Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SKOLorion t1_j33iugf wrote

I agree with the point, but it's illegal in NY.

a. Traffic facing a steady circular red signal may cautiously enter the intersection to make a right turn after stopping as required by paragraph one of this subdivision, except that right turning traffic is not required to stop when a steady right green arrow signal is shown at the same time. Such traffic shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians within a marked or unmarked crosswalk at the intersection and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection;

SOURCE: Article 24 Section 1111

−4

metsurf t1_j33vyk6 wrote

Illegal in NYC not the whole state.

SKOLorion t1_j342kw2 wrote

That law is for NY state and not specific to NYC.

−5

metsurf t1_j34ocyj wrote

The original comment states right turn on red is illegal in NY . It’s isn’t in most of NY state.

111110100101 t1_j3518gm wrote

NYC is able to overrule the Vehicle and Traffic Law and set their own traffic rules per VTL 1642

lividtaffy t1_j34182t wrote

It’s specific to the city:

> You cannot make a turn at a red light if there is a NO TURN ON RED sign posted or another sign, signal or pavement marking prevents the turn. You are not allowed to turn on a red light in New York City unless a sign that permits it is posted.

Source: NYC Driver’s Manuel Chapter 4

https://dmv.ny.gov/about-dmv/chapter-4-traffic-control-2#:~:text=You%20are%20not%20allowed%20to,go%20when%20it%20is%20safe.

Reddit won’t let me post the link as a hyperlink for some reason

SKOLorion t1_j342fjc wrote

I don't think we're debating if you can't turn at a red light with a NO TURN ON RED sign. That's pretty clear. We're talking about whether you have to stop before turning when that sign isn't present.

lividtaffy t1_j346vpe wrote

The paragraph above the one I quoted covers that, you have to come to a complete stop then check to make sure the intersection is clear before you can go. Afaik that’s how all turn on red laws work, I’m not aware of any that allow you to roll through a right on red.