Submitted by Clarine12 t3_xu4688 in newjersey

Hi, I am being offered a role with my current company in Rahway NJ office. My wife and I are thinking about relocation from Singapore to Rahway with our child who is approaching 2 years old. We plan to only bring the child along after we have settled in.

We were looking through websites/post for advice on accommodation, pre-schools, tax equalization etc. Would appreciate if any kind folks out here could point us in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

matt151617 t1_iqvwyph wrote

I wouldn't even consider it unless the salary they're offering you is at least $150k. Housing prices are still insane, and so are rental prices. Everything in NJ is expensive, and it's worse now more than ever with inflation.

brp t1_iqx4ple wrote

Not sure why you are being downvoted, as this is a huge move for OP and not worth it unless the pay is good, presuming OP didn't already want to move to the US for some reason.

CapeManiac t1_iqvlbz0 wrote

does it HAVE to be Rahway? Is the work there? Merck perhaps? Anyway- if you are simply working in Rahway you may want to consider somewhere else to live that is commutable.

MotorboatingSofaB t1_iqvowac wrote

You need to figure out a budget for housing and childcare. Im not sure about Singapore but childcare could easily get to 1500-2k a month (unless your wife is a SAHM).

333cdh333 t1_iqvwwg8 wrote

Not to mention most daycare centers are PACKED right now. Waitlists in NJ have been a nightmare since the pandemic. Most places that are accepting new kids without a waitlist are either really expensive ($2k+ a month) or very poorly rated.

ElderberryExternal99 t1_iqvm2ta wrote

What is your monthly budget for housing? Will be a big help to where you live.

BF_2 t1_iqw65o8 wrote

Have the Rahway HR dept. assist. That's their job.

brp t1_iqx4a86 wrote

Do you and your wife have a driver's license and will you have a car in NJ? The answer to this will heavily dictate where you should live since a lot of central and southern NJ is suburban with public transit more geared towards serving commuters going to NYC and not generally setup well for trips around town.

For working in Rahway, recommend taking a look at the surrounding towns that are a bit nicer like Metuchen, Edison, Highland Park, Cranford, and Westfield. Really depends on what your salary and monthly expenses are.

Zillow.com is a decent resource for house hunting (both rentals and sales) and they give some estimates for taxes and other fees as well.