Submitted by irishgambin0 t3_11gc97w in newjersey

about five years ago i quit driving just before my license was set to expire. when it did, i just obtained a New Jersey ID and let the license expire.

fast forward to today, i'm now living in Minneapolis, Minnesota. i scheduled a written test today at the DMV, which i passed. but because my license has been expired more than a year, i have to show the Minneosta DMV my NJ driving abstract as proof of holding a valid license in the past 10 years; this is so that i can skip the 6 month permit period and go straight to taking the driving test in two weeks. but thia cannot be done without my driving abstract, apparently.

i was going to get it from their website, but it has my old New Jersey address on file. this is a problem because you can't log in to get the abstract without a User ID that they directly mail to the address on file and cannot be forwarded. and when i call, i can't get through to anyone–it's just a directory that keeps sending me in circles and then tells me they can't fit me in.

has anyone had to do something similar and obtain their abstract from NJ for an out-of-state ID? how did you do it?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Viet_Conga_Line t1_jao5c05 wrote

You wouldn’t have to take the driving test or get the permit if you didn’t let your license expire. Never let your license expire, even if you are moving out of state. It can cause all kinds of issues.

You need to call NJ driver services and have them update your address and mail you the abstract. They might charge you $10. If you can’t get them on the phone, then you have to do the six month permit in MN. Both states are participating in AAMVA, which means that your records from NJ will transfer with you seamlessly. Once they get the abstract.

irishgambin0 OP t1_japtka2 wrote

i quit driving, indefinitely. i hadn't planned on getting my license for a very long time, and didn't care about keeping up with it.

i discovered that the only way for me to do this through MJ MVC is to get a printout of the abstract request form and snail mail it -> Trenton, then Trenton -> the abstract via certified mail. from there i'd take the abstract to the Minnesota DMV.

sucks it isn't very efficient; bringing them the abstract is just to get the appointment for my road test. that's a few ubers there ans back.

i'm not even sure how the hell i can take the road test without a car or knowing anyone in the state. 🤷‍♂️

Meowdave t1_jaowmda wrote

There are companies that can get it as well. Just search the internet and many will come up. Should cost between 25-65$ for you to have a MVR company get it for you.

FlameThrower18 t1_jaqsia1 wrote

There's a way to do it online with your social security number

irishgambin0 OP t1_jardoe0 wrote

tried it. NJ MVC keeps only your NJ address on file. so when you go to obtain it online with your social it automatically sets it to be sent to that NJ address and doesn't allow you to change your address in their system to anything but New Jersey.

FlameThrower18 t1_jare4w8 wrote

I have a link somewhere at home that let's you see it on the screen. I'll try to remember when I get home

irishgambin0 OP t1_jaretal wrote

oh really? that'd be awesome. thanks!

chachingchad t1_je24iiu wrote

I’m in a. Similar situation, (in another state and need this ASAP) has anyone figured out how to get this from NJ?? This whole process is ridiculous. Like it’s 2023, stuff like this should not involve snail mail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!