Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Zaknoid t1_jdngw40 wrote

Yet, there's states that have free beaches and still have them maintained and have lifeguards so they magically found a way to do it.

HiggetyFlough t1_jdnllro wrote

Well I assume the magic way is more taxes

RhymeGrime t1_jdnomlp wrote

Florida has less taxes and all beaches are free. Just saying.

Psirocking t1_jdo8tsz wrote

There’s a decent argument I’ve heard.

People don’t drive to Florida beaches from out of state and then go home the same day, maybe spending a few bucks on parking and food like they do here. People there spend hundreds on hotels and do a whole vacation there. If NJ didn’t charge for beaches you’d have people from PA and NY who would use the beaches here and basically contribute nothing in revenue.

Big_lt t1_jdor7er wrote

Simple, beaches are free if you show a valid NJ drivers license. All others pay the beech fee

ItllMakeYouStronger t1_jdqp4wm wrote

What about children and people who do not drive?

Big_lt t1_jdqssfm wrote

There are other state documents that can be used in place of drivers license.

Also, you don't need to drive to have a driver's lice se but it is the most common document.

HiggetyFlough t1_jdnq06w wrote

the argument would work better if Florida had comparable amount of taxes as we do and still had free beaches, instead they don't tax on a ton of stuff but still probably use property taxes on beach upkeep.

pantslesseconomist t1_jdnr49x wrote

I went to North Carolina last summer and the beach was "free" but there was no public parking for miles, so functionally it was private.

And there were lifeguards, but instead of on a stand, the guard was on an ATV patrolling several miles of beach. Hope she's close while you're drowning!