Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Playcrackersthesky t1_jcljoso wrote

I know you want to avoid agencies, but care.com has a specific section for elder care. You can select candidates with college degrees, with medical training, with elder care experience. It’s probably worth the $30 to register and browse candidates to interview. You can arrange to pay them in cash.

BaBaBroke t1_jcl4ras wrote

There are some bad actors on those apps so be careful. Screenshot their info from the app you find them on, photo copy their driver license and get their license plate number. Hide grannies valuables or put them in a safe that is bolted down. That is just for the property.
You might consider a nanny cam to make sure there is no elder abuse. Stop in unannounced.

Action_Maxim OP t1_jcl66xz wrote

We literally need like twice a week I do intend to get cameras

Large_Pride_931 t1_jcmlb5f wrote

I follow my town’s Facebook discussion group and often see people post about seeking help for their loved ones! People can provide resources or provide recommendations of people they know!

Thisismypasswprd t1_jcov208 wrote

I bet they never actually fond someone. I only see posts lookin for these servies- never offering

Large_Pride_931 t1_jcow1um wrote

I guess it depends on how active the group is! I usually see multiple comments and there’s usually at least someone who knows of someone or can at least offer advice

Soggy-Constant5932 t1_jcn731d wrote

We are paying cash for my grandmother too. Friends of the family are helping out.

Thisismypasswprd t1_jcov3ue wrote

This is the only way. To have family help, whether for a few bucks or not

Algae-Ok t1_jckz69f wrote

Try nextdoor app or Craigslist if you want to pay cash.. there are multiple apps now you can also hire someone off such as care.com… also your insurance might have references especially if they are on Medicare..

Action_Maxim OP t1_jckzsy1 wrote

She doesn't meet the qualifications to get a home health aid as she has no health issues, she's just old. So we're stuck waiting for her to have an issue which would probably kill her tbh.

MerWinterCakeGiants t1_jcm0l4c wrote

Do not use the service my apartment neighbors use. The old poor man screams in pain and says “help Me” any moment he is awake. Really sad life and the nurse or caretaker just throws on loud music to block out the man. At anytime if night and day.

Action_Maxim OP t1_jcm16oi wrote

Have you called the authorities...

MerWinterCakeGiants t1_jcm1byv wrote

What are they going to do? Are my neighbors breaking the law?

Action_Maxim OP t1_jcm2irx wrote

A welfare check at the very least or let the family know...

MerWinterCakeGiants t1_jcm6huo wrote

I have never seen any family before. Trust me I would let the family know that this man is in my insane agony.

D00TZpop t1_jcl3910 wrote

Call your legislators

−1

Action_Maxim OP t1_jcl62h1 wrote

What are they going to do...

D00TZpop t1_jcl8umi wrote

They can connect you with different government programs and organizations that can help with your situation. Most offices have case workers who deal with this sort of stuff everyday

Action_Maxim OP t1_jcla5f1 wrote

Lead with that friend, I thought you were being sarcastic tbh, I appreciate it and I'm making a call now.

−1

Thisismypasswprd t1_jcokkgc wrote

Why don't you at least do a 4 second Google search before you start complaining.

Action_Maxim OP t1_jcop6vt wrote

This isn't something they're upfront about also I spoke to someone and they don't offer anything other than phone numbers of services we aren't eligible for

Thisismypasswprd t1_jcouwgc wrote

You realize this is a shit ass job? Think about how much you'd have to make to do this job.. then add business costs on top and taxes too. ... only a truly wealthy person can pay to have someone take care of them.

Action_Maxim OP t1_jcoy3f4 wrote

Agencies make a shit ton so I'm looking to work directly with a caretaker for around 45 an hour cash. Being that the average hourly for this is under 20 I feel an untaxed 45 is fair considering I need someone to just microwave her food and make sure she is clean.

Thisismypasswprd t1_jcp99aj wrote

Wow finally.. yes I think you'll find someone for that rate if the hours work for that person. Keep looking for a friend of a friend of a friend. Thats your best bet