Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

peter-doubt t1_j6i679r wrote

Dave van Ronk had a song to help you (or maybe confuse you): Garden State Stomp

themagicalpanda t1_j6i9zbh wrote

18/21 on the counties quiz

messed up Ocean, Warren, and Union

N0_ThisIsPATRICK t1_j6icalf wrote

I can tell by your choice of cities that you're not super familiar with NJ.

For example, I was surprised to see "Franklin" as one of the cities. While Franklin Township technically has a higher population, it's far less well-known than neighboring New Brunswick which you excluded. New Brunswick is much more of an actual city than Franklin. It is home to Rutgers University, Johnson&Johnson's headquarters, several hospitals, a large performing art center, an Amtrak station, etc, etc.

Using the population alone in determining which are "Major Cities" in NJ is likely to leave you with a map of some large suburbs that aren't really the cultural hubs of the regions. (See also, Cherry Hill vs Camden).

There are also some culturally or economically significant cities that could be added, if you so chose. (i.e. Hackensack, Fort Lee, Morristown, Bayonne, Hoboken, Asbury Park, etc)

Cool game though!

ansky201 t1_j6if4cd wrote

This is the type of thing they should teach in the public schools. My child spent 2 months learning about Egypt but probably can't locate 2 cities or counties on this map.

elomon t1_j6iil2j wrote

Noped out after Franklin - there are multiple Franklin cities in NJ. the quiz has it west of Edison which is Franklin Township. If you google Franklin, it is in the NW of the state just north of Sparta. Suggest swapping in something besides Franklin.

Gomer8387 t1_j6ij7rm wrote

You really missed a chance to screw with people on this test and put one of the Washington's on the cities version.

adgo1 OP t1_j6j67xg wrote

Thank you you very much for this valuable feedback! I indeed mainly looked at the population. I will improve according to what you wrote!

Edit: Dropped Franklin Twonship and added New Bunswick. Added Camden and dropped Cherry Hill.

sutisuc t1_j6jfg0q wrote

21/21 on counties but 18/21 on cities. This was fun thank you for sharing!

Girhinomofe t1_j6k4oj7 wrote

Shameless plug that my wife and I visited all 80 spots in the lyrics of this song and made a travelogue music video of the adventure— I am obviously way biased, but our video offers agreat way of seeing the varied landscape of some really oddball places in New Jersey.

On an aside, it was also probably the best thing I’ve done in the last decade-plus— the amount I learned about our state, the history, the nature, the food, the curiosities, the food (did I mention that) were priceless. I feel like I am so much better connected with our state, and there are a bunch of far-flung places that we now visit on the regular (deep Pinelands, Delaware Bayshore, all the classic lowbrow eats in the northeast) thanks to this song!

Smacpats111111 t1_j6kgen5 wrote

15/17 and 18/21. If I had highways on screen I’d have gotten every city for sure.