Submitted by ostoender t3_y5urlg in newhaven

Hello everyone! My girlfriend and I have been renting in East Rock for many years now. We love New Haven and we are strongly considering purchasing a home in Westville or Spring Glen, Hamden (East Rock is a little too expensive for the size of house we could afford). They seem very similar???

I feel like I have seen a few posts like this from a few years ago... it seems like the city is in even better shape than it was even like 3-5 years ago... but I am wondering if anyone can help offer any insights on what might be the better place to move... She works downtown and doesn't have a car yet, and I work in Fairfield County... so Westville could be a slightly better commute for each of us??

Does anyone have any particular ideas on why one area would be the better place to purchase a house?? Thank you!!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

losblvdos t1_islvwix wrote

I am a real estate agent and they are honestly both great neighborhoods. I just had a client struggling with this exact same decision. They felt like they got more for their money in Spring Glen but ultimately bought in Westville because of the Village (lots of great new/established restaurants). Homes in Westville are larger and it’s tougher to find fully renovated inventory. Much of the decision comes down to what is most important to you and conducive with your lifestyle. DM me if you wish, happy to discuss further.

HappyProle t1_islv4vr wrote

I was considering the same a couple years ago when I bought and chose Spring Glen. I much prefer driving Whitney over Whalley going downtown. It’s also only one more exit up on the Merritt for your commute.

OkayBrendan t1_isomnij wrote

They are very similar. I bought in Lower Westville last year (between Fountain & Chapel). I have family in Spring Glen, and spend a lot of time there for my young kid to see his cousins. They both have the same feel. Friendly neighbors/community/kids playing & riding bikes. The houses are close together & typically older. Neither is bad choice, and I my full response would be paragraphs long. Feel free to PM with questions, or come for a stroll around the neighborhood.

SPRING GLEN - will be easier to Buy, more inventory and slightly higher purchasing power. Best Video is there

WESTVILLE - much more practical commute to downtown, and more going on (Yale Bowl, Westville Music, restaurants/bars in the village)

For me personally, we did not have a DEADLINE to move and told our realtor "we would rather focus on Westville and hope the right house becomes available. If not, we know we would also be happy in Spring Glen"

Anecdotally, my wife is affiliated with the hospital and 2 of her co-workers recently moved (sight unseen) from out of state. Both ended up in Spring Glen because their realtors said "you do NOT want to live in New Haven!"....they both said they wished they knew this was an option when they drove down my street.

HartfordResident t1_isonop9 wrote

Westville would be a much better choice if you can afford it, especially considering the commute. It's also a nicer neighborhood IMHO, with more large parks right in the neighborhood itself, plus all the land trusts in Woodbridge, not to mention the Westville Village and its popular farmers markets and festivals.

Many people even walk from Lower Westville to downtown for their commute. It's closer to places like Rudy's than most of East Rock is. It's an easy bike ride from Westville to downtown or about 10 minutes by bus (there are 3 bus lines to choose from, so far better service than what Spring Glen has).

The downside is that the houses might be more expensive these days since that part of the city has been getting even more affluent.

Culturally there are some differences. Westville has a large Jewish population with several synagogues within walking distance, and more racial/ethnic diversity in general. Wealthy Black professionals tend to buy in Westville or Woodbridge for example. Spring Glen does not have that at all, but it has more white Catholics (though Westville also has a large Catholic church). Also Westville is known for having many LGBTQ families.

6th__extinction t1_iss8xai wrote

Temple on Whitney Ave next to Spring Glen church, lots of Jewish folks.

Way more crime in Westville.

RedditZhangHao t1_it0xmbe wrote

Also if a synagogue is relevant to OP, there’s a 2nd on Ridge Rd in Spring Glen.

awebr t1_isodmfk wrote

From a transportation perspective - both neighborhoods have access to bus lines to downtown, bike infrastructure to downtown (farmington canal vs edgewood ave cycle track under construction), are walkable, and are near route 15 interchanges. you might find more restaurant/shop options in westville than spring glen though. both great options!

brewski t1_istsos4 wrote

A lot of good advice here that I won't repeat. If you are planning to have kids, you might consider the school options. In Spring Glen your child will automatically go to Spring Glen Elementary, which I can say from experience is an excellent school. New Haven also has some fantastic schools, but for most schools you have to enter a lottery to get your kids a spot (which I also have experience with).

dangstax2 t1_isnxlth wrote

I’m a realtor as well, in my opinion if you’re looking to stay for the long haul and plan on starting a family I recommend spring glen more. I helped a family buy a house over there and what they liked about spring glen was there wasn’t a lot of cars driving through and a lot of kids outside playing without having to worry about a busy road.

6th__extinction t1_iss9142 wrote

Way, way more crime in Westville.

Spring Glen is nicer than Westville on the Ridge side.

HartfordResident t1_isvhlmj wrote

Both of these neighborhoods proper have crime rates that are way, way below the statewide average. And consider that CT on average is one of the 3 or 4 safest states in the US.

Most of the crime in nearby areas would be in areas with low income housing (like, in adjacent neighborhoods - for example if you are biking from Spring Glen to downtown New Haven you go through Newhallville on the canal trail a few blocks away, and that is probably the most disadvantaged neighborhood in the area) or in the big commercial areas (which just have crime incidents because of the overall amount of activity). For example many people have been carjacked in the Stop and Shop and other large shopping plazas next to Spring Glen. The neighborhood itself is very safe though, and given the number of people shopping in those areas, statistically your risk of being a victim is very small.

Wrong_Treats t1_iszw5vf wrote

Spring Glen is lilly white and a touch uppity. Too many Yale people per capita. Westville is much more fun and diverse.

−1

HartfordResident t1_it97hq8 wrote

I think there are way more Yale people per capita in Westville, but it's true that Westville is much more diverse (as noted above).