Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

CreatrixAnima t1_iu54boa wrote

I subbed once. I made $60 for the full day. Before taxes. Nope

Jake_FromStateFarm27 t1_iu5fmos wrote

Subbing starts at $85 thats a state law, please report the district to the state or DOE. Companies like ESS keep getting away with this because people never bother to report it. They screwed me over with health benefits I was never offered for a year long position!

Basedrum777 t1_iu5i0ky wrote

It may have been 2+ years ago when the $$ was lower

Jake_FromStateFarm27 t1_iu5mvt3 wrote

Nope it wasn't it's always been 85 min as I subbed in college years ago.

Basedrum777 t1_iu5rixc wrote

My wife is a teacher and subbed in college 2000-2004 for $60/day.

Time is long .

Jake_FromStateFarm27 t1_iu5t210 wrote

You're going from 2 years ago to twenty years ago man.

Basedrum777 t1_iu61gra wrote

I just mean they said in the past. This all got updated with COVID and it's different for every district (although as you said there's a minimum,). My point was you and I both have no idea when they did this subbing so telling them it was under the minimum isn't right.

CreatrixAnima t1_iu6cb97 wrote

It was four years ago, and a private school so…

Jake_FromStateFarm27 t1_iu6fs44 wrote

Granted it is private, they still have to follow labor laws.

CreatrixAnima t1_iu6xl8a wrote

Yeah but they’re not subject to the laws that govern public schools. This was probably in 2017. But it was 60 bucks.

Jake_FromStateFarm27 t1_iu6xz5r wrote

The law is for substitutes it does not distinguish between the two, I was subbing in 2017 as well. Did you perhaps not have a county/sub cert or no other state licenses at the time?

CreatrixAnima t1_iu6yetz wrote

Private school. It was a Catholic school and they paid dirt. I met all the qualifications.

Jake_FromStateFarm27 t1_iu6ylgt wrote

Then they were breaking labor laws. Private/religious or not they have to abide by state labor laws.

Jake_FromStateFarm27 t1_iu6z8j8 wrote

This is not NJ state guidelines so generalizations like this don't really apply. The state law is the state law.

CreatrixAnima t1_iu6zxbq wrote

And I didn’t serve in New Jersey. You made an assumption. But the fact is, nationwide, substitute teachers get paid crap. $85 a day is still crap for someone that’s expected to have at the very least a bachelors degree.

−1

Jake_FromStateFarm27 t1_iu709s1 wrote

You're posting and replying in r/newjersey where the fuck do you think we're talking about ??? It's absolutely shit I never disagreed with that either I've been repeatedly saying we need to be paid more.

jkurl1195 t1_iu6scz8 wrote

ESS doesn't determine the daily rate, the district does. ESS tacks on a fee for each day. I work as a sub for ESS and get 175/day. IDK about issues with health benefits.

Jake_FromStateFarm27 t1_iu6umdp wrote

They were supposed to offer the districts health benefits and they were not, it was completely different. The issue with wages is the state requires that subs that work more than 30 days in one school/district they are supposed to transition you onto a salary plan, ESS did not despite working a year in one school. ESS sucks.