Submitted by paloxalto t3_10jktjl in newhaven

Hello,

I'm a 22M looking to move to the New Haven area as I got a job working at one of the colleges. I'm from Upstate NY and am looking to buy a single apartment in the area. I have a pretty low salary in the range of 45-55k range. I know its an expensive area but am willing to live far out or even in the smallest apartment if it just means I can make ends meet. Where are the cheapest areas to get an apartment that I can at the very least feel safe. I understand it will be tough with that salary but am really looking to start my life in New Haven and would like to know where to look to be able to make it happen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

paddyboombotz t1_j5kz4i2 wrote

Fair haven heights has a lot of good, cheap apartments. Also check out the yale housing Facebook group, lots of cheaper apartments there. City bus service is free for the foreseeable future so if you don’t have a car you can still live in the other peripheries where it’s cheaper and not be cut off.

[deleted] t1_j5l1714 wrote

[deleted]

paloxalto OP t1_j5l30nr wrote

I will be having a car that I have already paid for in full. Should I go car-less?

Kim_Jong_The_Illest_ t1_j5m9heq wrote

Depending what neighborhood you live in, you can walk or bike. When i worked downtown, I didn’t drive to work. But i definitely used it for grocery shopping, hiking, and a thousand other things.

Magtiffy t1_j5ohmsg wrote

Buses are only free until March 31. So if you have a car I’d keep it

roadpupp t1_j5li3wm wrote

Respectfully, This question is I asked every week and gets a ton of responses. Try searching those.

SnooChickens3698 t1_j5lcu1e wrote

Don’t move to the hill or the ville

Sweaty_Conclusion_80 t1_j5p5jve wrote

Ehh, a few years ago I’d agree but Yale is buying up a lot of real estate in both areas pretty quickly.

SnooChickens3698 t1_j5p6b2m wrote

I would argue that the property they buy is closer to down town as if they are expanding their territory

Sweaty_Conclusion_80 t1_j5p7tl6 wrote

They’ve been buying up a lot more in the past few years. Growing up, they didn’t move down Mansfield or Winchester or go over prospect. Then they got science park and have been pushing even north of division. They’ve been a bit slower to push into the hill, but even that is happening now.

aec131 t1_j5lfyd3 wrote

East Rock and Westville are both nice and relatively affordable compared to downtown.

italianstallixn t1_j5lm0mg wrote

If you're looking for cheap and close by, look at apartments in East Haven or Hamden, New Haven is a small city so even renting in a neighbouring town will allow you to get to work in around 15 minutes. I make the same amount as you and I spend around 1100$ a month to rent in Hamden. Apartments in New Haven proper can be pretty pricy because of the Yalies.

EmuBoth t1_j5lmvp2 wrote

uh New Haven proper has always had yalies- but its pricey lately lately because our town is in demand and the biotech thing

CluelessACL t1_j5m2re5 wrote

If you dont mind me asking, do you rent from an apartment complex? I was looking into Hamden but didnt see any drastically cheaper apartment complexes. Ive been told Town Walk and Aspen Glen are nice but they arnt much cheaper than some complexes i found in downtown.

Debsha t1_j5mtxu0 wrote

You mentioned “one of the colleges”, so not necessarily Yale. Depending upon which one might make a big difference. Any school, other than Yale, you will want your car, so parking becomes a factor.

OffSourceHQ t1_j5oxlaw wrote

Honestly it depends on your comfortability with areas that are actually decent but may not meet your curb appeal standards. There are actually lots of apartments that you can afford within your price range.

I would start by looking on Facebook marketplace at apartments for rent. Then check out Craigslist, then check out normal apartment websites.

Avoid areas like Westville, East rock, west rock, downtown, and over the bridge past fair haven because that’s were apartments get to be pretty pricey.

If you get me a number that works for you I’ll link some apartment options for you

eddie964 t1_j5peh65 wrote

Moderator' note: While we're delighted to see so much interest in moving to the Elm City, this question gets posted at least once a week. Please search first; if you still have a specific question that has not been addressed in the many historic discussions of this topic, feel free to post that. Mods reserve the right to delete duplicative posts.