five.

You can do recurring add ons, they have milk, butter, eggs, bacon and fish.

I like to get the lower tiers and add on what I want from their specials. The specials are seasonal, there's all kinds of stuff. Fresh local pasta, cheeses, breads (the sliced sourdough is killer), fish, meats, offal, dog food. They do holiday specials, like, you can order a turkey for Thanksgiving.

Everything shows up frozen, vacuum packed, in a reusable cooler, delivered by them. You put last month's cooler out the night before and they take it back. Easy peasy.

Ancalagon1 t1_je33x8a wrote

Have you had any contact with Walden recently? They gave me half my order over a month ago and I haven’t been able to contact them since.

allonsyyy t1_je37b44 wrote

Really? I only had to contact them once, years ago, and they got right back to me. Never had a reason to since. I know they've gotten a lot bigger in the past two or three years.