Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

takemynerjy t1_jeeevw4 wrote

I just don't believe annual population estimates anymore after they were proven so inaccurate by the 2020 Census.

Every year from 2011-2019, the annual surveys said we were losing population, especially cities. The media and certain think tanks went rabid over it. Then the actual count showed we net gained people from 2010-2020.

moobycow t1_jeegtzf wrote

I was coming here to say this. After a decades of "NYC is dying, people are fleeing" we got one year of, "Oops, our bad, NYC gained a lot of population." Then, right back to "NYC is dying!"

MatCauthonsHat t1_jeesjyv wrote

Well, the news stories accurately reflected that a number of older, wealthy, white, conservative voters moved from densely populated blue states with high taxes to more conservative places with lower taxes and much less diversity. At least in their neighborhood.

karankshah t1_jeg0bnr wrote

“This just in; people that stand to gain a lot by making you think the city is dying say the city is dying. More at 10”

TheFotty t1_jefl82m wrote

If we are losing so many people, why is it just endless new construction of condos and townhomes everywhere I look?

angusshangus t1_jefq04a wrote

yeah. see every town in western Essex. all new apartment and condo complexes. just drive down bloomfield ave...

Aggravating_Rise_179 t1_jeg8syi wrote

hell, I was on the 73 bus back to Newark this morning and the amount of construction along that line is crazy. East Orange is going through a boom right now, and so is Newark. Essex County is single handedly doing its best to absorb much of the housing demand that NY is not willing to build.

Aggravating_Rise_179 t1_jeg8kqy wrote

well, I do want to point out that this country tends to have a anti-city narrative in the media...

thebruns t1_jefo86j wrote

> proven so inaccurate by the 2020 Census.

Actually, it turns out the 2020 Census was not very accurate.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/06/08/key-facts-about-the-quality-of-the-2020-census/

Which shouldnt be a surprise. Census Day was April 1, 2020, at the height of pandemic panic. On top of that, the Trump admin underfunded outreach.

>the 2020 census overcounted household populations in eight states while undercounting household populations in six others. The states with overcounts were Delaware, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island and Utah. Those with undercounts were Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, Mississippi, Tennessee and Texas.

>By contrast, in the 2010 census, the Census Bureau estimated that no states had overcounts or undercounts.

Per the same article, the Census simply made up 10.85 million people because they assuemd they were doing a bad job reaching people due to the pandemic

Edit: lol imagine downvoting facts directly from the Census

If-You-Cant-Hang t1_jegpr0r wrote

I lost any faith due to the chucklefuck that kept ringing my doorbell like the week after. My GF at the time and I just moved into an apartment and guy said his whole basic “I’m from the census pitch” and I said we just moved in and we were already counted at our parents houses individually before we moved in.

Then he started asking more questions and I said dude leave me the fuck alone I just told you we were counted already. Then he rang the doorbell again after I hung up and kept talking saying he needs the information or he’ll have to come back again if I won’t give it.

At that point I said I’ll call complex security or come beat your ass, your choice, if you don’t get the fuck out of here and leave us alone because you’re being fucking weird at this point. Dude left. Luckily because 99% of my job at work is CYA I had wrote the guys name down out of habit. Found a number to call and told them exactly what happened and how I had to threaten the dude to leave. I said how I didn’t know if he meant to cause any harm at that point with how pushy he was after my initial answer or if he was even legit. Turns out he was a legit worker too, and they said they’d address it.

Fuck that. Whole interaction was weird and I lost any remaining faith I had in anything run by the state. I had to get to the point of threatening someone when I initially gave a polite answer to his question.